Arise Sir Kenny - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

49 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

It is a thread about his knighthood to be fair.

I'm not sure McC85 meant folk to take him literally, and seems to have withdrawn the remark.

Myself, I'll understate that I'm extremely disappointed that a great man should accept this.   Kowtowing, maybe even smelling the glove :whistling:

Tbh it was remark that was more in jest, however it has opened my eyes to the level of acceptance that Scots in here have of the British establishment.

25 minutes ago, exile said:

So you'd settle for being a subject of the crown then.

I wouldn't call that being an apologist for the monarchy...  but that's the point, it's not a black and white issue and labelling your compatriots spineless (many of whom you'd be trying to convert to the cause of independence) probably doesn't help.  

Not really. If I asked you whether you would rather drown or die in a fire and you picked drown does that mean you like drowning. You placed two options I don't want and asked me to pick the least worse. Both options are far removed from what I want. Ideally I want an independent republic Scotland. 

I'm quite ambivalent about the royal family and the individuals within.

What annoys me at times is the ar*e licking media as well as the brown nosing members of the public who hold them in such high exultation.

As for knighthoods and other honours, fair doos to those people who do exceptional things (like KK) and get recognition but not all those with the right connections, money and political pals - that part makes me quite sick.

Woke up metal-rapping this morning :wtf:

They've taken our king and made him their vassal,
Kneel down before me, the honour is yours.
He's one of us, but now he's theirs, pal,
No skin off my nose.
I am brain dead, already got a bullet in my head.
They said jump, I said how high,
Just another victim of the in-house drive-by.

(guitar rif...)

Apologies to Rage Against the Machine   ...and all of you.

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

There will be united Ireland long before an independent Scotland. The ppl actually had to fight and die for their cause and therefore have much stronger resolution. The Scots on the other hand cannot even vote their way to freedom. 

Utter bollocks. India got their independence without violence. And they managed that a long time ago. 

Maybe if the Irish had followed that example things would be different there. 

As for Sir King Kenny, he's pretty much done the only dignified thing possible in the circumstances. 

What would you say if the Queen of an independent Scotland had bestowed the honour on him? Would that change anything for you? 

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not really. If I asked you whether you would rather drown or die in a fire and you picked drown does that mean you like drowning. You placed two options I don't want and asked me to pick the least worse. Both options are far removed from what I want. Ideally I want an independent republic Scotland. 

You need help.

Quality thread. Best thread there's been on the TAMB in about 5 years. 

Well done to all involved. More of this and there'll be traffic flooding back :ok:  :)

I think it's standard protocol for those being awarded an 'honour' to indicate privately first whether they would be willing to accept. There have been many instances of people turning them down. Most of the time it's done privately though.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

I think it's standard protocol for those being awarded an 'honour' to indicate privately first whether they would be willing to accept. There have been many instances of people turning them down. Most of the time it's done privately though.

@mccaughey85 would turn up with his face painted blue and white, bare his arse cheeks then tell them to shove it.

2 hours ago, slasher said:

I think you're right. Seem to remember this being added to the process after a public refusal in the past. 

5 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Utter bollocks. India got their independence without violence. And they managed that a long time ago. 

Maybe if the Irish had followed that example things would be different there. 

:unsure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_independence_movement#Revolutionary_movement

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2018 at 6:41 AM, Scotland Ever More said:

We'd still have the same monarch, even if we had voted yes.

Sorry to drag this up but surely the 'we'll keep the monarch' thing was a just a convenient arrangement so as not to lose votes.I would have presumed that at some point we would have tossed them and became a republic.

48 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Sorry to drag this up but surely the 'we'll keep the monarch' thing was a just a convenient arrangement so as not to lose votes.I would have presumed that at some point we would have tossed them and became a republic.

It's no really that big an issue unless you are an extreme republican

Australia, Canada and umpteen other countries have survived independently and legally distinct from the UK without much fuss

Also - as previously stated - the Royal Family do share some geneology with The Stuarts

47 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's no really that big an issue unless you are an extreme republican

Australia, Canada and umpteen other countries have survived independently and legally distinct from the UK without much fuss

Also - as previously stated - the Royal Family do share some geneology with The Stuarts

Didn't really realise I was an extreme republican till you posted that as I don't give a flying fcuk who the stuarts are. Tell me why  I should care? Is it a bit like William of orange and Prince whover it was.

Edited by Eisegerwind
Memory.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:09 PM, Eisegerwind said:

That would've been something for the Scottish people to vote on post independence, I would have thought.

On 7/14/2018 at 9:49 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Didn't really realise I was an extreme republican till you posted that as I don't give a flying fcuk who the stuarts are. Tell me why  I should care? Is it a bit like William of orange and Prince whover it was.

It was a generalisation and not directed at you

The point is that, rightly or wrongly. most people are ambivalent about the Royal Family

If it was put to the vote they would be retained

It's a traditional/history thing and most people cant see that it is the figurehead of the English establishment class system

12 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Embarrased that a thread about Dalglish has been reduced to this.  Maybe why we are such a small nation.

Years of Colonial Englification and brainwashing leading to the cringe & unfathomable loyalty to another nation is the answer to that

8 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Aye.  That was Dalglish right enough.  Grow up son.  Or go to a political site.

You questioned why we were a "small nation" meaning "small minded" and i gave you my opinion Da

Learn how a message board works or go to the Rangers board where you wont get any enlightenment

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

You questioned why we were a "small nation" meaning "small minded" and i gave you my opinion Da

Learn how a message board works or go to the Rangers board where you wont get any enlightenment

It is a question of how you feel about Dalglish.  Not your petty minded views about colonialism.  We could bring that up about any subject.  I don't go on to Rangers boards kid.