England for the World Cup? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England for the World Cup?

Malcolm

Why not? England fans have every right to feel excited and confident considering some of the results there’s been

All this faux outrage from Scottish people I’m hearing and seeing about England fans getting excited at the prospect of getting to the semi/final/win it etc is pathetic 

Whether we like it or not they’re still in it and have every right to fancy there chances

Personally I couldn’t care less if they won it or not, I’m more concerned about why Scotland are never at these things

Edited by DoonTheSlope
TA Specific though?

I have not seen a team left in it England have anything to be afraid of - but only if they play to their potential.

Southgate - unlike their media - seems to be saying all the right things about not looking beyond their next game.

Columbia will be tough opponents but if England win on Tuesday they will never get a better chance of winning it again.

Yeah, I agree with all of the above.  Colombia will be a real challenge for them, but then the final against a Brazil/France/Belgium a real possibility.  I don’t think we are much worse from a lot of teams there in terms of ability, but they are generally nit qualifying from UEFA.

England have achieved nothing so far - Team of water carriers - no one in their team is the main man in their domestic team apart from Harry Kane - if they have any success they will have over achieved - nothing to worry about - it aint going to happen - same junk every 2 years last 30 years 

They've got a great chance of making the final, although I do think that they are writing teams off purely because they aren't a big name team.

If their route was Colombia-Switzerland-Croatia then it might seem easy but teams like that tend to be a nightmare for England and Switerland especially will be a very difficult team for England to play against. I would even go as far as to say that Sweden would be tougher for England as they are strong at set pieces which is something England have been very strong at this tournament.

The tournament certainly has opened up for them, if they fail to make the final now the blowback will be pretty intense as the majority of their media is about to go into overdrive.

So far they have huffed and puffed against a bogging Tunisia team, skelped a Panama team that make Hamilton Accies look competent and were defeated by Belgium, in a match that would have had fitba stopped.

I admit that there potential path to the final is very 'do-able', but they aren't going to find any game against Colombia, Switzerland, Sweden, Croatia or Russia easy. 

If they do make it to the final, I can see them getting roasted off France or Belgium...just imagine Mbappe running at Ashley Young

BBC sports guy the other day, on the News Channel, said (and I quote) 'Columbia are up next and after that it gets even easier...'

Hope they get horsed royally at some point but I fear Columbia simply aren't up to it.

Don't really like Brazil much and can't stand cheaty, whiny wee nyaff Neymar, but I'm glad they're still in. The World Cup was starting to look like the 1967 Grand National with England cast as Foinavon.

If they win it, good luck to them...  the team seem a fairly decent bunch and Gareth Southgate a sensible and good manager.  I think that France, Uruguay and Brazil look better teams.. I would put England in the next tier with Belgium and Croatia.