Casuals - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Found that Aberdeen v Burnley thread quite funny discussing/laughing at the chat/hype regarding the modern day casuals/neds in Stone Island.

What’s everyone’s recollection of this phenomenon from back in the day ? Anyone involved ? From my point of view the scene was unavoidable if you followed your team back in the 80s and to some extent the 90s. Would describe myself as on the fringes at best. Enjoyed the fashion and music side of things but never really got into the widespread mayhem and scrapping. Was friendly with a few of the lads but could never get my head round skipping a match for a scrap or leaving a match early etc. Added to that, my reputation as a bevvier rather than a fighter I would most likely have been a liability, at the expense of my own physical well-being  to be fair.  Seem to recall being unable to avoid the odd  riot but have to admit, and to my eternal shame,  I suspect a few innocents may have got in the way of my drunken blasts.

For all the trouble undoubtedly caused, I have to admit to enjoying the football much more when there was a bit of a edge to going to the match

Anyone else totally embarrassed / secretly pleased at their input ?

Nah man if i'm going to fight anyone, I want the option to tap out, some rules and a referee to save me.

Getting involved in no holds barred mass brawls with pint glasses flying isn't my scene. I've been glassed before it was shit, been rattled over the head with a chib, that was shitter and someone tried to stab me with a screw driver once which would have been really shit.

Much safer for me to be a keyboard warrior on here.:)

38 minutes ago, phart said:

Nah man if i'm going to fight anyone, I want the option to tap out, some rules and a referee to save me.

Getting involved in no holds barred mass brawls with pint glasses flying isn't my scene. I've been glassed before it was shit, been rattled over the head with a chib, that was shitter and someone tried to stab me with a screw driver once which would have been really shit.

😂 Its very hard to disagree with any of that. 

I’m too young for all of that, 36, but I imagine that if I was born 10 years earlier and the area I grew up in, people I go to football with etc, I would’ve been involved one way or another, but as phart says, a pint glass to the face on a Saturday afternoon isnt my idea of fun. 

A lot of my pals say they had the time of their lives in the 80’s though. 

Each to their own I suppose. 

I was involved in one scrap once at tynecastle when they appeared from nowhere and were hitting anything that moved, including women if they got in the way. Had no choice to fight back. 

Mind watch an episode of Jeremy Kyle when I was a teenager, basically an ex hooligan was worried his son was getting involved in it like he did. The psychologist in the audience basically blamed the Dad. The camera would then focus on the Dad on and off and you could se him looking at the psychologist and mouthing he was getting a battering.

Thats the extent of my involvement with casuals. 

Apart from football factory and green street obviously.

13 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I was involved in one scrap once at tynecastle when they appeared from nowhere and were hitting anything that moved, including women if they got in the way. Had no choice to fight back. 

Wasn't a semi against Utd when Alex Miller was manager was it?

16 hours ago, phart said:

One of my Uncles was slashed by a moron who thought he was a Celtic fan as he was wearing a crucifix left to him when his best friend died of Cancer. He'd gone into the pub before a Rangers away game and it was a known Rangers casual who slashed him. 

Think I was about 10 when it happened. Coloured my view and I've never had any time for these kunts. 

Had the misfortune to encounter a couple of Hibs arseholes in Dunfermline before a game and had to give them a self defence slap to protect myself. Fortunately Im 6 foot 3 and they were only wee otherwise I would have been in big trouble. I'm no fighter so it was a significant stretch of my non existant abilities. 

First experience of casuals was at Shawfield, Clyde v Aberdeen must have been 1983 was bizarre at the time !!

Worst trouble I have ever been involved or caught up in is undoubtedly the Scotland v England game at Hampden 1989 - England (who had never came to Scotland in large numbers prior to that) had a massive mob hell bent on trouble, a few Scotland fans got stabbed that day & the pub we where drinking in  on Victoria Road got absolutely wrecked, mind you a few of our fans where no angels that day either !!

2 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

First experience of casuals was at Shawfield, Clyde v Aberdeen must have been 1983 was bizarre at the time !!

Worst trouble I have ever been involved or caught up in is undoubtedly the Scotland v England game at Hampden 1989 - England (who had never came to Scotland in large numbers prior to that) had a massive mob hell bent on trouble, a few Scotland fans got stabbed that day & the pub we where drinking in  on Victoria Road got absolutely wrecked, mind you a few of our fans where no angels that day either !!

Yeah that was absolute mayhem. Worst Ive seen by some distance. People out to inflict serious harm that day. Both sides if truth be told 

5 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

One of my Uncles was slashed by a moron who thought he was a Celtic fan as he was wearing a crucifix left to him when his best friend died of Cancer.

Horrible.

Not everyone knows, but Roman Catholics would have Jesus on the cross and Protestants don't.

(Pathetic reason for attacking someone either way.)

2 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Horrible.

Not everyone knows, but Roman Catholics would have Jesus on the cross and Protestants don't.

(Pathetic reason for attacking someone either way.)

That's the thing Scotty, his pal was a Catholic and my Uncle still wears it. 

As you know I'm not religious but I would never physically attack someone for their religion. Its just mind boggling. 

8 hours ago, dandydunn said:

That's a nightmare situation, I think similar one happened to our Support one night in Ukraine as well.

I only got involved in one sort of mob gathering, I was about 16 and a group of German school children were staying in the youth hostel and one of them had an air rifle. They were shooting into the peel and hit one of the mental folk in linlithgow, this was before mobile phones but somehow everyone got the word and there must have been a hundred folk there 15-20 and we panned in every single window of the youth hostel it was like a scene out of Frankenstein, the Germans must have been shitting it, almost set it on fire and then bolted. It took me 2 hours to get home the whole town was swarming with police.

9 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Had that with the Poles when Slasc Wroclaw pitched up at Tannadice and that was only 7 years ago.

Thousands of them, really horrid cunts attacked anything that night, kids, pensioners, females.  Easily  the worst crowd Ive ever seen in Dundee and that goes back to the 70’s. 

9 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

I remember that England game vividly. We had just passed the International Bar and suddenly the sky almost went black from the number of bottles being thrown back and forth. It was like a scene from a medieval movie with arrows being fired. Not much better in the ground. Always remember a policeman in the Celtic end smiling every time a coin was thrown into the England end. 

18 minutes ago, Stapes said:

I remember that England game vividly. We had just passed the International Bar and suddenly the sky almost went black from the number of bottles being thrown back and forth. It was like a scene from a medieval movie with arrows being fired. Not much better in the ground. Always remember a policeman in the Celtic end smiling every time a coin was thrown into the England end. 

Did the Away sections used to be the other end or back in the olden days was there not much call for an away end other than against the home nations?

On 6/29/2018 at 9:11 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

Did the Away sections used to be the other end or back in the olden days was there not much call for an away end other than against the home nations?

It was corner of East Stand next to the main stand. 

Pretty sure England never took an allocation in 89.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

On 7/1/2018 at 3:23 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

It was corner of East Stand next to the main stand. 

Pretty sure England never took an allocation in 89.

England had about 200ish in 1985. In my distant memory I had thought they were all in the front of the North Enclosure at the time, now North Stand. But they were actually in the Celtic end, which was also was the Scotland, certainly didn't have an official section. They got smashed and were climbing the fences to escape and were all gone by HT. Have 3 quite grainy pictures of the them scrambling over fences and being herded out, would post them if I could work out how to!! Sure one of them was in the goalnet behind Jim Leighton at one point.

1987 was bad. They definitely had a section that day. We got the train up from Dunbar, one of the first trains coming into Scotland from the NE England. Was heaving with NE mobs. Lots of bother that day. We also ended up getting the last train south with them on the Saturday evening, about 150 odd waiting to go to NE and about 5 of us from Dunbar, no police. They were fine, no hassle thankfully. There was bother in Waverley late into the evening though with Hibs looking for English going south and a fair bit in Glasgow during the day.

1989 the worst. A lot was made of the English coming up the via the West Coast but again there was loads coming from the NE. We got same train into Edinburgh and then decided to give getting the same train through to Glasgow a miss. As we were leaving Waverley a load of Hibs surged in and there was general mayhem, police caught a bit off guard as it was 10.30 in the morning. Tons of trouble outside, the police on horses at the back of the Celtic end were struggling to cope at end of game as loads of Scotland fans were going for the English section. Ended up meeting some mates and getting a bus home that night so missed centre of Glasgow and Edinburgh after the game.

1 hour ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

England had about 200ish in 1985. In my distant memory I had thought they were all in the front of the North Enclosure at the time, now North Stand. But they were actually in the Celtic end, which was also was the Scotland, certainly didn't have an official section. They got smashed and were climbing the fences to escape and were all gone by HT. Have 3 quite grainy pictures of the them scrambling over fences and being herded out, would post them if I could work out how to!! Sure one of them was in the goalnet behind Jim Leighton at one point.

Aye there was a wee pocket of them down the front of the Celtic end. As they were led out by the polis past the pipe band waiting to come on at half time, one of the pipers booted a hoolie up the erse to huge cheers :lol:

I was at the game in 89 but never saw any bother fortunately, we approached and left from the Kings Park side of the ground though.

Edited by Toepoke

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 7:09 AM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

1987 was bad. They definitely had a section that day. We got the train up from Dunbar, one of the first trains coming into Scotland from the NE England. Was heaving with NE mobs. Lots of bother that day. We also ended up getting the last train south with them on the Saturday evening, about 150 odd waiting to go to NE and about 5 of us from Dunbar, no police. They were fine, no hassle thankfully. There was bother in Waverley late into the evening though with Hibs looking for English going south and a fair bit in Glasgow during the day.

1989 the worst. A lot was made of the English coming up the via the West Coast but again there was loads coming from the NE. We got same train into Edinburgh and then decided to give getting the same train through to Glasgow a miss. As we were leaving Waverley a load of Hibs surged in and there was general mayhem, police caught a bit off guard as it was 10.30 in the morning. Tons of trouble outside, the police on horses at the back of the Celtic end were struggling to cope at end of game as loads of Scotland fans were going for the English section. Ended up meeting some mates and getting a bus home that night so missed centre of Glasgow and Edinburgh after the game.

I was only at 84 and 85 , both at hampden

am sure there were english fans at celtic end in both of these ,  but way bigger contingent in 85

i recall the rumour of icf doing the rounds, and was certainly a large group of english casuals walking to the game looking ‘proper tasty’

am sure some UJs down at front behind goal where tony woodcock scored in 84

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Heard there was a wee bit bother in Glasgow city centre yesterday between Rangers & Wigan fans (probably casuals) 

Aye I just missed it as I'd been at the Street Food thing in the Arches and then went to the Rhoddy Dhu for the Cup Draw but left about 6pm and this seemingly happened at 6.40pm.

Was tons of police about at that time so they must have had a fair idea there was potential.