holiday places to avoid - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

holiday places to avoid

On 6/9/2018 at 10:03 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

Mallorca, Ibiza, Gran Canaria, Benidorm, Zante and all these all inclusive resort type places. Full of ned families that can’t see further than lying on a beach all day, drinking 24/7, eating fry ups for breakfast and for tea AN other with chips while watching English football on sky sports

Its a big world out there

That's one hell of generalisation. 

Ibiza/Gran Canaria have some amazing places to stay., eat and drink.

Ibiza is one of mt fave places in tbe world and jve been all over from The Caribbean to Australia. 

On 6/9/2018 at 10:03 AM, DoonTheSlope said:

Mallorca, Ibiza, Gran Canaria, Benidorm, Zante and all these all inclusive resort type places. Full of ned families that can’t see further than lying on a beach all day, drinking 24/7, eating fry ups for breakfast and for tea AN other with chips while watching English football on sky sports

Its a big world out there

That’s what we’re doing with the kids this year :ok:

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Enjoy! :lol:

I’m sure we will, 10 days of being with the family, kids running around having fun in the pool and eating ice cream until they’re sick. 

I cant think of anything better to do. 

think with/without kids makes a huge difference - and i'd read an article recently talking about the stability for  young kids going to same place every year... altho think it was the telegraph

my granny had a beach hut down on Aberdeen beach, and rented a caravan at Stonehaven , where we go for day trips and meet our cousins, was 70s so simpler times and for some reason i always mind it being hot (not the sea tho)

ended up doing a bunch of travelling / holidaying before kids on scene ; but when young kids on scene , flight times/transfers etc become way more important than cultural exchange - so found myself going back to places that i'd been on lads trips as youngster , but pollensa instead of arenal in majorca etc

i went to lindos in late 80s and really liked it , always thought be a place to go back

got married in jamaica ; so try to blot that one out.....

8 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

think with/without kids makes a huge difference 

Completely agree.  

All inclusive resorts arrived whilst my children were young and we went regularly. They loved the kids clubs/discos etc, I admired parents who took their kids on more cultural holidays but living in a county that rains for most of the year it was great just to let them get some sun and fun. Infact we are just back from Portinatx and the transfer we had back to the airport took us through Puerto San Miguel, the first all inclusive we went on 20 years ago. It was quite nostalgic.

11 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I’m sure we will, 10 days of being with the family, kids running around having fun in the pool and eating ice cream until they’re sick. 

I cant think of anything better to do. 

I cannot think of anything nicer than opening the doors of my apartment/ hotel room , feeling the sun and hearing the waves and chatter of childrens voices. 

I know that sounds really corny but there is something really comforting to me in hearing the children, its similar going past a primary school playground, they just sound really happy.  

I am no so keen on them screaming for 3 hours in the seat behind me on the plane right enough 😁

On 6/9/2018 at 1:18 AM, kizzy said:

Just back from Lanzarote (puerto del carmen) and it shit, windy as fuck and full of mingers, crap beer, food and its like the '80s so if you can imagine a more shitty holiday resort then its it here...don't waste your money.. 

Need a recommendation where is good?   Sick of going to crappy places so any advice is appreciated..

I quite liked Puerto del Carmen, me and the Mrs had our honeymoon there in the Sol Lanzarote, and while we did not have high exceptions, we loved it (when you go in August the permanent breeze blowing off the Atlantic was very welcome (one day the wind died right down and we never bothered to leave our air conditioned room as felt like lungs just filled with sand second you stepped outside).

Given Lanzarote is the most quiet of the Canary Islands, sounds like you set the bar far to high.

Do not bother with the Western Caribbean, for the Mrs 30th we did a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale... 7 different islands, and one worse than the other (with Barbados the most disappointing) but really enjoyed Antigua and would love to give it another chance one day.

Worst holiday ever had and as a result wife banned from picking our holidays 😂

Next year we are thinking Cyprus, but toying with further afield and looking at Mexico or Cuba.

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Completely agree.  

All inclusive resorts arrived whilst my children were young and we went regularly. They loved the kids clubs/discos etc, I admired parents who took their kids on more cultural holidays but living in a county that rains for most of the year it was great just to let them get some sun and fun. Infact we are just back from Portinatx and the transfer we had back to the airport took us through Puerto San Miguel, the first all inclusive we went on 20 years ago. It was quite nostalgic.

I cannot think of anything nicer than opening the doors of my apartment/ hotel room , feeling the sun and hearing the waves and chatter of childrens voices. 

I know that sounds really corny but there is something really comforting to me in hearing the children, its similar going past a primary school playground, they just sound really happy.  

I am no so keen on them screaming for 3 hours in the seat behind me on the plane right enough 😁

Taking your kids ( lets just say for the sake of what will probably be an argument;  aged 12 and under ) somewhere ‘cultural’ is basically abuse/selfish parenting. 

They need to be running around pools, water parks etc, in the sun, wired out their tits on e-numbers. 

😀

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

Taking your kids ( lets just say for the sake of what will probably be an argument;  aged 12 and under ) somewhere ‘cultural’ is basically abuse/selfish parenting. 

They need to be running around pools, water parks etc, in the sun, wired out their tits on e-numbers. 

😀

Each to their own and all that..........I don't want my kids in an AI type environment on a holiday. We go for a self catering apartment in Menorca, in a local town with a harbour. They still get to 'go a bit mental' around the pool, but they also get a chance to experience another culture, even our wee trips to the local supermarkets etc. They do a siesta, and then get to run around the playwark with the Spanish kids until about 11pm. Also means we get to go out to local tapas bars and restaurants. Nothing selfish about it, just giving them a great holiday without mixing only with a 'UK' crowd cooped up in a hotel 😎.

So yeah, avoid 'resorts'.

Edited by killiefaetheferry

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

😀

So true, went to Turkey. Daughter was about eight, did Ephesus, Hieropolis, think we'd gone to Miletus to see more ancient sites and she cries out, "Oh no! Not more stones!" Felt slightly bad, wasn't connecting with her inner Indian Jones.

37 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

So true, went to Turkey. Daughter was about eight, did Ephesus, Hieropolis, think we'd gone to Miletus to see more ancient sites and she cries out, "Oh no! Not more stones!" Felt slightly bad, wasn't connecting with her inner Indian Jones.

😀

14 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Each to their own and all that..........I don't want my kids in an AI type environment on a holiday. We go for a self catering apartment in Menorca, in a local town with a harbour. They still get to 'go a bit mental' around the pool, but they also get a chance to experience another culture, even our wee trips to the local supermarkets etc. They do a siesta, and then get to run around the playwark with the Spanish kids until about 11pm. Also means we get to go out to local tapas bars and restaurants. Nothing selfish about it, just giving them a great holiday without mixing only with a 'UK' crowd cooped up in a hotel 😎.

So yeah, avoid 'resorts'.

We go for a bit of a halfway house on that...we've been all inclusive twice in the 14years that we've had our oldest kid, and didn't really make much use of it, preferring to go to some nice restaurants in the evening, sometimes away from the 'UK Crowd', and sometimes not, just depending on what we fancy...so generally go self-catering now...

...we like to be in a hotel though, as the kids can make friends, splash about the pool and, (if we want) make use of whatever entertainment or facilities the hotel has available.

We don't drag the kids out of bed, to get the best spot at the pool or anything mental like that, but in general we have very chilled out holidays, allowing the kids to relax when they want to as well, we also like to take them out late at night to sample the local atmosphere.

For the OP, I think he is being incredibly generalistic in slating entire islands, or resorts to be honest...one of which, Mallorca is one of my favourite places to holiday as a family...had he said, Magaluf, I'd have agreed with him thoroughly, but there are parts of Mallorca that are nothing like Magaluf. We holidayed in a wee place called Portals Nous, a couple of years back and could see Magaluf across the bay, but it was absolutely nothing like that scene. 

15 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

For the OP, I think he is being incredibly generalistic in slating entire islands, or resorts to be honest...one of which, Mallorca is one of my favourite places to holiday as a family...had he said, Magaluf, I'd have agreed with him thoroughly, but there are parts of Mallorca that are nothing like Magaluf. We holidayed in a wee place called Portals Nous, a couple of years back and could see Magaluf across the bay, but it was absolutely nothing like that scene. 

The generalisation of Ibiza get's me the most.

Folk think it's San An and that's it!

Related image

Image result for ibiza

Image result for ibiza beach

Places like Es Cana are great for family holidays. I went numerous times as a kid.

22 hours ago, wanderer said:

I quite liked Puerto del Carmen, me and the Mrs had our honeymoon there in the Sol Lanzarote, and while we did not have high exceptions, we loved it (when you go in August the permanent breeze blowing off the Atlantic was very welcome (one day the wind died right down and we never bothered to leave our air conditioned room as felt like lungs just filled with sand second you stepped outside).

Given Lanzarote is the most quiet of the Canary Islands, sounds like you set the bar far to high.

Do not bother with the Western Caribbean, for the Mrs 30th we did a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale... 7 different islands, and one worse than the other (with Barbados the most disappointing) but really enjoyed Antigua and would love to give it another chance one day.

Worst holiday ever had and as a result wife banned from picking our holidays 😂

Next year we are thinking Cyprus, but toying with further afield and looking at Mexico or Cuba.

I hated Puerto del Carmen but liked Barbados, maybe I should go on holiday with your wife 🙂

We went to Barbados for our 25th anniversary, a week based there and a week on a traditional sailing ship round the Grenadine islands. I agree many of the Caribbean islands  are a bit meh, but really liked Bequia. The ship was great too. 

The problem with ‘special holidays’ is it normally sets the bar at a level you cannot replicate unless you are loaded. At least you dont have that problem 🙂

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The generalisation of Ibiza get's me the most.

Folk think it's San An and that's it!

Related image

Image result for ibiza

Image result for ibiza beach

Places like Es Cana are great for family holidays. I went numerous times as a kid.

When I last went to Ibiza about 4 years ago, we stayed in Es Cana, was a beautiful place. Was nice and relaxed, couple of nice beaches, some lovely walks and got the bus through on the Monday to go to Space as well.

There is also a little town right next to it which we got the boat to that was gorgeous, although the name of it escapes me.

2 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

We holidayed in a wee place called Portals Nous, a couple of years back and could see Magaluf across the bay, but it was absolutely nothing like that scene. 

I’ve been to both and enjoyed both in different ways, depends what you’re after. They're 10 mins apart and like different worlds!

As you say Mallorca has a lot more to offer than Magaluf, but a lot of people like Magaluf. I wouldn’t take my kids there, but if I was in my 20s...

A lot depends on what time of year you go some of these places too. If you go to any resort in July/August it’s going to be rammed with folk from Britain. We’ve tended to holiday in January and/or May and it’s generally reasonably quiet (and cheaper).

Been AI a few times, normally in January holiday, it’s often not so much more expensive that you’d grudge going out for a meal, As I’ve always found that one of the most enjoyable parts of a holiday, but AI is great during the day if you have kids.

40 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I hated Puerto del Carmen but liked Barbados, maybe I should go on holiday with your wife 🙂

We went to Barbados for our 25th anniversary, a week based there and a week on a traditional sailing ship round the Grenadine islands. I agree many of the Caribbean islands  are a bit meh, but really liked Bequia. The ship was great too. 

The problem with ‘special holidays’ is it normally sets the bar at a level you cannot replicate unless you are loaded. At least you dont have that problem 🙂

Just to clarify, when I said you dont have that problem I meant you didnt enjoy the special holiday so dont have a bar set high for future holidays. I didnt mean that you weren't loaded 🙄😀