holiday places to avoid - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

holiday places to avoid

4 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

We go for a bit of a halfway house on that...we've been all inclusive twice in the 14years that we've had our oldest kid, and didn't really make much use of it, preferring to go to some nice restaurants in the evening, sometimes away from the 'UK Crowd', and sometimes not, just depending on what we fancy...so generally go self-catering now...

...we like to be in a hotel though, as the kids can make friends, splash about the pool and, (if we want) make use of whatever entertainment or facilities the hotel has available.

We don't drag the kids out of bed, to get the best spot at the pool or anything mental like that, but in general we have very chilled out holidays, allowing the kids to relax when they want to as well, we also like to take them out late at night to sample the local atmosphere.

For the OP, I think he is being incredibly generalistic in slating entire islands, or resorts to be honest...one of which, Mallorca is one of my favourite places to holiday as a family...had he said, Magaluf, I'd have agreed with him thoroughly, but there are parts of Mallorca that are nothing like Magaluf. We holidayed in a wee place called Portals Nous, a couple of years back and could see Magaluf across the bay, but it was absolutely nothing like that scene. 

Just noticed that it wasnt the OP who slated Mallorca in particluar...apologies

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I hated Puerto del Carmen but liked Barbados, maybe I should go on holiday with your wife 🙂

We went to Barbados for our 25th anniversary, a week based there and a week on a traditional sailing ship round the Grenadine islands. I agree many of the Caribbean islands  are a bit meh, but really liked Bequia. The ship was great too. 

The problem with ‘special holidays’ is it normally sets the bar at a level you cannot replicate unless you are loaded. At least you dont have that problem 🙂

What about Jersey? Especially for liquid lunches 😎

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Jersey is more like a home from home Jim, would recommend it to anyone.

44 days and counting 👍

For someone who almost pleaded poverty earlier on the thread, you don’t half get about. 

I shall arrange a liquid lunch or night out whilst your here x

59 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

My dad's favourite holiday location Jersey.   I didn't know it was so easy to pull though :cheers3:

(Only kidding. 1st bit true. I've not been. Still a rebellious teen, me   ...?)

Is that meant to be pullover joke ? 😝

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

you don’t half get about. 

So it’s not just in Glasgow she has that reputation! 

If a holiday suits you then it suits you. I have clients who’ve been going to same resort 4-5 times a year for 24 years and another who books up countries to visit but no hotels, packs a rucksack and just has adventures. She’s 78 years old and I’m sure she’s given her son and daughter prematurely grey hair. I love a camping holiday in Scotland but my friends would rather sacrifice their small children than sleep in a tent. I was in Toronto a few years ago and panic if I think a flight I’m on may enter their airspace and have to emergency land. I thought I’d never dislike a place as much as Toronto until I visited Rome. But I know people who love those places and although it’s made me wonder about their standards I have to accept we all look for different things in a holiday. I used to work in Playa del Carmen and whilst I’d never go there on holiday I have great memories of holiday makers I met who were having a fantastic holiday. 

Polis in Cyprus is a special wee place that I’d recommend. 

14 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

File under wanky phrases 

Oh look, it's the attention seeker. At least you aren't posting about Liverpool fans being murders for a change I suppose.

t's an abbreviation, bit like Hibs is short for Hibernian.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

58 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Oh look, it's the attention seeker. At least you aren't posting about Liverpool fans being murders for a change I suppose.

t's an abbreviation, bit like Hibs is short for Hibernian.

So Heysel was one big myth then?

But thanks for taking the time to reply and giving me the attention I so desperately crave 👍🏻

Lastly, is t’s and abbreviation of it’s? 

15 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

For someone who almost pleaded poverty earlier on the thread, you don’t half get about. 

It is cheaper to get about when you can crash with the family and have a pal organising liquid lunches 😎

15 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

My dad's favourite holiday location Jersey.   I didn't know it was so easy to pull though :cheers3:

(Only kidding. 1st bit true. I've not been. Still a rebellious teen, me   ...?)

Is Jersey Jim your dad ? No wonder you are Grim 😬

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

So it’s not just in Glasgow she has that reputation! 

I’m known as Tammy in Jersey, I like to shake things up a bit over there 💃

On 6/9/2018 at 7:02 AM, 1ANDYP said:

Turkey. Great value. Great hotels

Been twice and it's been fantastic, not the bigger resorts though, avoid the beds as others have said.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:05 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

I’d recommend a few days in Copenhagen

Failing that I’d suggest Dubrovnik. Its a beautiful place, beaches and drinking if your into that but It’s close by for day trips to Montenegro and Bosnia, Albania isn’t a million miles away either

Dubrovnik is easily one of my fav places I've been, got an Airbnb and used the local market for most of our food, cheap and cheerful and stunning wee city/town loads to do nearby/day trips etc too. Sadly never made it to any of the nearby countries though.

On 6/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, madoneone said:

Lochgoilhead ,great wee village stunning scenery ,golf course,village pub nae Ned's great place for a relaxing break

On 6/11/2018 at 6:33 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Midges galore 

Was just about to say this, went with the scouts when I was younger and I've never been anywhere with so many midges in my life, was horrific

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, McDange said:

Seconded. We usually go for a weekend most years. It's like a cleaner version of Scotland with loads of bikes. 

Off to Copenhagen  with the family in three weeks for a fortnight's holiday. Really looking forward to it - we went to Stockholm and Helsinki the two previous years as we like the Nordic countries, especially in summer. By a process of elimination it looks like it'll be Oslo next year...

Edited by neilser