North America 2026 - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

North America 2026

11 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i had read yesterday ; almost 2000 miles max between russian stadia ; and 3000 miles for 'united' bid ; edmonton / mexico city ?

closest to us here in Calgary will be Edmonton ; there is 2 out east also Toronto & Montreal

never thought morocco had a chance with their bid 

- as a side note is a new Canadian league starting next year ; and new team being formed here / new stadium being built close to my end of city - will be good for local (kids) to have something to aim for , and may well kick start development / interest in national team a la USA thru 90s ; altho standard will likely be non league in comparison to MLS leagues 

Any idea why Edmonton is in rather than Calgary?

14 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Any idea why Edmonton is in rather than Calgary?

not 100% sure ; but aside from a being a bigger stadium than calgary ; edmonton is the "soccer" hq in alberta (and the provincial capital)

womens world cup was played there few years back - imagine the 'astro'turf is newer generation that what they use in calgary at mcmahon stadium - i'd only been there once to see a CFL football game - suspect is quite dated ; stands really only on 2 sides

just checked 56,000 edmonton(commonwealth stadium) ; calgary is 36,000 = 46,000 with temporary stands so bottom line for a WC would be capacity

Scotland played Canada at rugby at Edmonton last week incidentally , bizarrely at commonwealth stadium..... carpet burns ?

On 6/14/2018 at 2:15 PM, Jim Beem said:

😂  Im sure you struggled on. 

No other choice, Mate.

Had to make do with a fixture against West Germany at Mexico 86 instead.

My new friend and room mate (a scout, and later to be known as 'the godfather' of Scottish football) would give me updates on what the inside scoop in the dressing room was.

Travelled by myself, too, and it turned into another adventure.

16 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

That's not quite true.  There will be plenty of teams that didn't qualify outwith the Asian Confederation that are better than Saudi Arabia (Us, Italy, Holland are 3 that spring to mind).

Just to be clear... do you mean 'us' (Scotland) or the U.S? :wink2:

7 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Scotland played Canada at rugby at Edmonton last week incidentally , bizarrely at commonwealth stadium..... carpet burns ?

That our new scrum half?

(Hope that you are well, Wullie.)

17 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

not 100% sure ; but aside from a being a bigger stadium than calgary ; edmonton is the "soccer" hq in alberta (and the provincial capital)

womens world cup was played there few years back - imagine the 'astro'turf is newer generation that what they use in calgary at mcmahon stadium - i'd only been there once to see a CFL football game - suspect is quite dated ; stands really only on 2 sides

just checked 56,000 edmonton(commonwealth stadium) ; calgary is 36,000 = 46,000 with temporary stands so bottom line for a WC would be capacity

Cheers. Forgot about the whole provincial capital thing - doh! Also hadn’t realised their stadium was as big as that so it all makes sense.

18 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

No other choice, Mate.

Had to make do with a fixture against West Germany at Mexico 86 instead.

My new friend and room mate (a scout, and later to be known as 'the godfather' of Scottish football) would give me updates on what the inside scoop in the dressing room was.

Travelled by myself, too, and it turned into another adventure.

Just to be clear... do you mean 'us' (Scotland) or the U.S? :wink2:

That our new scrum half?

(Hope that you are well, Wullie.)

cheers Scotty min

was looking out for you in mexico city

was nt that many punters there though

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 10:17 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i had read yesterday ; almost 2000 miles max between russian stadia ; and 3000 miles for 'united' bid ; edmonton / mexico city ?

closest to us here in Calgary will be Edmonton ; there is 2 out east also Toronto & Montreal

I'm thinking with 16 groups and 16 host cities, each group might be played in the same location.

42 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Considering the prices fans will have to pay for tickets, the logistical nightmare travelling from game to game, visa regulations and another 16 also rans competing I hope it turns into a disaster of a tournament 

Ha ha I am inclined to say bah humbug too.

Why enlarge it? 32 is a good number for a knockout tournament. 4 is a good number for group stages.

How long is the tournament going to be, how many people can afford to go to more than a few games?

Why host it in 3 countries, especially when at least two of them are big enough to host it thmselves? 

Why award it yet again to the USA and Mexico? (two more wrongs don't nake a right). Is it just money?

(Of course I won't complain if Scotland qualify and make it out the group stage.)

8 hours ago, exile said:

How long is the tournament going to be, how many people can afford to go to more than a few games?

1 extra knock out round, so 16 more games than at present, but it's apparently still going to fit in the same 4.5 week timeframe as at present.

As there's only 2 group games, the teams reaching the final will still play 7 times as they do now.

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

Thought Vancouver might have got some games, sad they didn't. 

Both Vancouver and Victoria were great for the Under 20's WC in 2007.

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

Has there ever been a mass shooting at the soccer ball cup?

Thankfully, no.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of travelling tips...

its cheap to fly internally in the USA but expensive if you fly into or out of canada (stupid taxes) best bet is to get a bus across the border (yes there is a mega bus) and then fly. Eg, Megabus from toronto to buffalo, then fly from there. Or Fly to NY and megabus to montreal

Much cheaper to do.

Only issue is US border guards are total A-holes and can give you unnecessary bother just because they think they are " protecting the borders" Only downfall i can see, otherwise should be a good WC, hopefully we make it.

Beer is cheap in the US too

16 hours ago, jamboman said:

Couple of travelling tips...

its cheap to fly internally in the USA but expensive if you fly into or out of canada (stupid taxes) best bet is to get a bus across the border (yes there is a mega bus) and then fly. Eg, Megabus from toronto to buffalo, then fly from there. Or Fly to NY and megabus to montreal

Much cheaper to do.

Only issue is US border guards are total A-holes and can give you unnecessary bother just because they think they are " protecting the borders" Only downfall i can see, otherwise should be a good WC, hopefully we make it.

Beer is cheap in the US too

Yeah i mentioned this earlier about border crossings for cheap internal flights, never had any major issue with the guards though, only once when i had my kilt on was one guy a bit ott, but mostly good experiences.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Yeah i mentioned this earlier about border crossings for cheap internal flights, never had any major issue with the guards though, only once when i had my kilt on was one guy a bit ott, but mostly good experiences.

I had a stupid idiot who kept on trying to say my passport was fake because she had never seen a UK passport before, i was over an hour trying to convince her. Eventually her Boss came over and asked what the issue was, and i was on my way within 5 mins. Idiot

On 6/15/2018 at 12:35 AM, stocky said:

only slight problem the UK wont exist by that time     

Can't see that being an issue as the UK / Britain has never existed as far as FIFA is concerned. Makes more sense than a stand-alone England bid after finishing last for 2018. I'm sure having the options of including some of Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Murrayfield, Millennium as options would boost chances.  

I think joint bids will become the norm going forward as these major sporting events are so incredibly expensive to host. 

3 hours ago, McDange said:

Can't see that being an issue as the UK / Britain has never existed as far as FIFA is concerned. Makes more sense than a stand-alone England bid after finishing last for 2018. I'm sure having the options of including some of Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox, Murrayfield, Millennium as options would boost chances.  

I think joint bids will become the norm going forward as these major sporting events are so incredibly expensive to host. 

A one off Home Nations championship to determine who gets the automatic qualifying spot?

4 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

A one off Home Nations championship to determine who gets the automatic qualifying spot?

Will be interesting to see how they determine automatic qualifying for 2026. They might just let all 3 hosts in considering it's an expanded tournament.

9 hours ago, jamboman said:

I had a stupid idiot who kept on trying to say my passport was fake because she had never seen a UK passport before, i was over an hour trying to convince her. Eventually her Boss came over and asked what the issue was, and i was on my way within 5 mins. Idiot

😂 Jesus that's pretty bad, honestly always been ok when I've dealt with them

1 hour ago, McDange said:

Will be interesting to see how they determine automatic qualifying for 2026. They might just let all 3 hosts in considering it's an expanded tournament.

I thought that had already been decided, all 3 would automatically qualify.