Europa league qualifiers - Page 18 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa league qualifiers

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

It wasn’t really well honed though, they were just limping it up the park, hitting anything that moved and playing for free kicks for the forst 60 minutes. If that’s what big bucks in the epl is, then I’m glad to watch football up here. 

I've watched some pretty awful stuff down south in the few of years with Reading; the last couple of years, this has been our plan B tactic when the plan A of passing the ball across the back line until the opposition got bored didn't work.

It's almost been inversely proportional the quality of football being played and the amount of money the club has - you can tolerate it when it gets results, but eventually sides will work out how to beat them. In the Premier League it's hardly surprising that the smaller clubs play dull football, like Burnley, because there's more chance of getting results (and therefore staying in the money league) by playing like that - they, financially, can't risk playing more entertaining football, as there would be more chance of being beaten.

I managed to watch a couple of non-league cup matches last season - going to a few games in Thatcham Town's run en-route to winning the FA Trophy - and the difference in entertainment is unbelievable when compared to the crap I've seen in the top two levels in England for the past few seasons.

3 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Half-Times

• Aberdeen 1-0 Burnley
  • Hibernian 0-2 Asteras Tripolis
  • NK Osijek 0-1 Rangers

Hibs are being Hibs.

Winning 3-2 with a goal in injury time with Sir David Gray on the scoresheet?

Yup Hibs being Hibs!🇳🇬🇳🇬

4 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Burnley have lost their goalkeeper - they're down to their third choice keeper, Lindegaard, who is a Danish international. 🙄

We signed a ‘keeper from them today on a season long loan. I wonder if he was higher up the ladder than Lindegaard.

6 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Happy with that. Defence looking better - first time seemingly that Osijek haven't scored in a home European tie since 2000. 

Only played 6 seasons out of 18,  & only 14 home times in total including tonight, beat at home 4 of those ties 

3 decent results. 

Hibs must be Hoping that they've mentally done the Greeks with their comeback. Sheep aren't out of it and will take confidence. 

We created little, but deserved it. Just.  Tav is a bombscare and thank God goldson is a player.  Coulibalys tackle for anyone who hasn't seen... search it and enjoy.  

30 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Flanagan is quite good defensively but his distribution has Tavernierish qualities which is a wee bit concerning.

I thought he got done a couple of times when he got too close to the attacker. One in the second half when the guy done him right on bye line was particular bad!

15 hours ago, slasher said:

It was all looking good for a while till Vokes came on. As decent as the results are tonight the likelihood is that both Aberdeen and Hibs will crash out now..... disappointing.

I don't think hibs are likely to go out. They are winning in the tie.

It would be disappointing if Aberdeen went out, but so far they have competed very well vs a team with many times their budget. Showing teams like Celtic that it can still be done!

Just now, Morrisandmoo said:

It would be disappointing if Aberdeen went out, but so far they have competed very well vs a team with many times their budget. Showing teams like Celtic that it can still be done!

Starting line ups cost last night

Aberdeen £70k 

Burnley £51,675,000

It was the Burnley invasion of Aberdeen as they took over the city centre.

I walked all the way along Union Street from the Justice Mill to King Street around 4pm and was amazed at the ammount of claret given their allocation of 2,030 tickets. They took over the Castlegate and surrounding pubs, including the Archibald and Simpson, were full of them.

One I spoke to after the match said they had brought 4,000 north with half of them watching the game on TV.

6 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Sake! The shepherds get a decent Euro result for a change and all of a sudden they're handing oot lessons :lol:

10 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

It was the Burnley invasion of Aberdeen as they took over the city centre.

I walked all the way along Union Street from the Justice Mill to King Street around 4pm and was amazed at the ammount of claret given their allocation of 2,030 tickets. They took over the Castlegate and surrounding pubs, including the Archibald and Simpson, were full of them.

One I spoke to after the match said they had brought 4,000 north with half of them watching the game on TV.

Castlegate was the fanzone, but I think they were dotted around a few more places away from it too. 

Will be the same next week, think we’ve got 2,500 or so tickets, with a load going without. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Fair play Jack Cork;

Jack Cork admits the Pittodrie atmosphere forBurnley 's Europa League encounter withAberdeen trumped anuthing he has experienced in the English Premier League. "You just don't get that kind of atmosphere in the league in England," Cork said. 

And that is why we are in a different league.  When it comes to support no one can touch Scotland.  We should be proud of that.  And Bobby Russell was my favourite pler when I was young btw.!!  But the Dons support was brilliant.  I am looking forward to the Dons Gers game.  There is a minutes silence/applause for Neil Cooper.  That will be special.