Scottish player transfers - Page 76 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

For anyone who’s watched the under 17s this season it’s clear Liam Morrison & Leon King are our most promising players after Billy Gilmour & here’s King turning down a contract at Rangers with the usual suspects interested - among them Chelsea.

Undoubtedly would be a good idea to move on like Morrison & Gilmour so hopefully it happens as Rangers don’t give a monkeys about playing youth.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/leon-king-rangers-contract-snub-20945997

They don't appear to just now but they have some of the best Scottish youth players so not playing them in future would be negligent. Oh wait...... 😉

On 11/12/2019 at 1:34 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Rodgers was incapable of changing his style to get results away from home in Europe but is now one of the best managers in the world.

You should do stand up. At least then you'll get paid for folk laughing at you.

What has Rodgers won as a manger BTW? Trophies up here don't count (your rules)

I’d love to see him in the CL next season to see if he can actually do anything in Europe as he was beyond rotten with Celtic.

Guest ElChris04
13 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballinsider247.com/ibrox-exclusive-liverpool-set-sights-on-two-rangers-rising-stars/amp/

This article suggests that Liverpool are after King and Nathan Patterson.

Has anyone seen much of Patterson? Googling indicates that he's expected to make the first team soon. As a Right Back!

I’ve got a few rangers mates who watched development games and he’s been tipped to go right to the very top by them, Intelligence and reading the game are top notch aswell as his ability to track back and defend.

Edited by ElChris04

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballinsider247.com/ibrox-exclusive-liverpool-set-sights-on-two-rangers-rising-stars/amp/

Has anyone seen much of Patterson? Googling indicates that he's expected to make the first team soon. As a Right Back!

Classic Rangers that Patterson is 18 and hasn’t even been on the bench before, yet Liverpool are looking at him. 

3 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

From rumours Patterson seems like he will sign a new deal and part of the deals seems like it will be him, being moved to the first team next season as tav's initial back up and eventually taking over from him. From what I've seen and talking to a few who regularly watch the youths, he is one of our best prospect's. The athletic did a good article on him recently, where he will probably be tav's back up next season and is seen as having all the tools to become an elite level fullback.

With King he probably could be off. He is extremely well thought of and has been in our under 18/20s since he was 14 and is seen in similar potential ability levels to Gilmour. To have played under 20 at 14 is impressive but when you think of the physical demands of CB that is phenomenal at that age. Scotland have 2 absolutely fantastic prospects at CB in our u17 squad. Leon King (15) at Rangers and Liam Morrison (16) at Bayern, both have world class levels of potential and while there are no guarantees, there is cause for optimism.

54 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Classic Rangers that Patterson is 18 and hasn’t even been on the bench before, yet Liverpool are looking at him. 

I mean he has just turned 18 (a month ago), but I do agree with you. We haven't had an academy player in our 18 since the second leg of St. Josephs, for me that is truly dreadful. Yes, most of our young players currently at the club are just 18 or younger, so I'm not expecting them to be on the bench everyweek, but to not have one in 4/5 months is poor, especially when we have so many promising ones. The problem for me and what's stopping it, is we have signed soo many players to be back ups or squad members and then signed better to replace them, without moving on the other guys, due to poor negotiating from our DOF. I mean Barker was given a 3 fucking year deal, Polster 2 and a half years and Stewart 2 years. I mean that is ludicrously poor, 12-18 month deals I could understand but 2-3 years is shockingly bad for players of their level. I guarantee right now we will either have to pay them off in 1/2 year/s or loan them until their deals are done.

At the club, we currently have 5 players to play 2 full back positions (Tav, Barisic, Polster, Flannigan, Haliday), 7 CM's (Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Docherty, King, Barjonas) and 7 players for 2 wide positions (Kent, Jones, Arfield, Stewart, Murphy, Barker, Ojo and that is without including Grezda). This ends with these guys having to get minutes now and then for fitness or in the reserves, instead of pointless players like Polster, Haliday, Doc, King, Barker, Murphy, Stewart getting what little minutes they've had, surely it would smarter to give those minutes to our most promising youngsters. I mean after signing Kent, atmost we only need one of Barker, Murphy, Stewart.

Hopefully with a new DOF in we can move these guys on a bit better in January/July and make space for the likes of Kennedy, Patterson, Kelly, Mebude. I think Hastie, Middleton, Robby McCrorie and maybe Ross McCrorie will be out on loan again next year. I think Hastie, Middleton and Ross McCrorie were loaned out to be first choice, rather than be squad players at rangers (they are a bit older than the others, 20-21), but sadly Hastie has went off the boil, Middleton while doing it for the u21s, has been poor for Hibs and can't even make it into match day squads and McCrorie has had a strange season, he was beloved at the start but a rash challenge saw him not play for quite a bit, he then started doing well at RB but is out for close to 2 months. Hopefully they can turn it around but it will probably be another loan season for them next year. I think McCrorie could end up a fantastic utility man for Scotland and rangers. He can play so many positions to a decent level and could end up a decent RB or CDM, while also being able to cover at CB and CM.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

17 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Hopefully this is true as both of them look like cracking prospects.

King, like Morrison at Bayern Munich, look like they could both be top class centre-backs. 

On 11/26/2019 at 11:28 PM, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

From rumours Patterson seems like he will sign a new deal and part of the deals seems like it will be him, being moved to the first team next season as tav's initial back up and eventually taking over from him. From what I've seen and talking to a few who regularly watch the youths, he is one of our best prospect's. The athletic did a good article on him recently, where he will probably be tav's back up next season and is seen as having all the tools to become an elite level fullback.

With King he probably could be off. He is extremely well thought of and has been in our under 18/20s since he was 14 and is seen in similar potential ability levels to Gilmour. To have played under 20 at 14 is impressive but when you think of the physical demands of CB that is phenomenal at that age. Scotland have 2 absolutely fantastic prospects at CB in our u17 squad. Leon King (15) at Rangers and Liam Morrison (16) at Bayern, both have world class levels of potential and while there are no guarantees, there is cause for optimism.

I read The Athletic article on Patterson, sounds very promising. My first thought was “Get him in your first team and then could be a Scotland option”. Did it say he still had to fill out a little?

My mate has his youngest laddie in SFA Performance School in Edinburgh so he sees and talks a lot of Youth football. He was saying to me the other week that apparently Rangers have 2 lads, maybe about the 14/15 year old group who are meant to be phenomenal and very big things expected. You hear anything about them?

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I read The Athletic article on Patterson, sounds very promising. My first thought was “Get him in your first team and then could be a Scotland option”. Did it say he still had to fill out a little?

My mate has his youngest laddie in SFA Performance School in Edinburgh so he sees and talks a lot of Youth football. He was saying to me the other week that apparently Rangers have 2 lads, maybe about the 14/15 year old group who are meant to be phenomenal and very big things expected. You hear anything about them?

1 could be King he is 15. There are a few at 15/16 who look promising but below that I couldn't tell you much. At u18 level rangers are very, very strong (currently unbeaten in everything) and like the first team have probably too big a squad, and it is stopping a few of the u16s getting a chance. The problem at u16-18 level is, we are bringing through far more talented players at 16, than we did before due to revamping our youth set up years ago and less are getting released at 16 due to being higher quality, them you add in picking up talented 16 year olds like Young-coombes and Charlie Lindsay (lad who played for glentoran at 15) and it is creating a bloat that stops promising 15/16 year olds getting the occasional chance at a stronger level.

I have to say though one of the biggest pluses for Rangers (& every other club in Scotland) at youth level has been the performance schools, you can see the actual difference in levels of technique these boys have compared to most of their peers at the same age. The idiots wanting them closed because they haven't shown any fruit yet infuriate the life out of me, the proper first class are just about to turn 19 and we have a graduate who is in and around the Chelsea squad and has world class levels of potential. I mean what on earth are they expecting, us to turn into Netherlands over night.

**for the lads not at the ps we partnered with a school to give them similar extra football and coaching. I believe Celtic have been doing this for like 10 years (maybe longer).

On Celtic, are Celtic youths in the performance schools or is it just their school they go to? Can't really remember seeing ps next to any Celtic players.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

On 11/29/2019 at 1:08 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Liam Morrison came through the performance schools. 

Morrison did at the Grange academy in Kilmarnock. Can't think of any other celtic players so perhaps as Morrison is from Ardrossan they felt celtic school was too far for him to travel every day? 

5 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

Morrison did at the Grange academy in Kilmarnock. Can't think of any other celtic players so perhaps as Morrison is from Ardrossan they felt celtic school was too far for him to travel every day? 

I think he might still have been in the rangers academy at that point. We had him until he was 12/13 and would probably explain why he is one of the only Celtic PS players.

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

@Squirrelhumper tell us about this kid please?

Don't know much about him, he's been nowhere near first team and I've not seen any reserve games I've seen.

Folk at the club think he's something special though. Shame we couldn't get him to sign a deal, bit of a kick in the stones losing him to Man City at such a young age.

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Don't know much about him, he's been nowhere near first team and I've not seen any reserve games I've seen.

Folk at the club think he's something special though. Shame we couldn't get him to sign a deal, bit of a kick in the stones losing him to Man City at such a young age.

Sort of defeats the purpose of clubs like Killie trying to produce their own players when bigger clubs come along and sign promising players for peanuts when they are 16. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Sort of defeats the purpose of clubs like Killie trying to produce their own players when bigger clubs come along and sign promising players for peanuts when they are 16. 

Yup, a bit sole destroying TBH.

Obvs can't compete with Man City or the likes, so not much the club can do.

At least when Kennedy went to Everton for example we got a dozen or so first team games out of him before he moved!

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yup, a bit sole destroying TBH.

Obvs can't compete with Man City or the likes, so not much the club can do.

At least when Kennedy went to Everton for example we got a dozen or so first team games out of him before he moved!

What was the fee you got for Kennedy?

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If they actually turn out to be decent and get sold on then there’s the significant development fee though.

Bigger picture and all that. 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Think it was about 250k or something.

I blame the small amount 100% on that cunt Michael Johnston.

I guess there were add-ons that didn't transpire due to him not breaking through at Everton.

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

If they actually turn out to be decent and get sold on then there’s the significant development fee though.

Bigger picture and all that. 

True but as squirrel said, some players you’re not even getting to see play for the club. I get it from a players perspective as well, access to better coaching and facilities plus more money as well. 

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

From a Scotland POV, it's great to see so much interest in the young players coming out of Scotland.  It reminds me of when Belgium started exporting players across Europe before they started to dramatically improve.

From a Scottish clubs POV, it is demoralising.  Players are moving before they even get near the first team and it's happening across the country.  Clubs need to look at ways to keep hold of their top talent a bit longer but I fear it is going to be more and more difficult as clubs are noticing the talent pool forming in Scotland.  

I guess we just need to hope that it results in more and more players emerging in England at the same sort of standard as Billy Gilmour.  

Let's be honest though if the boy is ever going to make it to the highest reaches of the game it will be through the best coaching he can possibly find and playing against and beside some of the best players he possibly can through his age groups. Unfortunately for any of our top young players to reach the very top of the game now they have to leave Scotland as in Global terms we are quite sub standard. He will learn far more at Man City youths than he will playing against youth teams in Scotland. It is a positive for me that all these massive clubs seem to be pin pointing Scotland as a breeding ground right now for top talent. How much is that down to the performance schools I wonder