Rory Gallagher - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

When you get old, you start listening to music retrospectives B)

I 'rediscovered' him at a diner at a friend of my missus' hoose a few years back, and wondered why I'd never heard his Irish Tour album before.

Back in the day his band and Nazareth seemed to be on The Old Grey Whistle Test every other week.   Sometimes as fillers when someone had stood them up I think.

I don't think I've heard that Zepplinesque tune though, cheers!

Noticed the thread title and thought my memory was playing tricks.

Saw him at Ayr Piv in the late 80s. Decent gig but I think he was way past his prime, in hindsight the bottle was probably winning the battle sadly.

He was the first person I'd seen live to die, that's becoming a lengthy list now though.

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Saw him at Ayr Piv in the late 80s. Decent gig but I think he was way past his prime, in hindsight the bottle was probably winning the battle sadly.

He was the first person I'd seen live to die, that's becoming a lengthy list now though.

Jeeez that's a thought, but despite the R'n'R cliche relatively few of mine are gone:   Some of Queen, AC/DC and Tam White.   Probably since I only saw a few in the 70's when young and skint, then I gave the 80's a bodyswerve.   Artists I've seen in the 90s+ must have got more sensible,  once passing the 27yo threshold of deth.

20 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Jeezuz - that's a topic on its own!!

Keith Moon, Carl Radle, John Entwistle, Dick Sims, Alex Harvey, Lowell George, Richie Hayward, Stuart Adamson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Warren Zevon, John Martyn, Muddy Waters, David Bowie, Glenn Frey..........I'm sure that isn't comprehensive.

Edited by Barney Rubble

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Jeezuz - that's a topic on its own!!

Keith Moon, Carl Radle, John Entwistle, Dick Sims, Alex Harvey, Lowell George, Richie Hayward, Stuart Adamson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Warren Zevon, John Martyn, Muddy Waters..........I'm sure that isn't comprehensive.

Oh and how could I ever forget Ronnie Lane..............one of the greatest and most underrated ever.

Anyone got John Lennon or Bobby Fuller??

I can add Jimmy McCulloch to my previous contributions., and as Donny has alluded to, Joe Strummer brilliantly supporting The Who  in 2000.

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Now then … Malcolm Owen, Joe Strummer, Ian Curtis, Ari Up, Lemmy (+ Fast Eddie & Phil), Lee Brilleaux, Mick Green (The Pirates), Bert Weedon ...

I didn't know Ari Up was dead. Nor Joe Strummer for that matter.  

Saw him a few times in the mid-seventies he was better live than on studio albums Live in Europe and Irish tour are brilliant live albums and he still toured in Northern Ireland during the troubles. Met him  in a pub in the Kings Road in 1987 but he looked f*cked.

Edited by Larky Masher

On 6/15/2018 at 11:16 PM, Grim Jim said:

Jeeez that's a thought, but despite the R'n'R cliche relatively few of mine are gone:   Some of Queen, AC/DC and Tam White.   Probably since I only saw a few in the 70's when young and skint, then I gave the 80's a bodyswerve.   Artists I've seen in the 90s+ must have got more sensible,  once passing the 27yo threshold of deth.

A bit off topic but Tam White wrote his own funeral song, but the family only found out about it after the funeral. It's called 'Don't Wear Black'