Jump to content
SkyBlueScot

Scottish player transfers

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

O.K we'll check 10 games into next season to see how he is doing. 

Just looks like another player you are discarding because he might or might not be much better than Barry Bannan 

What what? Which players am i discarding?
And what's Bannan got to do with it? He wouldn't be in any squad I would pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andyD said:

For me that's always been the question mark over Tierney.

He's got talent, no question. But he's very comfortable at Celtic. It's his club, he wins leagues. Occasionally gets to play a big team in Europe. I'm sure it feels like success.

But in the grand scene of things, it's not. The Scottish title is not something any significant footballer aspires to achieve. So the question is, whether Tierney has the desire to push out of that comfort zone and make the step up to actually compete with the best.

 

On a side note, I saw Kenny McLean acting like a big man who'd 'made it' because Norwich got promoted. What an embarrassment that is. Well done for getting out of the 2nd tier. But it's the 2nd tier.. and just being in the top tier isn't impressive. And if a player has that attitude, then I doubt they'll actually achieve anything and will likely end up like Huddersfield.

Good post.

I think it all depends on how parochial Tierney is: does he want to carry on being a big fish in a small pond or does he want to test himself, and potentially win things in Europe instead of playing for a team of also-rans (before going back to his day job of running rings around opponents earning £500 a week).

Tony Watt thought scoring a goal against Barcelona was the be all and end all and has rested on his laurels ever since, when he should have enjoyed the moment but then said to himself 'maybe I can do this again' and pushed himself towards fulfilling his potential.

8 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Robertson had just turned 23 when he signed for Liverpool, not a helluva lot older than Tierney currently is at 22...Robertson had played 115 matches for Hull City by then, with 57 of them being in the English Premier League. He was playing for a shite team, who in most of those 57 matches, would have been under the cosh from start to finish of each match, with the boy coming up against some of the best, quickest, strongest wingers on the planet.

Roberstons performances clearly stood out, because even when they were relegated, one of the biggest Clubs in World Fitba took a punt on him.

The argument that Tierney is a better player than Roberston was at a similar age, based on marking Chris Cadden and the likes, just does not wash. Roberston is by far and away the better player, and until Tierney decides that hes had enough of his maws breest-milk, there can be no argument against that.

 

To be fair I didn't say he was a better player, just that he impressed me more.  By that I mean his game seems more rounded, i.e. he can defend well and attack well.  Robertson was always impressive going forward but a bit suspect defensively - although, as you correctly say, Robertson was playing mainly against top class opposition whereas Tierney was playing in the SPFL.

Robertson has improved massively since he joined Liverpool, to the point where he is now one of the best in the business in his position, although we should remember it took him quite some time to become a regular in the Liverpool team; he wasn't automatically a first pick.

The only way we'll ever gauge how good both players are is if Tierney has the nerve to test himself in a more demanding league.  If he gets the chance to do that, I hope he takes it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Robertson has improved massively since he joined Liverpool, to the point where he is now one of the best in the business in his position, although we should remember it took him quite some time to become a regular in the Liverpool team; he wasn't automatically a first pick.

Jürgen Klopp did an interview last year about Andy Robertson last year that was interesting.

He said he was impressed with Robertson's potential when he saw him play for Hull but thought he still had a lot of work to do on his fitness and his ball skills. Robertson's first few games for Liverpool confirmed this and over a few months they set about teaching him the finer points of the game and also greatly improved his fitness.

Klopp said Robertson responded well to this and didn't take any criticism personally (as a lot of young players tend to do) and worked hard with his coaches to become the player he is today - the best left back in Europe. 

And I posted on here when Robertson wasn't getting a game that he must have been a classic example of "a chairman's signing" :lol:

Would Kieran Tierney respond as well as Robertson did if he is put in a similar situation ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m guessing you probably thought the same thing about Andy Robertson playing for Liverpool when he was at Dundee United or even Hull?

I agree there’s no way Tierney would get into the Barcelona side at the moment but I believe he’s good enough to play at that level with a bit more experience. 

No because Robertson has always been and is much better than Tierney 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

More successful does not necessarily mean better. 

If Tierney goes to England (or another top league) and fails then you can say Robertson is a better player and it will actually be based on something other that your contempt for the Scottish Premiership. 

Most successful is generally a pretty good indicator, although I accept its not flawless. You're argument for Tierney isnae great to be honest...its akin to me saying that Eden Hazard isn't any better than Michael O'Halloran, because they don't play at the same level and therefore it can't be proven...which is utter tosh.

 

As for contempt for the Scottish Premiership...I pay in week in, week out  to watch a team chock full of jobbers on £500 a week, its not contemptful to say so, its just saying what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, scotlad said:

 

The only way we'll ever gauge how good both players are is if Tierney has the nerve to test himself in a more demanding league.  If he gets the chance to do that, I hope he takes it.

Exactly...we will never know if he is even worth talking about in the same breath as Roberston until he spreads his wings...as you say, if and when he does that, I hope he is a roaring success.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the last few pages tell me is that we all know Tierney has the potential to reach the levels Robertson has .Tierney still lacks the technical ability and big game tactical experience that Robertson has at the moment. 

The reason for that is that Robertson hard to work extremely hard to get where he is, was humble enough to take progressive steps out of his comfort zone and is prepared to accept he can always learn. He is now doing that with one of the best man to man coaches there is.

He is never going to improve to that level at Celtic. What exactly is he going to learn from Lennon or from playing a couple of Champions League qualifiers each season. He may have played 40 odd games in Europe, but he is never going to improve playing in a team that at best can aim to grind out some draws at home to the Barca etc. and habitually falling apart away.

Robertson has played 12 CL games. Almost a third of Tierney's. He could play another 60 for Celtic and not progress one iota.

 

What this summer will tell us, If Tierney is not pushing to move. Is that he does not have the required mental strength or the strength of personality to take the next step to better himself.

Even if that is a smaller, progressive step than he wishes to an Everton or Leicester that will get him to Barca or Dortmund. Personally I think he will stay. I think he is too cosseted in his wee Celtic bubble having been brought it in it. Big fish syndrome. Football equivalent of the Junior teams that choose not to join the pyramid.

As a Scotland fan I hope he leaves and takes that chance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

What this summer will tell us, If Tierney is not pushing to move. Is that he does not have the required mental strength or the strength of personality to take the next step to better himself.

 

 

 

Or as a massive Celtic fan he may want to stay and try and win 10 titles in a row over the next 2 seasons and then decide to play elsewhere. Or he may love Celtic so much he wants to stay and play his whole career there. 

Suggesting a player lacks mental strength or personality just because he doesn't do what you think he should do is just made up pish. Your vision is anything but Golden.

You are probably one of those who continually slates the quality of Scottish football but at the same time is desperate for the best players in the league to fvck off ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

What this summer will tell us, If Tierney is not pushing to move. Is that he does not have the required mental strength or the strength of personality to take the next step to better himself.

Agreed. File him alongside Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi as mentally weak and wasted potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keiran Tierney just turned 22 and his living out his boyhood dream.

I expect that by the time he's 25 (Andy Robertson's current age) his career priorities will be different.

And that's no different to the progression many of us posting on here made at a similar age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 months or so ago probably 90% of people would have had Tireney ahead of Robertson, but in that time Tireney seems to have stagnated (granted this could be down to playing A LOT of games in a short period of time or because he has been putting off the operation that he has needed), but do not think many people will deny Robertson going to Liverpool and playing in a team like that and the coaching of Klopp has taken his game to levels not many expected (we all knew he was a great player by Scotland standards, but do not think many of us expected the media to come out with stuff like "best left-back in Europe at the moment").

Commitment is a rare thing these days, but Tireney is certainly fast approaching the cross roads in his Celtic career, as I think he is desperate to stay for 10 in a row, but I also think he wants the "right" move that it will come with the Celtic fans blessing.... I doubt many would approve of him going to Leicester, which to be honest I think would be the easy option for him, as Rodgers would effectively build his defense around him.

Other factor is he might not have a option, as Celtic have made no secret that they have enjoyed signing players for reasonable amount of money, to sell on for mega buck. Certainly none of their recent signings will fall into this category (they might break even on Édouard if they were to sell him this summer), so looks like they might have to look at their home grown players, and really that would be McGregor, Forrest and Tireney, and from those three, the one they would get the most money for is certainly Tireney.

I would be shocked if they sell him this summer, but I suspect next season will depend on what they do with him next summer (get 9-in-a-row and he stays for that one last season, but if Rangers win the league next season I think Celtic will look to cash in next summer).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Keiran Tierney just turned 22 and his living out his boyhood dream.

I expect that by the time he's 25 (Andy Robertson's current age) his career priorities will be different.

And that's no different to the progression many of us posting on here made at a similar age.

Paul McStay was one that I always thought should have had the get-up-and-go, to try himself at a different level and see how good he actually was...he was playing out his boyhood dream though.

 

There are umpteen examples of boyhood Celtic fans who have grasped the nettle and tried to make the most of their abilities and then there have been those such as McStay who stagnated at Parkhead. I think we all agree that KT has the potential, I just hope he realises it and utilises the options open to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wanderer said:

18 months or so ago probably 90% of people would have had Tireney ahead of Robertson, but in that time Tireney seems to have stagnated (granted this could be down to playing A LOT of games in a short period of time or because he has been putting off the operation that he has needed), but do not think many people will deny Robertson going to Liverpool and playing in a team like that and the coaching of Klopp has taken his game to levels not many expected (we all knew he was a great player by Scotland standards, but do not think many of us expected the media to come out with stuff like "best left-back in Europe at the moment").

Commitment is a rare thing these days, but Tireney is certainly fast approaching the cross roads in his Celtic career, as I think he is desperate to stay for 10 in a row, but I also think he wants the "right" move that it will come with the Celtic fans blessing.... I doubt many would approve of him going to Leicester, which to be honest I think would be the easy option for him, as Rodgers would effectively build his defense around him.

Other factor is he might not have a option, as Celtic have made no secret that they have enjoyed signing players for reasonable amount of money, to sell on for mega buck. Certainly none of their recent signings will fall into this category (they might break even on Édouard if they were to sell him this summer), so looks like they might have to look at their home grown players, and really that would be McGregor, Forrest and Tireney, and from those three, the one they would get the most money for is certainly Tireney.

I would be shocked if they sell him this summer, but I suspect next season will depend on what they do with him next summer (get 9-in-a-row and he stays for that one last season, but if Rangers win the league next season I think Celtic will look to cash in next summer).

I won’t be shocked if Celtic find themselves somewhat strapped for cash in the coming year given some front-page newspaper headlines.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

This whole 10IAR thing is holding the laddie back.

4 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

You are probably one of those who continually slates the quality of Scottish football but at the same time is desperate for the best players in the league to fvck off ASAP.

No I want Scottish Players to improve to help the national team.

I'm not arguing the two things are related. But when we had successful teams in the past (defined by qualifying for tournaments) we had players playing at the highest level possible.

England and the odd one in Italy and Spain. To improve you have to challenge playing with and against the best.

 

If you want to argue that the SPFL is the highest level possible for a football player, then there is not point in having this discussion. That view point is pretty parochial. As Oniels...says

Outside the east end of Glasgow no-one cares about 10IAR, it means nothing to 99.9% of football fans the world over.

 

whats the harder challenge for Tierney ?  Playing and winning a CL or winning 10IAR?

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Agreed. File him alongside Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi as mentally weak and wasted potential.

They play in a better standard of league, Tierney plays against English league 1/2 equivalent week in week out, if he's lucky he'll play English championship level when he plays against rangers and Aberdeen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

 

Outside the east end of Glasgow no-one cares about 10IAR, it means nothing to 99.9% of football fans the world over.

 

whats the harder challenge for Tierney ?  Playing and winning a CL or winning 10IAR?

 

 

 

I don't blame him, if I as a Celtic fan I'd want to be part of the history too. it'll never happen again.

It's not a question about what's hardest, surely you can't blame a player for having career satisfaction, memories, celebrating making history with his family and mates? I can easily understand why he'd want to stay for 10IAR.

I doubt he cares what other football fans think - I wouldn't.

It might mean nothing to 99.9% of football fans but it'll mean everything to him I'm sure. He's living the dream and for some, it's not all about chasing money as soon as you can. Fair play to him if that's his choice, it's his life after all.

I'd like to think he'd leave after 10UAR (or if Celtic fuck it before then) to a better league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't blame him, if I as a Celtic fan I'd want to be part of the history too. it'll never happen again.

It's not a question about what's hardest, surely you can't blame a player for having career satisfaction, memories, celebrating making history with his family and mates? I can easily understand why he'd want to stay for 10IAR.

I doubt he cares what other football fans think - I wouldn't.

It might mean nothing to 99.9% of football fans but it'll mean everything to him I'm sure. He's living the dream and for some, it's not all about chasing money as soon as you can. Fair play to him if that's his choice, it's his life after all.

I'd like to think he'd leave after 10UAR (or if Celtic fuck it before then) to a better league.

Away with your actually seeing it from a Celtic diehard, playing for the club he loves, sort of nonsense FFS. Why can't you just agree with the he should fvck off and fvck off right now otherwise his career will be dead by the start of August posters?

Its blatantly obvious he should be playing in the famous blue of Leicester (or Everton) next season and fighting for a glorious 7th place finish in the PL instead of something insignificant like being a large part of potentially one of Celtic's biggest achievements in their history. Madness. On his part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Tbf, Totti and De Rossi were playing at a higher standard than the SPL, so not as much need to move

What happened to winning trophies and playing in the best possible league? I realise it wasn't you who gibbered on about mental strength and some such nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JECK said:

They play in a better standard of league, Tierney plays against English league 1/2 equivalent week in week out, if he's lucky he'll play English championship level when he plays against rangers and Aberdeen.

Better standard of league, but they still had the ability to go further. Hell, they both won next to fuck all for their clubs. Would anyone slander them for their decision of being 1 club* players? Would they buggery.

*Less to De Rossi now that he's been punted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting how fans are always complaining about lack of loyalty from footballers in the modern game but when Tierney shows loyalty to Celtic he's considered by many in here to be lacking ambition and should move clubs as soon as he can. Tierney can win the 10iar and still be only 23 and can move on to bigger things knowing he achieved what most Celtic fans like himself dream of. 

Edited by mccaughey85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Most successful is generally a pretty good indicator, although I accept its not flawless. You're argument for Tierney isnae great to be honest...its akin to me saying that Eden Hazard isn't any better than Michael O'Halloran, because they don't play at the same level and therefore it can't be proven...which is utter tosh.

 

As for contempt for the Scottish Premiership...I pay in week in, week out  to watch a team chock full of jobbers on £500 a week, its not contemptful to say so, its just saying what it is.

You’ve made the strange mistake in thinking I have said that Robertson isn’t any better than Tierney. I have never said that because I don’t know. I do think Tierney possibly has the potential to go on and match Robertson’s achievements or even outdo them. He may also not do this.

For all we know, Tierney could go on to have a more successful career than Robertson. Who would’ve thought 3 years ago that Robertson would do what he has done? Nobody, that’s who and if they say otherwise they’re talking out their arse. 

There are also plenty of good players in the Premiership earning well over £500 per week. I still wouldn’t say any of them are better than Hazard though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

No because Robertson has always been and is much better than Tierney 

Bollocks. 

Robertson is nowhere near the finished article at the moment as I think he’ll still get better but he was no more than a better than average player before he went to Liverpool and Klopp got a hold of him. 

Something similar could happen to Tierney.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...