Cricket World Cup 2019 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cricket World Cup 2019

biffer

Anyone else apply for tickets? I got everything I applied for -

Sri Lanka v West Indies at Durham

Sri Lanka v South Africa at Durham

West Indies v New Zealand at Old Trafford

Semifinal at Old Trafford

Obviously it’s a disgrace that Scotland and more associates aren’t there, all down to the narrow minded, money focussed ICB, but a couple of good days out to come from it anyway.

On 7/1/2018 at 12:32 PM, biffer said:

Anyone else apply for tickets? I got everything I applied for -

Sri Lanka v West Indies at Durham

Sri Lanka v South Africa at Durham

West Indies v New Zealand at Old Trafford

Semifinal at Old Trafford

Obviously it’s a disgrace that Scotland and more associates aren’t there, all down to the narrow minded, money focussed ICB, but a couple of good days out to come from it anyway.

I would have if Scotland were in it but will just listen on radio now. I also think after our victory last month more people may have tuned in or actually gone to some games. It’s a brilliant game but on the whole it’s so misunderstood in Scotland and it needs all the help it can get. The worst game in the history of time, and I include bear baiting and cock fighting in this, started today and people will be glued to tv’s listening to grunting, watching a ball go over a net 4-6 times till it hits a wee boy or girl standing at the side and everyone sits down and hides their head in a bath towels or exclaiming at a group of celebrities who sit in audience with big dark glasses so they can fall asleep unseen yet I’m told cricket is too boring. 

Hope you enjoy the games Biffer. 

Below is exert from Guardian, Spin. 

Here is a rough guide to how things could be improved: a 14-team competition which requires qualification for two or four sides since the recent tournament in Zimbabwe, from which Afghanistan and West Indies emerged as the finalists and therefore participants in the 2019 World Cup, was such a riveting and worthwhile event.

There would be two groups of seven sides which all play each other. The top team in each group would have a safe passage to their semi-final; second and third in each group would play eliminators to reach a semi-final, as is the case in the Royal London Cup.

Such a system removes the criticism, which is often valid, that “we know who the eight quarter-finalists are going to be before the tournament starts”. That was almost the case in 2015 in Australasia. There was some drama along the way but seven out of eight of the “senior” sides made it; only England of that octet failed to do so.

Such a system might satisfy the Scots. If they play with the same passion as they did on Sunday they would surely book their place in the top 14.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what it was in 2015, although top four in each group went into semifinals.

I’m hoping that Scotland will at least get a few full ODIs against bigger nations in warm up matches, but I have very little faith in Scottish Cricket as an organisation to sort that out.

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Just looking intothe format of this, so the group stage lasts for nearly 6 weeks then there's 2 semis and a final? Farcical stuff!

All done to pretty much guarantee that England, India and Australia get to the semis leaving one place up for grabs. 

If the warm ups are anything to go by it will be a snoozefest. Folk getting clubbed all over the shop, shortened boundaries and roads to bowl on. It's not enjoyable at all when it's like that. 

Cricket needs to get its head out of its arse or it will continue to wither and fade away, leaving only T20 which is just shite. 

Come on the Kiwis. 

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Have to say that's an outrageous catch!

I genuinely thought that's one of the most remarkable pieces of athleticism I've ever seen. The catch itself was amazing but the whole way he positions his body & almost in a single move catches, falls, rolls & stands - he's described it as 'lucky'!

Decent total from Pakistan, but I'm pretty sure England will chase that down (despite it being a record for a World Cup if they do). 

Terrific result for Bangladesh yesterday, South Africa look really poor.

If anyone is interested, there are tickets on sale still for some of the games on the Cricket World Cup website.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 4:30 PM, Bzzzz said:

Morris Dancing with a baw... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............. 

Nice of you to rejoin us with your usual oh-so-desperate attempts to say you don't like cricket, despite the fact you comment on every cricket thread. Probably with your trousers round your ankles.

22 hours ago, biffer said:

Nice of you to rejoin us with your usual oh-so-desperate attempts to say you don't like cricket, despite the fact you comment on every cricket thread. Probably with your trousers round your ankles.

That the best you can do? 

Saw another good game on Monday whilst getting nicely toasted in Durham, Sri Lanka v West Indies. WI seem to have a better collection of young players coming through than for many a year, be interesting to see how they develop as a side. 

26 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

NZ into the final after India collapse!

Fantastic match though, I thought Dhoni had timed it to perfection but they just left too much and ran out of steam. I hope the Black Caps win it. 

Edited by Farcity

Fantastic game, and despite it being on a reserve day the atmosphere in the ground was brilliant. Guptill's throw was game changing. Henry and Boult at the start bowled brilliantly on what was a bit of a dog of a wicket. 

Edited by biffer

23 hours ago, Farcity said:

Fantastic match though, I thought Dhoni had timed it to perfection but they just left too much and ran out of steam. I hope the Black Caps win it. 

Listening to the commentator too much, Dhoni is a liability in a run chase nowadays leaves it all for himself to do, cares more about being the hero than helping the team

4 hours ago, Slide tackle said:

Listening to the commentator too much, Dhoni is a liability in a run chase nowadays leaves it all for himself to do, cares more about being the hero than helping the team

Aye okay then. I think the facts would suggest you are talking utter crap though. 

4 hours ago, Farcity said:

Aye okay then. I think the facts would suggest you are talking utter crap though. 

If you look throughout history maybe.  He doesn't rotate the strike, refuses to take singles and leaves far to much for himself to do in the final few overs and if he gives his wicket away the lower order batsmen have no chance at all.  Dhoni is a world class player however even the Indian media have criticised his strike rate and accuse him of playing out to many dot balls. 2019 Dhoni Imo is good to finish off an innings batting first however is no longer the man to single handedly chase down a total in the last 10/15 overs like he used to do.