Scottish player transfers - Page 187 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, make or break time now for Johnston. The talent is definitely there but can he play a full season without getting injured ?

Apparently he was not keen about going on loan anywhere (he had already refused to go on loan to a Belgian club this summer) and wanted to regain his place at Celtic. Thankfully, it appears that some sense has been talked into him.

Great news. That type of league should suit him down to the ground. Definitely an international class player in there somewhere. As I said before, he could be the next Shaun Maloney (fan favourite) or the next GMS (unfulfilled potential).

I'll tell you what. The best transfer news of this summer is that Rangers didn't buy a new keeper. McLaughlin will be a Champions League goalkeeper!

22 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Especially when compared to the money spent on Gibbs-White or what Chelsea seemed willing to spend on Gordon.

Probably 12-18 months ago his value would have been much higher but since then we all know he didn't impress at Norwich. 

Football is a fickle game, wee Billy was everyones flavour of the month after his first few first team games at Chelsea & again after our draw at Wembley but now there seems plenty in the game that are questioning if he can play regularly at the top level. Really surprised & kinda worries me that his alleged father figure Lampard didn't take a come in for him at that price. Guess Everton could be facing a battle to stay up so Lampard thought he isn't suited to that type of team. 

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Great news. That type of league should suit him down to the ground. Definitely an international class player in there somewhere. As I said before, he could be the next Shaun Maloney (fan favourite) or the next GMS (unfulfilled potential).

I'll tell you what. The best transfer news of this summer is that Rangers didn't buy a new keeper. McLaughlin will be a Champions League goalkeeper!

Yeh it's a great chance for Johnston , really hope he can stay fit & kick on. By the end of this season we should know which comparison you make he fits. 

Kinda weird that Rangers didn't sign anybody with the guarantees champs lge money, they must reckon madman Morelles will be fit enough to contribute at some stage. Sorry this is rather off topic but it's great to see 2 Scottish clubs qualify, it'll be tough for both but good to have a bit more interest in it & I'll be right behind both of them equally, like most of us on here I hope ☺️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

13 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Probably 12-18 months ago his value would have been much higher but since then we all know he didn't impress at Norwich. 

Football is a fickle game, wee Billy was everyones flavour of the month after his first few first team games at Chelsea & again after our draw at Wembley but now there seems plenty in the game that are questioning if he can play regularly at the top level. Really surprised & kinda worries me that his alleged father figure Lampard didn't take a come in for him at that price. Guess Everton could be facing a battle to stay up so Lampard thought he isn't suited to that type of team. 

Yes, good points.
Regarding Lampard not coming in for Gilmour, maybe Billly Gilmour had some say in the decision? If so, you can see why he might have chosen Brighton over an Everton already being talked about as 'relegation contenders?

19 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh it's a great chance for Johnston , really hope he can stay fit & kick on. By the end of this season we should know which comparison you make he fits. 

Kinda weird that Rangers didn't sign anybody with the guarantees champs lge money, they must reckon madman Morelles will be fit enough to contribute at some stage. Sorry this is rather off topic but it's great to see 2 Scottish clubs qualify, it'll be tough for both but good to have a bit more interest in it & I'll be right behind both of them equally, like most of us on here I hope ☺️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I suspect GMS, or maybe even the next Gauld, where he'll be touted for a call up for 5 solid years and not get it. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm wondering if Rangers financial situation was a lot worse than they let on. They spent a lot of money they hadn't earned yet stopping the 10. Their Europa run and now CL money may have come to the rescue. I guess it paid off!

I'll be supporting every team in Europe with Scots. I'm a little concerned by the stockpiling of players at Celtic right now though. CalMac and Taylor are the 2 most likely to get game time. I'm sure Turnbull will see plenty of minutes, too.

23 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, make or break time now for Johnston. The talent is definitely there but can he play a full season without getting injured ?

Apparently he was not keen about going on loan anywhere (he had already refused to go on loan to a Belgian club this summer) and wanted to regain his place at Celtic. Thankfully, it appears that some sense has been talked into him.

He would be lucky to have had much game time this season, maybe cup games, but Celtic have some very good attacking players and a good bit of depth now. Hopefully the move does him some good but don't see him getting back to Celtic and playing even next year.

15 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not convinced McLaughlin is that great a keeper.

.if I was a rangers fan I'd be much more confident with McGregor in goals 

On 9/2/2022 at 10:01 AM, mcguffin said:

Yes, good points.
Regarding Lampard not coming in for Gilmour, maybe Billly Gilmour had some say in the decision? If so, you can see why he might have chosen Brighton over an Everton already being talked about as 'relegation contenders?

Strong rumours that Graham Potter is being lined up to take over from Tuchel at Chelsea. 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I can't see it myself. Chelsea have always been a club to look abroad for their manager or on the rare occasion they don't its a manager who was an ex-player for them.

I wouldn’t have seen it under Roman but who knows how these owners will go. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I wouldn’t have seen it under Roman but who knows how these owners will go. 

Fair point. 

If it is Potter then it shows the new owners have lowered  their expectations/standards. I mean Potter has a great record at Brighton but it is unproven how he'd fair at a massive club with players with equally as massive egos and pressures of expectation that he'd get at Chelsea.

56 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair point. 

If it is Potter then it shows the new owners have lowered  their expectations/standards. I mean Potter has a great record at Brighton but it is unproven how he'd fair at a massive club with players with equally as massive egos and pressures of expectation that he'd get at Chelsea.

I selfishly hope Potter stays where he is, simply because I think he'll play Billy Gilmour in his Brighton team. (That said, maybe he'll move to Chelsea and then buy back Gilmour from Brighton for half price in the January transfer window 😉 )

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

I selfishly hope Potter stays where he is, simply because I think he'll play Billy Gilmour in his Brighton team. (That said, maybe he'll move to Chelsea and then buy back Gilmour from Brighton for half price in the January transfer window 😉 )

Well it seems Brighton have given Chelsea permission to speak to Potter.

If Potter goes I do not think it will impact on Gilmour's chances. The new manager (whoever that is), with the transfer window closed, will have to work with the players he has got so every player at Brighton will have to impress so he (Gilmour) is not any more disadvantaged than anyone else at the club.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If Potter goes I do not think it will impact on Gilmour's chances. The new manager (whoever that is), with the transfer window closed, will have to work with the players he has got so every player at Brighton will have to impress so he (Gilmour) is not any more disadvantaged than anyone else at the club.

👍 I think you are right!

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hopefully it’s not Tuchel. 

Leeds are apparently favourites for Harrison Ashby in Jan. Now, Apparently as frst choice Right back, Newcastle also still want him with the view of taking over Kieran Trippier long term, West Ham are still trying to negotiate a new deal but looks like he will not be making to many appearances until his future is sorted. 

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Robby McRorie signs a contract extension at Rangers until 2025. That can only be bad news. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this kickstarting his career any time soon.

Agreed.

The only sense this makes is if he has been given assurances of being No 1 after McGregor retires. However, if not it is daft as Rangers will more than likely buy a foreign goalkeeper for their new No 1.

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed.

The only sense this makes is if he has been given assurances of being No 1 after McGregor retires. However, if not it is daft as Rangers will more than likely buy a foreign goalkeeper for their new No 1.

I think it’s virtually guaranteed he’s taking over as #1 next season from McGregor.

hope it happens 

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed.

Club loyalty, or at least loyalty to   coaching staff does still exist and perhaps he likes living in Glasgow and that has a part to play in it too. 

Doubt future appearances have been discussed 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

Just now, ProudScot said:

I think it’s virtually guaranteed he’s taking over as #1 next season from McGregor.

hope it happens 

I hope you are right but I find that hard to believe due to the zero chances he is being given. McLaughlin has played when McGregor hasn't so cannot see how that equates to McCrorie being lined up as the new No 1.