Argentina v Israel - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Argentina v Israel

30 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Almost certain that is a made up quote. People believe far too much of what is posted on the internet.

Why do you think that.?

It could be, it might not be. 

However the Game was cancelled for Political Reasons....

so the sentiment stands up to scrutiny 

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Why do you think that.?

It could be, it might not be. 

so the sentiment stands up to scrutiny 

Its a fake.... Messi has not updated his twitter feed in 2 days and  TyC Sports (where the story is suppose to originate) have nothing on any of their sites close to resembling that quote.

Only player to speak to the press has been Higuaín, and what he has said has been taken out of context.... people are jumping on "it was best not to play Israel", when what he really said was "health and safety made common sense in the end, so it was best not to play Israel".

AFA president has even said the game will happen in Israel at a later date.

Shakira canceled a concert in Israel a few weeks back in protest, and it made a few headlines, if Messi had said this you would imagine EVERYONE will talk about it, but there seems to be no confirmed source.

Edited by wanderer

43 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Mainly because I've seen about a dozen people posting a dozen different made up quotes from players varying from Messi to Higuain. Don't you think if it was official there might be more on it other than a little picture somebody has cobbled together?

Higuain quote is legit, just not in the context people are thinking he was meaning as I said above.

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Argentina signed up for the game believing it was going to be in Haifa, but the Israeli Government stepped in and had the game moved to Jerusalem, and this seems to have kicked up, with the Palestine FA chairman telling Palestinians to burn Messi shirts in protest, and from this Messi and a number of players received death threats (do you think FIFA, Barcelona and Adidas would want Messi within a 1000 miles of something like that?) thus the AFA canceled the match for security reasons.

Seems to be a number of conflicting reports, but that seems to be the official one (I am really skeptical on the Messi asked for the game to be off, as why voice it only a couple of days before when match was arranged months ago?) 

Edited by wanderer

OK i admit i didnt know everything stated above, i do however agree with the sentiments.

i and a few others on here i presume, remember the sporting boycott of South Africa, it worked as part of a wider movement, i think this should be happening here...

I wish the International community would put more pressure on Israel to cease their abhorrent actions.

I am not really taking sides Israel has a right to exist and prosper , however so do the Palestinians..

Slightly off topic i know, but has anyone seen this? 

Image result for comparison of ireland land and palestinian land land loss

16 minutes ago, stocky said:

OK i admit i didnt know everything stated above, i do however agree with the sentiments.

i and a few others on here i presume, remember the sporting boycott of South Africa, it worked as part of a wider movement, i think this should be happening here...

I wish the International community would put more pressure on Israel to cease their abhorrent actions.

Agree with what you are saying, I just do not think the Palestinians and Pro-Palestinian people are helping their cause by spreading a fake quote around (there was a similar one using Ronaldo a few weeks back) and not helped by people taking it as legit and questioning anyone who questions it.

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Agree with what you are saying, I just do not think the Palestinians and Pro-Palestinian people are helping their cause by spreading a fake quote around (there was a similar one using Ronaldo a few weeks back) and not helped by people taking it as legit and questioning anyone who questions it.

Is it ok to question the questioner who posed the question.about the question, or is that questionable   ... 😁

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Where are we playing them?

Would be a bit more difficult if they were to try the same with us, as we have to play them.

Haifa, but that venue is locked down with UEFA now, so no real danger of our game being moved.

This got political because after the USA acknowledging Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and moving their embassy there, this was just to stick the knife in deeper by Netanyahu by having Messi and co on display in Jerusalem playing Argentina (had the game been in Haifa the reaction would be nowhere near what it has turned out like)

On Thursday, June 07, 2018 at 1:41 PM, stocky said:

Slightly off topic i know, but has anyone seen this? 

Image result for comparison of ireland land and palestinian land land loss

Jings, when they come to Hampden we'll only have the South Stand debenture seats by full time!

Edited by Toepoke