North America 2026 - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

North America 2026

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I’ll stick my hand oot my windae to wave at you.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Megabus run from city to city also. I take them to Cincinnatti sometimes.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Not strictly true. Airfares are weird here. I can fly to the likes of New Orleans and Florida for tuppence but going to say Denver costs a fair whack.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I’ve had one way to Cincy for the likes of ten dollars before.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

The trains are extortionate here!

50 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Aye, public transport is almost non-existant here compared to Europe.

Where do you live? :wink2:

5 hours ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Joint bids could well be the future for the World Cup . Chances of a joint home nations World Cup at some point 

I’ve often wondered why we don’t do a joint one with England. Be the only chance of us appearing in one. Go with Wales too? 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

I’ve often wondered why we don’t do a joint one with England. Be the only chance of us appearing in one. Go with Wales too? 

As mentioned previously the announcement for 2026 gives such a bid legitimacy I think.

Divvied up like the North American finals you could have 10 host cities in England, 3 in Scotland and 3 in Wales.

10 hours ago, euan2020 said:

was looking at Toronto to go see Scotty 

Everyone can crash at mines.

(1 or 2 might have to kip on the floor.)

8 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Would've much preferred Morocco hosting it, but there you go.

The venues are:

• Rose Bowl, Pasdena, near Los Angeles (92,000)
  • Estadio Azteca, Mexico City (87,523)
  • MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey (82,500)
  • FedExField, Landover, near Washington DC (82,000)
  • AT&T Stadium, Arlington, near Dallas (80,000)
  • Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City (76,416)
  • Sports Authority Field at Mile High, Denver (76,125)
  • NRG Stadium, Houston (71,795)
  • M&T Bank Stadium (71,006)
  • Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta (71,000)
  • Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia (69,176)
  • Nissan Stadium, Nashville (69,143)
  • CenturyLink Field, Seattle (69,000)
  • Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, near San Jose (68,500)
  • Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, near Boston (65,878)
  • Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati (65,515)
  • Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, near Miami (64,767)
  • Olympic Stadium, Montreal (61,004)
  • Camping World Stadium, Orlando (60,219)
  • Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton (56,302)
  • Estadio BBVA Bancomer, Monterrey (53,500)
  • Estadio Akron, Guadalajara (46,232)
  • BMO Field, Toronto (30,000 --> 45,500)

Aside the Azteca, the US have all the biggest stadia. Makes you wonder why exactly they didn't bid alone.

We'll host North Korea v The Ivory Coast, etc.

12 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

This could be a perfect chance for me to combine 2 of bucket list items!  See Scotland at a World Cup and drive Route 66!!!

What really irked me out of my four World Cups supporting Scotland was that I only got to see them play Brazil in three of them.

(Sometimes you just have to accept the cards you are dealt.)

16 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

What really irked me out of my four World Cups supporting Scotland was that I only got to see them play Brazil in three of them.

(Sometimes you just have to accept the cards you are dealt.)

😂  Im sure you struggled on. 

36 minutes ago, Mox said:

It's the best choice of what was on offer and a lot of cities easily accessible from Scotland. 48 teams though is madness, you can be sure it will be the worst World Cup ever in terms of quality.

Thought the Euros were shite when it got extended to 24 as well. 

19 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Divvied up like the North American finals you could have 10 host cities in England, 3 in Scotland and 3 in Wales.

There is only one stadium in Wales that could host a group match and there aren’t three cities that could realistically provide another two via an upgrade of some kind.

I’d genuinely love to see the World Cup come here to Cardiff, but it’s not realistic.  2030 should be England alone or England/Scotland joint bid.

My own views are that whilst the North American bid makes sense, I am not looking forward to the format.

48 teams is debatable, I can see the argument that it could dilute the quality but I can also see the argument that expansion ultimately helps the game grow.

Doubling the slots available to CONCACAF from three to six is utter madness and South America definitely doesn’t need a 50% increase either, but at least that’s in line with the jump from 32 to 48. Increasing Africa's quota from 5 to 9 is also a pretty big leap. FIFA politics seem to be at play again.

However my main gripe is the 3 team group format. This in my opinion will ruin the tournament as it is getting ever closer to a straight knockout format from the off. A result such as today’s and you are effectively looking at one team virtually certain to go through and the other almost certainly out. A four team group still means a big winner in game 1 could still lose games 2 & 3 and go out with the losing team winning games 2 & 3 and making it through. An opening defeat in a three team group and your tournament is all but over.

This needs a rethink IMO.

31 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

There is only one stadium in Wales that could host a group match and there aren’t three cities that could realistically provide another two via an upgrade of some kind.

I’d genuinely love to see the World Cup come here to Cardiff, but it’s not realistic.  2030 should be England alone or England/Scotland joint bid.

If Qatar can host an entire World Cup then it should be feasible for 3 suitable stadiums to be made in Wales.  Temporary enlargements to Swansea and possibly Wrexham could give them the required 35000 capacity.

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Thought the Euros were shite when it got extended to 24 as well. 

Yeah, the dilution in quality will undermine one of the greatest sporting spectacles, essentially another 16 teams worse than Saudi Arabia, it's farcical.

On 6/13/2018 at 4:20 AM, Fish Supper said:

That will be some travel nightmare getting between games. 

i had read yesterday ; almost 2000 miles max between russian stadia ; and 3000 miles for 'united' bid ; edmonton / mexico city ?

closest to us here in Calgary will be Edmonton ; there is 2 out east also Toronto & Montreal

never thought morocco had a chance with their bid 

- as a side note is a new Canadian league starting next year ; and new team being formed here / new stadium being built close to my end of city - will be good for local (kids) to have something to aim for , and may well kick start development / interest in national team a la USA thru 90s ; altho standard will likely be non league in comparison to MLS leagues 

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Odds are against us but I guess those are the years we would hope / expect to see the results of project brave. 

Fingers crossed. 

What are folk moaning about the traveling between three countries? Budget airlines, car hire/driving across North America would be amazing too - time permitting between a Seattle match and a Mexico City one, 7 days later.

3 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

.  2030 should be England alone or England/Scotland joint bid.

Aye, mibee 2034 tho    would be better  the 100th Anniversary of the world cup, .   so bring it back to the home of football....  A game or 2 in Cardiff tho....

ttps://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/14/fa-talks-home-nations-uk-wide-bid-host-2030-world-cup

Well looks like it could happen.......

only slight problem the UK wont exist by that time     

Edited by stocky

10 hours ago, Mox said:

Yeah, the dilution in quality will undermine one of the greatest sporting spectacles, essentially another 16 teams worse than Saudi Arabia, it's farcical.

That's not quite true.  There will be plenty of teams that didn't qualify outwith the Asian Confederation that are better than Saudi Arabia (Us, Italy, Holland are 3 that spring to mind).

On 6/13/2018 at 12:54 PM, Toepoke said:

Group stage sounds like it will be keech.  16 groups of 3 with the top 2 going through, guaranteed carve ups in several of the final group games!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

Also going to cause problems with fixtures as we'll have odd numbers for the groups. Given the time differences between the East and West coasts they need to look at playing 4 games a day, but even at that you would be faced with at least 8 days between games during the groups... 

24 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Also going to cause problems with fixtures as we'll have odd numbers for the groups. Given the time differences between the East and West coasts they need to look at playing 4 games a day, but even at that you would be faced with at least 8 days between games during the groups... 

If they play 4 games a day the group stage will be done in 12 days, a bit less than at present. The extra knockout round will pad things out a bit though.