Scottish player transfers - Page 46 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

David Turnbull to sign a 4 year deal with Celtic in what has been the strangest transfer saga in a while.

The lad held Celtic to ransom. He'll have the hit the ground running if he wants to win the favour of the Fans.

Personally I'm disappointed by his lack of ambition.  I don't think Celtic (or Rangers) fans realize that winning trophies in Scotland is akin to going to a medal store and buying a medal. It's meaningless.

35 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

David Turnbull to sign a 4 year deal with Celtic in what has been the strangest transfer saga in a while.

The lad held Celtic to ransom. He'll have the hit the ground running if he wants to win the favour of the Fans.

Personally I'm disappointed by his lack of ambition.  I don't think Celtic (or Rangers) fans realize that winning trophies in Scotland is akin to going to a medal store and buying a medal. It's meaningless.

I'm pretty disappointed with this. Norwich seemed like a good move, he'd have played under a manager who improves players as well as putting himself in the shop window for a bigger club.

9 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

He's only 19. He can pick up a few medals at Celtic over the next couple of years and then show how ambitious he is by moving to any relegation candidate he wants. Plenty of time for that yet.

3 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

He's only 19. He can pick up a few medals at Celtic over the next couple of years and then show how ambitious he is by moving to any relegation candidate he wants. Plenty of time for that yet.

Bad move for Scotland. One of our regular squad members is going to lack regular football. Celtic have Ryan Christie, Callum McGregor, James Forrest and now David Turnbull. Given that Scott Brown is a given in the side it means three of our internationals fighting over three starting spots. Not good for Scotland.

14 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Must have missed that?

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Bad move for Scotland. One of our regular squad members is going to lack regular football. Celtic have Ryan Christie, Callum McGregor, James Forrest and now David Turnbull. Given that Scott Brown is a given in the side it means three of our internationals fighting over three starting spots. Not good for Scotland.

McGregor can play anywhere in the 3 behind the striker and James Forrest is a right winger. There is 3 central midfield slots at Celtic. Christie, McGregor, Turnbull and Brown will be fighting it out with Bitton who doesn't often play and Ntcham who looks like he's heading out the door. Plenty of space for plenty of games for the lad. Good move I reckon, only 19, only had one full season, break into Celtic team play well then get a good move down south. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Stop getting your pants in a twist. Whatever your thoughts on the matter, he'll not be battling it out with James Forrest for a start. Surely you have to be playing for Scotland to be considered an international anyway?

4 hours ago, bazmidd said:

McGregor can play anywhere in the 3 behind the striker and James Forrest is a right winger. There is 3 central midfield slots at Celtic. Christie, McGregor, Turnbull and Brown will be fighting it out with Bitton who doesn't often play and Ntcham who looks like he's heading out the door. Plenty of space for plenty of games for the lad. Good move I reckon, only 19, only had one full season, break into Celtic team play well then get a good move down south. 

Also Celtic play alot of games in a season and they will get injuries and will need to rest players. I think he will get plenty game time especially if he plays really well.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Also Celtic play alot of games in a season and they will get injuries and will need to rest players. I think he will get plenty game time especially if he plays really well.

Celtic in theory are a bigger and better team than Norwich so it will be harder to break through. If or when he does he will get to play the likes of Livingston on plasticine and the mighty Ross County amongst others instead of well ....................... Total disaster of a move 

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Celtic in theory are a bigger and better team than Norwich so it will be harder to break through. If or when he does he will get to play the likes of Livingston on plasticine and the mighty Ross County amongst others instead of well ....................... Total disaster of a move 

They are a better team but they play alot of games in a season and they can afford to rest players when playing some of the spl dross. Scott brown will probably get rested more now as well as he is getting old. He will get plenty of game time imo, especially if ntcham goes. Let's also not get ahead of ourselves, Turnbull had a good half season at Motherwell and the epl is big step up in class. A couple of seasons developing at Celtic would be a good plan before moving south if he wants.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

They are a better team but they play alot of games in a season and they can afford to rest players when playing some of the spl dross. Scott brown will probably get rested more now as well as he is getting old. He will get plenty of game time imo, especially if ntcham goes. Let's also not get ahead of ourselves, Turnbull had a good half season at Motherwell and the epl is big step up in class. A couple of seasons developing at Celtic would be a good plan before moving south if he wants.

Our two best players at the moment were about the same age when they left the SPL, our next best player never played in Scotland.

Scottish footballers are held back by Scottish football

5 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Stop getting your pants in a twist. Whatever your thoughts on the matter, he'll not be battling it out with James Forrest for a start. Surely you have to be playing for Scotland to be considered an international anyway?

Whose getting their pants in a twist? Fact of the matter is Celtic have a host of Scottish midfielders who certainly won't be starting every game because of that competition. As a Scotland supporter I want to see all of our budding internationals getting maximum game time to develop their skills. If you are claiming that this move won't stop McGregor/Christie/Turnbull/Morgan getting full matches under their belt regularly then I am stunned.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Our two best players at the moment were about the same age when they left the SPL, our next best player never played in Scotland.

Scottish footballers are held back by Scottish football

That's a bit harsh, as you said Celtic are a better team than Norwich and he is only had half a season playing well in the spl. He  might not be some Messiah we hope, it would be good to stay at home for another couple of years then move down south. Griffith's McGregor Tierney and Forrest are good players and he could be one of them at Celtic and he is only 19. It's a chance for him to develop and move south when it suits him and Celtic.

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

That's a bit harsh, as you said Celtic are a better team than Norwich and he is only had half a season playing well in the spl. He  might not be some Messiah we hope, it would be good to stay at home for another couple of years then move down south. Griffith's McGregor Tierney and Forrest are good players and he could be one of them at Celtic and he is only 19. It's a chance for him to develop and move south when it suits him and Celtic.

Do you think any of the players you have mentioned have maximised their ability? we can't really say can we.

I don't really see the difference in playing for Celtic or Motherwell apart from with the latter you get to play against Celtic

It was a move to the EPL not the championship and a massive chance for his career to get fast tracked. I know players have used the SPL and Celtic as a stepping stone to the EPL and it has turned out great for them but they were among players who could qualify for the champions league.

Your probably right he might not turn out to be the world beater we hope, and he has really only played half a season, but I really think any player with any ambition should move to any of the top European leagues at the first chance. He has knocked this chance back.

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Celtic reject Arsenal offer of £15million for KT, and so they should! Ridiculous opening bid. 

Celtic want £25m. They're loaded, so I don't think they'd accept a penny less than £25m.

There is no chance a club will pay £25 for a Scottish player based in Scotland. Hell, clubs are balking at offering £30m for an established EPL player (Ryan Fraser). Like it or not, there's a stigma about Scottish players, especially ones plying their trade in Scotland.