Scottish player transfers - Page 38 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Not sure I want to start another Tierney debate but reports that Lyon are very keen and have started discussions. Rumours that Barcelona were interested but put off by the asking price have been denied but i'm sure i read that Dortmund were in the same boat earlier this season? Seems like there will be solid bids this summer from biggish clubs. Probably up to him now.

If Barcelona or Dortmund come in for Tierney I will go and buy a large hat, and then proceed to eat it. 

He’s nowhere near the level to play for those teams.

He’s a good player but a move to a Brighton/Newcastle ish level team is more likely.

If he went abroad, which I doubt he would do as he seems to want to remain in his bubble, I couldn’t see him playing for a team who competes in the champions league from any top league. 

38 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If Barcelona or Dortmund come in for Tierney I will go and buy a large hat, and then proceed to eat it. 

He’s a good player but a move to a Brighton/Newcastle ish level team is more likely.

If he went abroad, which I doubt he would do as he seems to want to remain in his bubble, I couldn’t see him playing for a team who competes in the champions league from any top league. 

I get what your saying here but I think you've underestimated him slightly, I genuinely believe he could play top for any club in England outwith city and Liverpool really. Barca not right now, Dortmund yes. He's young enough and good enough to be at that level and get even better. If he gets any older they won't take him.

I agree with you in that the trouble is I don't think he wants to leave and is very much in the Celtic bubble of repeated hollow victories. (Reminds me very much of Barry Ferguson)

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Pish.

9 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Not sure I want to start another Tierney debate but reports that Lyon are very keen and have started discussions. Rumours that Barcelona were interested but put off by the asking price have been denied but i'm sure i read that Dortmund were in the same boat earlier this season? Seems like there will be solid bids this summer from biggish clubs. Probably up to him now.

Barca in for Tierney - is this April 1st?

1 hour ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'd also have thought that any potential buyer, would no doubt be troubled by his injury history, current injury and the fact that he has just had an operation?

I'd imagine most high profile clubs would also be concerned by the fact he can barely use his right foot.

I think Tierney is good enough to play for pretty much any side in the world - the same why I thought Van Djik was.

However, I think it is far more likely that he'd have to take another step to get there, like Wanyama and Van Djik did, and Dembele is currently doing.

I think Tierney would be tempted by some of the elite clubs but I'm not sure teams like Lyon, Southampton and Leicester will do.  The injuries he's had this season will put the top clubs off too.  

He turned 22 this week and it is worth remembering that at 22, Andy Robertson was in the Championship with Hull and had never played in Europe (Tierney has done 41 times).  Robertson had a similar amount of caps but didn't have any decent players ahead of him the way Tierney does.

Personally, I think he'll stay another 2 years and then move the next level.  

14 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think Tierney is good enough to play for pretty much any side in the world - the same why I thought Van Djik was.

However, I think it is far more likely that he'd have to take another step to get there, like Wanyama and Van Djik did, and Dembele is currently doing.

I think Tierney would be tempted by some of the elite clubs but I'm not sure teams like Lyon, Southampton and Leicester will do.  The injuries he's had this season will put the top clubs off too.  

He turned 22 this week and it is worth remembering that at 22, Andy Robertson was in the Championship with Hull and had never played in Europe (Tierney has done 41 times).  Robertson had a similar amount of caps but didn't have any decent players ahead of him the way Tierney does.

I completely agree with this. Don't actually think Barcelona would buy him but if he was cheaper they, or Dortmund, or whoever may take a gamble. But Celtic want proper money for him so i guess you are looking at second tier clubs like Arsenal. I agree that Southampton, Newcastle etc aren't going to be a big enough draw. Leicester is maybe different though.

14 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I’m guessing you probably thought the same thing about Andy Robertson playing for Liverpool when he was at Dundee United or even Hull?

I agree there’s no way Tierney would get into the Barcelona side at the moment but I believe he’s good enough to play at that level with a bit more experience. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Not that I'm an expert, but Tierney impresses me more than Robertson did at his age.

I agree that he has the potential to play for a huge club, the same as Robertson, but probably his best route is to sign of an average to middling club from one of the big leagues and make a name for himself there. Whether he'd want to leave Celtic for an average to middling club in England, Spain or Germany is another matter though.

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I agree that he has the potential to play for a huge club, the same as Robertson, but probably his best route is to sign of an average to middling club from one of the big leagues and make a name for himself there. Whether he'd want to leave Celtic for an average to middling club in England, Spain or Germany is another matter though.

For me that's always been the question mark over Tierney.

He's got talent, no question. But he's very comfortable at Celtic. It's his club, he wins leagues. Occasionally gets to play a big team in Europe. I'm sure it feels like success.

But in the grand scene of things, it's not. The Scottish title is not something any significant footballer aspires to achieve. So the question is, whether Tierney has the desire to push out of that comfort zone and make the step up to actually compete with the best.

On a side note, I saw Kenny McLean acting like a big man who'd 'made it' because Norwich got promoted. What an embarrassment that is. Well done for getting out of the 2nd tier. But it's the 2nd tier.. and just being in the top tier isn't impressive. And if a player has that attitude, then I doubt they'll actually achieve anything and will likely end up like Huddersfield.

32 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Not that I'm an expert, but Tierney impresses me more than Robertson did at his age.

Robertson had just turned 23 when he signed for Liverpool, not a helluva lot older than Tierney currently is at 22...Robertson had played 115 matches for Hull City by then, with 57 of them being in the English Premier League. He was playing for a shite team, who in most of those 57 matches, would have been under the cosh from start to finish of each match, with the boy coming up against some of the best, quickest, strongest wingers on the planet.

Roberstons performances clearly stood out, because even when they were relegated, one of the biggest Clubs in World Fitba took a punt on him.

The argument that Tierney is a better player than Roberston was at a similar age, based on marking Chris Cadden and the likes, just does not wash. Roberston is by far and away the better player, and until Tierney decides that hes had enough of his maws breest-milk, there can be no argument against that.

19 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Robertson had just turned 23 when he signed for Liverpool, not a helluva lot older than Tierney currently is at 22...Robertson had played 115 matches for Hull City by then, with 57 of them being in the English Premier League. He was playing for a shite team, who in most of those 57 matches, would have been under the cosh from start to finish of each match, with the boy coming up against some of the best, quickest, strongest wingers on the planet.

Roberstons performances clearly stood out, because even when they were relegated, one of the biggest Clubs in World Fitba took a punt on him.

The argument that Tierney is a better player than Roberston was at a similar age, based on marking Chris Cadden and the likes, just does not wash. Roberston is by far and away the better player, and until Tierney decides that hes had enough of his maws breest-milk, there can be no argument against that.

I don’t think it’s definitive that Robertson is a better player than Tierney.

Robertson has certainly achieved more and has demonstrated that he can perform consistently against a high level of opposition but there is nothing to say that Tierney couldn’t do the same. Only time will tell on that.  

54 minutes ago, andyD said:

For me that's always been the question mark over Tierney.

He's got talent, no question. But he's very comfortable at Celtic. It's his club, he wins leagues. Occasionally gets to play a big team in Europe. I'm sure it feels like success.

But in the grand scene of things, it's not. The Scottish title is not something any significant footballer aspires to achieve. So the question is, whether Tierney has the desire to push out of that comfort zone and make the step up to actually compete with the best.

On a side note, I saw Kenny McLean acting like a big man who'd 'made it' because Norwich got promoted. What an embarrassment that is. Well done for getting out of the 2nd tier. But it's the 2nd tier.. and just being in the top tier isn't impressive. And if a player has that attitude, then I doubt they'll actually achieve anything and will likely end up like Huddersfield.

How should McLean have celebrated Norwich's league win and promotion?

I think it is definitive, until Tierney proves otherwise...

...one plays in an absolute backwater of a fitba league, against jobbers some of whom will be picking up £500 a week...the other is adored by the fans of one of the biggest clubs in the world, and the current reigning champions of Europe, whilst more than holding his own against every top winger you can name.

I'd love to see Tierney get a good move, and go and smash it though.

37 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I think it is definitive, until Tierney proves otherwise...

...one plays in an absolute backwater of a fitba league, against jobbers some of whom will be picking up £500 a week...the other is adored by the fans of one of the biggest clubs in the world, and the current reigning champions of Europe, whilst more than holding his own against every top winger you can name.

I'd love to see Tierney get a good move, and go and smash it though.

More successful does not necessarily mean better. 

If Tierney goes to England (or another top league) and fails then you can say Robertson is a better player and it will actually be based on something other that your contempt for the Scottish Premiership. 

56 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

By reminding himself there’s an imminent international double header instead of getting absolutely blootered and stealing the mayor’s hat. Admittedly I might have done the same at that age.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

No problem with people celebrating their success. If he was on the top deck of a bus round town with his teammates, cool.

I'm talking about a specific moment where he was stoney-faced "we won the league, nay big deal", as if he was the greatest player to ever set foot on a pitch. Which is funny considering he played played any part in Norwich's promotion, spending less than 15 games with of minutes on the pitch. Part of me is now looking forward to seeing him get pumped 7-0 by Man City next season.

Maybe it's just his sense of humour, tho I don't think I've ever seen the man crack a smile. Watched a few interviews with him since to try and get a feel for him, but honestly can't say I've warmed to him at all. His favourite thing about being a footballer is.. "the lifestyle." f*** sake.

Basically I started out thinking h was a fairly average footballer, and as i've found out more about him, I'm leaning towards him just being a prat. Broonie's a prat, but he's got some respect and will properly knuckle down when required. McLean.. remains to be seen what he is. Hopefully he finally shows something in a Scotland shirt should he get one on at some point, as his five caps to date have been pretty forgettable.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

What are you talking about?

He's had 6 assists and three goals in 15 starts  as a holding midfielder. Norwich have been unbeaten in 14 since his return to the team so he has played a major part in their promotion. Getting out of the championship is massive to any team and it's players. He has every right to be confident about his ability and I won't lose any sleep if he starts against Cyprus.

Oh and he is our joint top scorer in this campaign.