Scottish player transfers - Page 188 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I hope you are right but I find that hard to believe due to the zero chances he is being given. McLaughlin has played when McGregor hasn't so cannot see how that equates to McCrorie being lined up as the new No 1.

Did McGregor not follow a similar early career path? I'm dragging this from the depths of my memory but I'm sure I recall some early loans followed by a few years of benchwarming before he broke through at Rangers?

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I hope you are right but I find that hard to believe due to the zero chances he is being given. McLaughlin has played when McGregor hasn't so cannot see how that equates to McCrorie being lined up as the new No 1.

Don’t think the club or fans think McLaughlin is the answer anymore tbh

25 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Did McGregor not follow a similar early career path? I'm dragging this from the depths of my memory but I'm sure I recall some early loans followed by a few years of benchwarming before he broke through at Rangers?

I think you're right, but I'm sure he became a Rangers regular long before he was 24. The age McRorie is now. He'll be 25 when he "takes over" next season. Yes, goalies tend to progress at a different rate but 25 is really pushing it. He should be an established number 1 somewhere by then. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think you're right, but I'm sure he became a Rangers regular long before he was 24. The age McRorie is now. He'll be 25 when he "takes over" next season. Yes, goalies tend to progress at a different rate but 25 is really pushing it. He should be an established number 1 somewhere by then. 

He had two loan spells at St Johnstone (1st Division) and Dunfermline (SPL).  He was actually 24 when he became Rangers regular keeper. 

Was looking that Klopp has said Scotland has a golden generation coming through in comments regarding Ramsey and Doak and says that there is a lot of scouting happening up here. They have also been connected with a 15 year old at Aberdeen I want to say Dobrecki????

Arsenal also chasing Wylie of Rangers.

Seems to be true and there is guys popping up all over the place being tracked by bigger clubs.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This sudden increase of young talent being developed seems to be the Dutch bloke who worked at the SFA and brought new ideas bearing fruit.

That's certainly part of it, but those of us long enough in the tooth to have lived through the lean times (and be old enough to take notice of what was going on) will remember there was a huge amount of soul searching across Scottish football for many years and starting even before 1998, somewhat culminating in the Mcleish report but of course continuing afterward too in terms of continual non-qualification for tournaments. I remember vividly how clear it was to everyone I interacted with that the issue was the way we were teaching kids football - a huge focus on strength and fitness (and being large) and too little on technique and football intelligence. That national conversation will have seeped into the mindset of the entire game here - although many would have remained unmoved (see messers Stark and Gemmill in the Scotland youth set up for instance), many will have seen the light and sought to educate themselves to train footballers in another way. Some of that conversation took place as long as 30 years ago, so the young aspiring coaches of that generation are almost at retirement age now. It has taken a long time and I am certain the influence and hard work of a great many people to start to shift the attitudes in Scotland, but we are now starting to see the fruit of that.

Through gritted teeth I might almost say the SFA have done well, although much too slowly and much too late for my liking. The Performance Schools and more widely the Performance Strategy (including the much-maligned Club Academy Scotland system) seem to be producing significantly more players able to compete at the required level now.

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

McGregor started breaking in at mid 24 but was always dropped by PLG for Letzi when he was fit. Once PLG went he became number 1. That was roughly when he turned 25. 

8 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Similar but McGregor had more successful loans at 23/24. McCrorie has sat in the stands at the same age.

I honestly don't know why McCrorie hasn't been out on loan or just our straight out number 2. When we had that covid outbreak last season, he started in Europe and against Celtic keeping 2 clean sheets and playing well. Then he was never seen again.

He's clearly rated by both Rangers and Scotland but unless he has been promised to be number 1, it seems a strange career decision to stay with Rangers.

I hope it works out and he becomes Rangers and Scotland number 1 but at the minute I don't see it working that way.

16 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Robby McRorie signs a contract extension at Rangers until 2025. That can only be bad news. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this kickstarting his career any time soon.

What a waste of supposed talent. He should be demanding a loan move now at least to get games. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

That's certainly part of it, but those of us long enough in the tooth to have lived through the lean times (and be old enough to take notice of what was going on) will remember there was a huge amount of soul searching across Scottish football for many years and starting even before 1998, somewhat culminating in the Mcleish report but of course continuing afterward too in terms of continual non-qualification for tournaments. I remember vividly how clear it was to everyone I interacted with that the issue was the way we were teaching kids football - a huge focus on strength and fitness (and being large) and too little on technique and football intelligence. That national conversation will have seeped into the mindset of the entire game here - although many would have remained unmoved (see messers Stark and Gemmill in the Scotland youth set up for instance), many will have seen the light and sought to educate themselves to train footballers in another way. Some of that conversation took place as long as 30 years ago, so the young aspiring coaches of that generation are almost at retirement age now. It has taken a long time and I am certain the influence and hard work of a great many people to start to shift the attitudes in Scotland, but we are now starting to see the fruit of that.

Through gritted teeth I might almost say the SFA have done well, although much too slowly and much too late for my liking. The Performance Schools and more widely the Performance Strategy (including the much-maligned Club Academy Scotland system) seem to be producing significantly more players able to compete at the required level now.

It's actually a travesty that men like Scot Gemmill and Billy Stark are still employed by the SFA. Seeing them put in charge of some outstanding young talents is like seeing bad soap actor cast as the lead in a Shakespearean play. A complete waste and a missed opportunity.

Gemmill, in particular, seems to have been in post forever and has delivered neither the results nor the performances to justify his continued employment. I could forgive his industrial football if it was effective and we were qualifying for tournaments - that's excellent experience for young players - but bar one play-off appearance he has failed on that front. I can only guess he and Stark are working for peanuts because surely there must be other coaches available who could make more of the young talents at their disposal.

Just more news on talented Scottish RBs.

Newcastle want to offer 4m for Ashby even though he is out of contract next summer, whatever way they are pushing, Leeds also in the chase, Newcastle see him being developed into the direct replacement for Trippier who they want him mentoring now, West Ham still desperate to keep him.

Devine has signed a new long term contract with Rangers. And Arsenal and Leeds are pushing for 15 year old Rangers RB Whylie. 

Van Dijk has been impressed with Ramsey since getting back from injury.

Edited by syecosse

On 10/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, syecosse said:

Was looking that Klopp has said Scotland has a golden generation coming through in comments regarding Ramsey and Doak and says that there is a lot of scouting happening up here. They have also been connected with a 15 year old at Aberdeen I want to say Dobrecki????

Arsenal also chasing Wylie of Rangers.

Seems to be true and there is guys popping up all over the place being tracked by bigger clubs.

Domeracki and he’s at Tannadice. 15 year old who seems to be a regular in our under 18 side. Apparently Chelsea also keen. It seems that any decent youngster in Scotland now is moving south at 16/17 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Domeracki and he’s at Tannadice. 15 year old who seems to be a regular in our under 18 side. Apparently Chelsea also keen. It seems that any decent youngster in Scotland now is moving south at 16/17 

Ah sorry knew i read something thought i read Aberdeen, No one up here can compete with the money  they offer and add the facilities/coaching at that youth level etc they have down south( although Rangers bought a few youngsters there this summer), it would be nice to see if they do develop better with the right coaching and like Klopp says we have a golden generation  which does look promising with the amount of youngsters although not all will make it. 

7 hours ago, syecosse said:

Just more news on talented Scottish RBs.

Newcastle want to offer 4m for Ashby even though he is out of contract next summer, whatever way they are pushing, Leeds also in the chase, Newcastle see him being developed into the direct replacement for Trippier who they want him mentoring now, West Ham still desperate to keep him.

Devine has signed a new long term contract with Rangers. And Arsenal and Leeds are pushing for 15 year old Rangers RB Whylie. 

Van Dijk has been impressed with Ramsey since getting back from injury.

English clubs can't sign pre contracts with players based in England. If they are under a certain age they also have to pay large compensation (in the millions)

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

English clubs can't sign pre contracts with players based in England. If they are under a certain age they also have to pay large compensation (in the millions)

May well be good for us internationally but disappointing for the domestic game 

On 10/9/2022 at 7:03 PM, syecosse said:

Ah sorry knew i read something thought i read Aberdeen, No one up here can compete with the money  they offer and add the facilities/coaching at that youth level etc they have down south( although Rangers bought a few youngsters there this summer), it would be nice to see if they do develop better with the right coaching and like Klopp says we have a golden generation  which does look promising with the amount of youngsters although not all will make it. 

English clubs can just hoover up talent as if its nothing. Money is pretty much no object when getting any young player they want.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really hope he stays. Couple of seasons getting first team experience at club like rangers would be great. 

Would be disappointing, in recent years we lost Gilmour and Wilson without either playing a game, and didn't see as much of Patterson as I would have liked. At least shows something right is happening with our player development.

14 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Would be disappointing, in recent years we lost Gilmour and Wilson without either playing a game, and didn't see as much of Patterson as I would have liked. At least shows something right is happening with our player development.

Hes only 18 as well. Thats very young for a centre back. 2/3 seasons playing first team football at rangers would prepare him well for a move south when hes 20/21.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really hope he stays. Couple of seasons getting first team experience at club like rangers would be great. 

It hasn't done Patterson any harm in leaving at a young age. But I think he may be an exception. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

For a second there I thought you were referring to Danny Wilson. 😂

Rory Wilson, Gilmour and Patterson are all performance school guys as well. Very good sign that that academy is producing quality.

• 2 weeks later...