Europa league qualifiers - Page 15 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa league qualifiers

52 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

How do your rankings compare with the final league positions?   Or have you frigged it to match prior to the season kicking off?

In general, quite well. The teams that were in the Scottish Premiership last season and their rating:

1. Celtic - 1288.94 (finished 1st)
  2. Aberdeen - 1154.57 (2nd)
  3. Rangers - 1148.41 (3rd)
  4. Hibernian - 1077.91 (4th)
  5. Hearts - 1069.85 (6th)
  6. St Johnstone - 1062.30 (8th)
  7. Motherwell - 1059.17 (7th)
  8. Partick - 1030.12 (11th)
  9. Ross Co - 1018.25 (12th)
  10. Kilmarnock - 1013.34 (5th)
  11. Dundee - 1000.32 (9th)
  12. Hamilton - 988.97 (10th)

Most teams were roughly where you'd expect them to be on these ratings, with only Kilmarnock, Partick and Ross County being three or more places away from their actual finish.

Elsewhere, the average number of positions between where each club ranks on this system and where they actually finished was:

• English Premier League - 2.9 positions
  • English Championship - 4.5
  • English League One - 5.4
  • English League Two - 4.3
  • Scottish Premiership - 1.5
  • Scottish Championship - 1.6
  • Scottish League One - 0.8
  • Scottish League Two - 1.0

There will always be outliers: in the English Championship, Cardiff finished second despite being twelfth on these rankings for example.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

In general, quite well. The teams that were in the Scottish Premiership last season and their rating:

1. Celtic - 1288.94 (finished 1st)
  2. Aberdeen - 1154.57 (2nd)
  3. Rangers - 1148.41 (3rd)
  4. Hibernian - 1077.91 (4th)
  5. Hearts - 1069.85 (6th)
  6. St Johnstone - 1062.30 (8th)
  7. Motherwell - 1059.17 (7th)
  8. Partick - 1030.12 (11th)
  9. Ross Co - 1018.25 (12th)
  10. Kilmarnock - 1013.34 (5th)
  11. Dundee - 1000.32 (9th)
  12. Hamilton - 988.97 (10th)

Most teams were roughly where you'd expect them to be on these ratings, with only Kilmarnock, Partick and Ross County being three or more places away from their actual finish.

Elsewhere, the average number of positions between where each club ranks on this system and where they actually finished was:

• English Premier League - 2.9 positions
  • English Championship - 4.5
  • English League One - 5.4
  • English League Two - 4.3
  • Scottish Premiership - 1.5
  • Scottish Championship - 1.6
  • Scottish League One - 0.8
  • Scottish League Two - 1.0

There will always be outliers: in the English Championship, Cardiff finished second despite being twelfth on these rankings for example.

So you tipping Accies to go down this season?

Outliers: That's always the catch with ELO and such like.   They base likelyhood on past performance.   You'll need to add some calculus to spot improving trends 🤕

1 minute ago, Grim Jim said:

Outliers: That's always the catch with ELO and such like.   They base likelyhood on past performance.   You'll need to add some calculus to spot improving trends 🤕

I've got both promoted clubs behind Hamilton at the moment.

I'll see how quickly this picks up trends. If it's not very good, then I'll have some sort of weighting system to make more recent games more important than older games.

5 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

🤕

I will - unless they sack Canning

He should have went after the dismal end to last season and it was only pure luck that they stayed up

They have not strengthened since last season and the squad is poorer - evidence of which is the league cup performances

On 7/23/2018 at 7:42 PM, vanderark14 said:

Aye thats it, you've got me sussed. Tedious child

I make reasoned argument. You don't, but I'm the child? 

You're one of the biggest babies on these boards. Anytime someone disagrees with you the dummy gets spat. 

Totally pathetic and utterly predictable.

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I will - unless they sack Canning

He should have went after the dismal end to last season and it was only pure luck that they stayed up

They have not strengthened since last season and the squad is poorer - evidence of which is the league cup performances

Even BBC pundits have stopped tipping Accies for the drop now.   They usually seem to go out the cups in the first rounds.   I wonder if they just prioritise the league, and even then put in some awful performances against the top teams as if they save themselves for the six-pointers.

Hope we're not taking this thread off topic :whistling:

21 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You're one of the biggest babies on these boards. Anytime someone disagrees with you the dummy gets spat. 

Aye.  I found it ironic that he resorted to calling you a tedious child which in itself is one of the most childlike name calling things possible to say!!  Ignore it.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Wow that’s an astonishing lack of self awareness.

Can you point me to the posts where this reasoned argument took place? 

I see you taking a shot at me and scotty, telling us to go educate ourselves but no reasoned argument.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I’ve just re-read your posts on this thread and if you think that’s classed as reasoned arguments, you’ve got bigger issues than I thought.

everyone is labelled as talking shite, and there’s plenty of you telling everyone else they’re talking utter nonsense. Accusing other of ignorance and not educating themselves. That’s not reasoned argument. 

In fact there two or three posts I’d consider to be spitting the dummy out to which is interesting considering what you just said about me.

Good luck to Aberdeen tonight really hope they do the business 👍

(was speaking to a lad from Stoke and they really think our league is inferior in every way)

(any decent streams for watching the game ??)

PS - Also same good luck to Hibs & Rangers !!

Edited by glasgow jock

3 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Good luck to Aberdeen tonight really hope they do the business 👍

(was speaking to a lad from Stoke and they really think our league is inferior in every way)

(any decent streams for watching the game ??)

PS - Also same good luck to Hibs & Rangers !!

Red tv are showing the game, including Britain, so you should pick something up easily enough if you know where to look. 

12 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

I dont know where to look but want to see the game. Please help. 

Mon the Dons 

That’s all I’ve got I’m afraid, I assume I’m about as technical as you :lol:

Someone will pop up here with the answer soon enough though. 

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

I dont know where to look but want to see the game. Please help. 

Mon the Dons 

I often use wiziwig and it had a list of games and links. One usually works. 

If anyone knows a more up to date or better site let me know!

21 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Why are the New Saints playing the Lincoln Red Imps today? Is one of them seeded higher than Aberdeen?

Both dropped out of the Champions League so are in a different path to Aberdeen - they can't play Aberdeen until the group stage. National champions that drop out of the CL can only play other sides who have dropped out of the CL; twelve national champions will make the group stage. The seeding for the 'champions path' is different too - Lincoln Red Imps were knocked out in the CL preliminary round, so were unseeded, while TNS were knocked out in CL qualifying round one, so were seeded (presumably to give preference to sides that progressed further in the CL). This difference is probably to compensate a reduction in 'smaller nations' reaching the CL group stage.

TNS does have a higher coefficient than Aberdeen - partly because TNS have been in Europe for all of the five years in the cycle, while Aberdeen have only been in Europe for four years in the cycle (missing out of the oldest year). Just by looking at the results of both TNS and Aberdeen in Europe, I can't understand why TNS have a higher coefficient (even taking into account TNS having an extra year in Europe) - maybe something to do with TNS being in the CL and Aberdeen being in the EL?

Edited by Clyde1998