Cricket World Cup 2019 - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cricket World Cup 2019

biffer

4 hours ago, Slide tackle said:

If you look throughout history maybe.  He doesn't rotate the strike, refuses to take singles and leaves far to much for himself to do in the final few overs and if he gives his wicket away the lower order batsmen have no chance at all.  Dhoni is a world class player however even the Indian media have criticised his strike rate and accuse him of playing out to many dot balls. 2019 Dhoni Imo is good to finish off an innings batting first however is no longer the man to single handedly chase down a total in the last 10/15 overs like he used to do.

I agree with a lot of that, his time is obviously coming to a close as he isn't what he was but I think he did exceptionally well to steer India into a position to run close, it took an exceptional bit of fielding to remove him. 

Maybe he does leave it late but he generally gets the job done. 

I know the rules were in place beforehand but thats pure farce. 

Surely it should be down to who loses fewer wickets in the event of a tie. Also, the additional four runs, I know it was accidental but no way should that stand either.  Great game though. 

That was the cricket snooker equivalent of Taylor v Davis in 86? You'll never see one like that again. Very enjoyable even if the wrong outcome.

NZ a small country populated by a lot of exiled Scots... snatching an incredible defeat out of the jaws of an incredible victory... blah blah di fucking blah...

9 hours ago, Farcity said:

I know the rules were in place beforehand but thats pure farce. 

Surely it should be down to who loses fewer wickets in the event of a tie. Also, the additional four runs, I know it was accidental but no way should that stand either.  Great game though. 

Deflections & suchlike are part & parcel of every sport. The only rule affecting that situation is that he’s not allowed to DELIBERATELY put his bat in the way. Nobody on the pitch thought for a second that he had so accepted it was a very (un)fortunate fluke.  It’s no different really than introducing a rule that says if a striker hits a ball that’s going wide which then hits a defender & bobbles in the net, that it shouldn’t stand. 

I kind of agree with you about the wickets v boundaries issue. Batting & bowling are both equal parts of the game, but the fact England were all out & NZ not would seem to be a sensible tie-breaker. Having said that, I doubt anyone expected that to be the deciding factor in a World Cup final. 

I thought the Kiwis were extremely sporting under immense pressure. The bowl before the deflection, their lad caught Stokes on the boundary & realising his foot was hitting the boundary marker tried to throw a relay catch. They could easily have unsettled England by arguing & demanding VAR but the guy with him immediately indicated 6 to the umpire. 

39 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Deflections & suchlike are part & parcel of every sport. The only rule affecting that situation is that he’s not allowed to DELIBERATELY put his bat in the way. Nobody on the pitch thought for a second that he had so accepted it was a very (un)fortunate fluke.  It’s no different really than introducing a rule that says if a striker hits a ball that’s going wide which then hits a defender & bobbles in the net, that it shouldn’t stand. 

I kind of agree with you about the wickets v boundaries issue. Batting & bowling are both equal parts of the game, but the fact England were all out & NZ not would seem to be a sensible tie-breaker. Having said that, I doubt anyone expected that to be the deciding factor in a World Cup final. 

I thought the Kiwis were extremely sporting under immense pressure. The bowl before the deflection, their lad caught Stokes on the boundary & realising his foot was hitting the boundary marker tried to throw a relay catch. They could easily have unsettled England by arguing & demanding VAR but the guy with him immediately indicated 6 to the umpire. 

Yip, I get that it was definitely not deliberate, but if it had trundled on and stopped short of the boundary there is no way Stokes would have taken an extra run as that would be deemed unsportsmanlike, that's the difference to a striker claiming a deflected goal.  Id like to think they will look at that ruling, as with the decider in the event of a tie. 

I guess you could compare it with the winner in a football cup final deflecting off the referee. 

For all the spawniness of that, it was a horrific error by Boult to concede that six on the boundary, poor guy must be gutted.

ITV  lunchtime News led with the banner. "England are the first country to  win the World Cup in Cricket, Football and Rugby." Just putting aside that its actually England and Wales Cricket who have won the ODI , one can hardly imagine a more pointless and meaningless headline 

Edited by EddardStark

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

ITV  lunchtime News led with the banner. "England are the first country to  win the World Cup in Cricket, Football and Rugby." Just putting aside that its actually England and Wales Cricket who have won the ODI , one can hardly imagine a more pointless and meaningless headline 

Ach we had the world's best golfer, curler and caber tosser first.