Scottish player transfers - Page 67 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

So from the core squad of regular players we now have:

Robertson- week in week out starter at the european champions.

Tierney- Once fit will be the regular LB at Arsenal.

McTominey- Man. United are somehow weaker in central midfielder than last season so fair to say he'll be starting loads of games this season for them.

Fraser- Still at Bournemouth but obviously a key player. Will get a lucrative free transfer next summer.

McBurnie- 20m so will be starting week in week out for Sheffield United.

McGinn- John John McGinn. Signed a new 5 year deal today and one of the key men for the Villa.

Considering the last decade that's quite good I think.

You then have guys like McLean at Norwich and Armstrong at Southampton who will be in and out and could become regulars if they hit form.

Now trick for Steve Clarke is to improve the mentality around the international camps, make it seem like more of a club step up (this is what England and Wales have done in last few years ) so players stop calling off injuries as they don't want to miss meeting up with their mates and trying to make some history.

Do that and maybe the national team might actually make a tournament again.

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Who’s better than him? 

Gordon - his own understudy 

Yes. IMO (and Celtic fans can correct me here) Bain was favoured by Rodgers because he suited his style of play more. He's better with the ball at his feet and passing the ball long to fullbacks/midfield.

Scotland don't play that way, and i'd rather have the better shot-stopper in goals (i.e. Gordon).

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Marshall - Championship mid table keeper 

Aye. Same reasons as above.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Who’s better than him? 

Gordon - his own understudy 

Marshall - Championship mid table keeper 

McLaughlin - Promoted to Championship

Slim pickings 

I'd have said Kelly but he now needs to get first choice at QPR. I'd say Marshall & McLaughlin are both better than Bain tbh. Also Zander Clark deserves a look in if he plays like last season.

Edited by csinclair

7 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Yes. IMO (and Celtic fans can correct me here) Bain was favoured by Rodgers because he suited his style of play more. He's better with the ball at his feet and passing the ball long to fullbacks/midfield.

That's the reason Bain was given the nod, aye. I'm still happy with him through, even though we don't play it out from the back as much. Not a big Gordon fan these days.

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

So from the core squad of regular players we now have:

Robertson- week in week out starter at the european champions.

Tierney- Once fit will be the regular LB at Arsenal.

McTominey- Man. United are somehow weaker in central midfielder than last season so fair to say he'll be starting loads of games this season for them.

Fraser- Still at Bournemouth but obviously a key player. Will get a lucrative free transfer next summer.

McBurnie- 20m so will be starting week in week out for Sheffield United.

McGinn- John John McGinn. Signed a new 5 year deal today and one of the key men for the Villa.

Considering the last decade that's quite good I think.

You then have guys like McLean at Norwich and Armstrong at Southampton who will be in and out and could become regulars if they hit form.

Now trick for Steve Clarke is to improve the mentality around the international camps, make it seem like more of a club step up (this is what England and Wales have done in last few years ) so players stop calling off injuries as they don't want to miss meeting up with their mates and trying to make some history.

Do that and maybe the national team might actually make a tournament again.

None of the players Norwich have signed seem to play the same role as McLean so hopefully he’ll still be a regular this season.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

None of the players Norwich have signed seem to play the same role as McLean so hopefully he’ll still be a regular this season.

He's the mayor of Norwich so he should be okay 

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Scott Marshall is the last Scot I can remember at Arsenal.

Dickov as well.  I don't think Wenger was too keen on Scottish players, I can't even remember them being linked with any.  Might have been some chat about Gordon when he left Hearts. 

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Dickov as well.  I don't think Wenger was too keen on Scottish players, I can't even remember them being linked with any.  Might have been some chat about Gordon when he left Hearts. 

Naismith was linked with them IIRC. 

28 minutes ago, aaid said:

Recall he gave a interview around 2006ish with the hype around the Scotland v France match saying he really wanted Barry Ferguson around 1999-2000'ish, but Rangers wanted stupid money for him, that really put him off Scottish football (think around same time he cut Arsenal's Scottish scouting network down to one guy on a p/t basis... as he could get a player of similar quality for A LOT cheaper in the French and Italian leagues).... think he also had Aidan McGeady checked out at one point, and he had Naismith on trial at Arsenal during his Killie days.

Edited by wanderer

16 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Recall he gave a interview around 2006ish with the hype around the Scotland v France match saying he really wanted Barry Ferguson around 1999-2000'ish, but Rangers wanted stupid money for him, that really put him off Scottish football (think around same time he cut Arsenal's Scottish scouting network down to one guy on a p/t basis... as he could get a player of similar quality for A LOT cheaper in the French and Italian leagues).... think he also had Aidan McGeady checked out at one point, and he had Naismith on trial at Arsenal during his Killie days.

I remember that interview and about him cutting the scouting network and had forgotten about Naismith being on trial there - which I obviously knew about at the time.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Naismith was linked with them IIRC. 

Mark Burchill too, I think, albeit probably just by the Daily Record.

Potentially a great move for Tierney, although I reckon it might take a season before he beds in. Great to see another Scot at a blue chip English club anyway.

5 hours ago, RightPeg said:

Never mind the language, he's barely talking at all. Boyd did a better job on that mattress advert.

:lol:

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Dundee Utd fans...what is Scott Banks like? Lots of rich clubs seem to be interested in him. 

That's actually what I was going to ask.

Man City have been looking at him, too, apparently.

Dundee United are playing Partick tonight on BBC Scotland, so there might be a chance to watch him.

46 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Potentially a great move for Tierney, although I reckon it might take a season before he beds in. Great to see another Scot at a blue chip English club anyway.

Hopefully Arsenal will look after him better than Celtic have.  It's criminal how much football we made him play before last season and how we held off his op at the end of last season.

Edited by PASTA Mick

33 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

That's a weird one. Wasn't he captain at Blackburn or did I make that up? 

Anyway, will be interesting to see if they start him and Bates together! 

Mulgrew was the captain at Blackburn aye.

He gave an interview several months ago where he revealed that Tony Mowbray was pressuring him to quit international football.