Things for next season - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Things for next season

er yir macaroon

On 6/27/2018 at 1:04 AM, SteveHFC said:

Would be generally surprised if he's not called up by the end of the year. 

yeah ive always rated him, hes been unlucky at celtic really, he was a better player than callum mcgregor for a long time then mcgregor found his form

On 6/29/2018 at 7:17 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't think I'm the only one having serious doubts about Mcginn. McKenna will but will he still be at Aberdeen?

If McGinn's going to get good enough I think he has to leave Scotland. His current game works at that level, but it was woefully short against Mexico and Peru, doing little and repeatedly giving the ball away thru no ones fault but his own.

If he carries on at Hibs, he'll have no impetus to up his game and no need to because of the calibre of players he's up against most weeks.

Armstrong's in the English prem now, so pushing himself. McGregor's playing in Europe, so gets to test himself there. McTominay likely to be even more involved for Man Utd in the coming season. Cairney and McDonald in the English Prem now. Fleck getting another year in the Championship. Gauld in the senior Sporting squad for the new season. Jay Fulton likely to be a starter for Swansea this term. Paterson in the English Prem. Chelsea boy Ruben Sammut getting out on loan to play first team football for the first time, albeit at Falkirk this season.

To me, it's easy to see 23 year old McGinn getting left behind quite quickly.

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Apparently Islam Feruz still under contract at Chelsea. He'll soon be the most promising 40-year old in their under 41s.

It will be interesting to see what he does after Chelsea let him go (im amazed they just havent paid him off to get rid of him) i wouldnt be surprised if he just gave the game up completely and tried living off what he's earnt unless he's spent it all 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

It will be interesting to see what he does after Chelsea let him go (im amazed they just havent paid him off to get rid of him) i wouldnt be surprised if he just gave the game up completely and tried living off what he's earnt unless he's spent it all 

If we're optimistic, hopefully something like this. Drops down, finds the right team and rebuilds his career having basically lost 5 years.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/2435801/stephen-bradley-reckons-shamrock-rovers-star-graham-burke-can-go-on-to-play-for-the-republic-of-ireland/

On 7/5/2018 at 7:13 PM, er yir macaroon said:

Both of these lads will take us to a new level.

Read an interesting article about Harley Willard payed for us at U 19 level was with Southampton and Arsenal and played at U21 another youth player highly thought of etc - just signed for a lower league Cambodian team 

Until they are playing regular 1st team football on a regular basis these players are nothing more than potential

However Gilmour does look special potential - Hornby i hope he gets loaned out somewhere maybe championship to get first team experience as i cant see him getting it at Everton 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

Read an interesting article about Harley Willard payed for us at U 19 level was with Southampton and Arsenal and played at U21 another youth player highly thought of etc - just signed for a lower league Cambodian team 

Until they are playing regular 1st team football on a regular basis these players are nothing more than potential

However Gilmour does look special potential - Hornby i hope he gets loaned out somewhere maybe championship to get first team experience as i cant see him getting it at Everton 

At Toulon they both played against players who dwarf the mature pros if the SPFL. Gilmour handled it through superior ability and Hornby had even better physique than the opposition (albeit his fitness caught up with him latterly). I’ve no fears about either not making it.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

At Toulon they both played against players who dwarf the mature pros if the SPFL. Gilmour handled it through superior ability and Hornby had even better physique than the opposition (albeit his fitness caught up with him latterly). I’ve no fears about either not making it.

How many players who have looked good at youth level over the years but never deliveroped further. Sure we all got storys who we thaough looked like players but for whatever reason never made it.

What i'm saying there a big differnce from standing out in the youth teams and adults football. That why I try not get to excited by the latest youth talent untill they start making a impression on there first team. Think it only then you can get a idea how far there going to go.

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

How many players who have looked good at youth level over the years but never deliveroped further. Sure we all got storys who we thaough looked like players but for whatever reason never made it.

What i'm saying there a big differnce from standing out in the youth teams and adults football. That why I try not get to excited by the latest youth talent untill they start making a impression on there first team. Think it only then you can get a idea how far there going to go.

This was u20s, hardly youth.

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

Or through loans at other teams.

For example if Hornby gets a championship loan/loan to say, Aberdeen & then bangs them in and looks the part - he could be ready for a call up. 

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Or through loans at other teams.

For example if Hornby gets a championship loan/loan to say, Aberdeen & then bangs them in and looks the part - he could be ready for a call up. 

I think Stubbs is trying to get him to St Mirren on loan so we’ll get a chance to see him in action.