Europa league qualifiers - Page 19 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa league qualifiers

OK so what do people think are the likelihoods of Scottish clubs going through (including Celtic in CL)

For example:

1. Rangers (minimum: clean sheet at home)

2. Celtic (minimum: clean sheet away)

3. Hibs (minimum: draw away, or win 4-3 etc)

4. Aberdeen (minimum: need to score: win or high score draw) 

35 minutes ago, exile said:

OK so what do people think are the likelihoods of Scottish clubs going through (including Celtic in CL)

For example:

I didn't see any of the Rangers or Hibs games so don't really feel qualified to comment, however I would guess that having won away Rangers should progress and having lost 2 away goals Hibs might tumble out.

As for the other two I would fancy Celtic to win again in Norway, unfortunately although I can see Aberdeen making a fist of it at Burnley I think they'll go out.

1. Rangers W 2-1

2. Celtic W 1-0

3. Hibs L 3-0

4. Aberdeen L 2-1

Yes as you say hard to judge games not seen but from the Celtic goal clips I didn't think Rosenborg were that bad

Anyway what I really meant to post earlier was the full set of likelihoods (for those who can't commit to a score!) ranking all eight sides, which could be:

1. Rangers (most likely)

2. Celtic

3. Burnley

4. Asteras Tripolis

5. Hibs

6. Aberdeen

7. Rosenborg

8. Osijek (least likely)

Having said that I now have doubts about Hibs relative to Aberdeen. At least, as it stands Hibs would go through but Aberdeen have to make something happen. Can Hibs keep a clean sheet?

2 hours ago, exile said:

For example:

Celtic are probably the most likely to go through, followed very closely by Rangers - I think the two goal gap that Celtic have gives the slight edge here.

Hibs are third, given that they have a lead to take to Greece - conceding two away goals in the first leg will likely be why they get knocked out. Aberdeen have the hardest tie, but the least to lose; they have to score, but if they play like they did at Pittodrie then I think they are in with a chance of getting through.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Only the two Glasgow sides will advance and once again it’ll be another pathetic showing from our clubs in Europe. 

You would make a great motivational speaker.  Maybe Neil Lennon or Mckinnes should get you in to the dressing room pre-match.  Ma glass is full again!

A thumping win for Osijek to open their league season against a Hajduk Split side that finished ten points ahead of them last season - puts the Rangers result into context. Won't be a procession for Rangers at Ibrox.

Edited by Clyde1998

20 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

A thumping win for Osijek to open their league season against a Hajduk Split side that finished ten points ahead of them last season - puts the Rangers result into context. Won't be a procession for Rangers at Ibrox.

Think everyone thinks it will be a hard match. First goal is critical. Could go either way if they get it.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, vanderark14 said:

I’ve just re-read your posts on this thread and if you think that’s classed as reasoned arguments, you’ve got bigger issues than I thought.

everyone is labelled as talking shite, and there’s plenty of you telling everyone else they’re talking utter nonsense. Accusing other of ignorance and not educating themselves. That’s not reasoned argument. 

In fact there two or three posts I’d consider to be spitting the dummy out to which is interesting considering what you just said about me.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Been on a wee break up at Tummel Bridge. 

You want a history lesson then fine. Try reading the page http://nilbymouth.org/history/ as it gives a nice quick and easy to read potted history. I'll give you and Scotty a clue though. It doesn't start with the football clubs. 

4 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You want a history lesson then fine. Try reading the page http://nilbymouth.org/history/ as it gives a nice quick and easy to read potted history. I'll give you and Scotty a clue though. It doesn't start with the football clubs. 

Gies a pm mate.  Pm'd Scotty and it is a small world! Us Gers men get it tight on here.  But no react!!!  Scotland and Rangers pal.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:58 PM, exile said:

For example:

I think Celtic will be able to pick them off on the counter and are the better team anyway, so they'll get through. 

Rangers will have a tough game as the Croats are better than they showed in the first leg. It'll very much depend on who scores first. 

Hibs can't keep a clean sheet but I'd bet on them scoring so think it's a 50-50.

Sadly reckon Aberdeen are least likely to get through as Burnley had a pretty good home record last season I think. It'd be nice though if the Dons could sneak it. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I think Celtic will be able to pick them off on the counter and are the better team anyway, so they'll get through. 

Rangers will have a tough game as the Croats are better than they showed in the first leg. It'll very much depend on who scores first. 

Hibs can't keep a clean sheet but I'd bet on them scoring so think it's a 50-50.

Sadly reckon Aberdeen are least likely to get through as Burnley had a pretty good home record last season I think. It'd be nice though if the Dons could sneak it. 

I took a look at Burnley 2017/2018 results

Only kept a clean sheet at home 7 times  in the league out of 19 matches - & only 7 wins - So 12 times were a draw or lose which is what Aberdeen are looking for (although two 0-0's)   - Admittedly better teams than Aberdeen visiting - but Burnley aint no world betters   

7 Home Defeats (same as WBA who got relegated) 

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

I took a look at Burnley 2017/2018 results

Only kept a clean sheet at home 7 times  in the league out of 19 matches - & only 7 wins - So 12 times were a draw or lose which is what Aberdeen are looking for (although two 0-0's)   - Admittedly better teams than Aberdeen visiting - but Burnley aint no world betters   

7 Home Defeats (same as WBA who got relegated) 

I thought they'd done better than that last season. Obviously only heard their better results. 😀 

Still, some of those defeats will have been totally expected and it'll still be tough but at least it's not an impossible task for the Dons. 

8 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I thought they'd done better than that last season. Obviously only heard their better results. 😀 

Still, some of those defeats will have been totally expected and it'll still be tough but at least it's not an impossible task for the Dons. 

The season before their home home was amongst the best in the league but their away was about the worst. Last season their away form was much improved but their home form wasn't as good, although they'd set a very high bar the season before.

Aberdeen can get a result but I don't think they've got enough in the final third to get through. Stevie May is not going to trouble many defences. 

13 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

a whole week goes by and you still want to argue a non existent point 😆I don't really give a shit about the history of sectarianism, I never even entered the debate, all I did was laugh at your comment so I don't know why the fuck you keep pointing shit like this out. to most outwith the old firm bubble, this shit means absolutely nothing at all.  

just you keep telling yourself that in this modern day sectarianism its a wider problem.Sweep sweep sweep

as for your source, that'll be the same organistion that says the word hun is sectarian. Its clearly not

Edited by vanderark14

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

The season before their home home was amongst the best in the league but their away was about the worst. Last season their away form was much improved but their home form wasn't as good, although they'd set a very high bar the season before.

Aberdeen can get a result but I don't think they've got enough in the final third to get through. Stevie May is not going to trouble many defences. 

There you go, I was only a year out. 😀 

From what I've read and heard Aberdeen did well in the first half but were under pressure for most of the second half. 

If they can break well or even keep the ball well enough then they'll have a chance. 

Ive not seen anything of the Dons pre season so no idea if they carry a threat up front or not. The posts on here tend to agree with you though. 

Pretty sure i read that their home form last season was 14th best in the EPL. Won 7, lost 7, drew 5

Stevie May will be a substitute, to be fair. Cosgrove caused them plenty issues, as did McGinn and GMS. We need to try and get someone close enough to Cosgrove to take advantage of his physical dominance against the Burnley CB's, this will be the difficult part. Lewis Ferguson has a great engine and may be that man. Either that or Chris Forrester may be introduced later in the match, if we need a goal. 

Burnley are strong favourites but i'm hopeful. I'd put our chances of progression around 20%. 

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Pretty sure i read that their home form last season was 14th best in the EPL. Won 7, lost 7, drew 5

Stevie May will be a substitute, to be fair. Cosgrove caused them plenty issues, as did McGinn and GMS. We need to try and get someone close enough to Cosgrove to take advantage of his physical dominance against the Burnley CB's, this will be the difficult part. Lewis Ferguson has a great engine and may be that man. Either that or Chris Forrester may be introduced later in the match, if we need a goal. 

Burnley are strong favourites but i'm hopeful. I'd put our chances of progression around 20%. 

I might be blind faith but I have a feeling we will go through with a 2-2 or 3-3 draw. There wasn't much between the two teams last time round and I expect the same again

27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I might be blind faith but I have a feeling we will go through with a 2-2 or 3-3 draw. There wasn't much between the two teams last time round and I expect the same again

What's being a football fan without the odd bit of blind faith? :lol: 

Fingers crossed!!

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

haha true

I wish id taken the ticket I was offered and driven up for the match

Looks as if there will be quite a few spaces in the home end, if that's an option?

If so, get yer backside to Peterborough, there's a spare seat in our car......:ok:

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

2016/17, they had the 9th best home form (w 10, d 3) but the 2nd worst away form (w1, d 3).

2017/18, they had the 14th best home form (w 7, d 5) and 6th best away form (w 7, d 7).

They are beatable but they are a pretty solid side. I think they'll struggle in the league this season as they get used to the extra matches in Europe.