Scottish player transfers - Page 178 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers


SkyBlueScot
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think perhaps the best example of this is De Stefano, some say the greatest of all time. Bit before my time and I’ve only seen short clips, but apparently he could play just about anywhere. 
As far as the shaky defence, in my opinion , we’ve got what we’ve got. I think we just need to find the best partnership and go with it. Perhaps McKenna and Souttar. I believe if we get the midfield right, in terms of numbers and balance, that’s the best we can do to protect them and we just need to go with it and put faith in the defence when they are called upon. But I do think if we get that midfield right we can provide very good cover for them. 
I think we are getting to the stage where we are “shooting ourselves in the foot” by overcompensating for our defensive weakness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think perhaps the best example of this is De Stefano, some say the greatest of all time. Bit before my time and I’ve only seen short clips, but apparently he could play just about anywhere. 
As far as the shaky defence, in my opinion , we’ve got what we’ve got. I think we just need to find the best partnership and go with it. Perhaps McKenna and Souttar. I believe if we get the midfield right, in terms of numbers and balance, that’s the best we can do to protect them and we just need to go with it and put faith in the defence when they are called upon. But I do think if we get that midfield right we can provide very good cover for them. 
I think we are getting to the stage where we are “shooting ourselves in the foot” by overcompensating for our defensive weakness.

Or Lothar Matthaus. Excellent as a sweeper and in pretty much any midfield position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Or Lothar Matthaus. Excellent as a sweeper and in pretty much any midfield position.

Someone closer to home, Steve Nicol, played in defence and midfield. 
Im suggesting Tierney because I can’t see anyone else who can fill the role at the moment. But I’d be happy to see Campbell tried there or Hickey or Lewis Ferguson or anyone else who fits the bill. But I think we are in desperate need of a good defensive midfielder. 
Even if Clarke sticks with a back 3/5, we can’t get away with only 2 central midfielders. Surely if there’s anything he’s going to take away from the last group of games is the fact that central midfield needs bolstered. That means ditching the 3/4/2/1 in favour of 3/5/1/1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Someone closer to home, Steve Nicol, played in defence and midfield. 
Im suggesting Tierney because I can’t see anyone else who can fill the role at the moment. But I’d be happy to see Campbell tried there or Hickey or Lewis Ferguson or anyone else who fits the bill. But I think we are in desperate need of a good defensive midfielder. 
Even if Clarke sticks with a back 3/5, we can’t get away with only 2 central midfielders. Surely if there’s anything he’s going to take away from the last group of games is the fact that central midfield needs bolstered. That means ditching the 3/4/2/1 in favour of 3/5/1/1.


ryan jack is an excellent defencive midfielder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Someone closer to home, Steve Nicol, played in defence and midfield. 
Im suggesting Tierney because I can’t see anyone else who can fill the role at the moment. But I’d be happy to see Campbell tried there or Hickey or Lewis Ferguson or anyone else who fits the bill. But I think we are in desperate need of a good defensive midfielder. 
Even if Clarke sticks with a back 3/5, we can’t get away with only 2 central midfielders. Surely if there’s anything he’s going to take away from the last group of games is the fact that central midfield needs bolstered. That means ditching the 3/4/2/1 in favour of 3/5/1/1.

The reason the back 5 works so well with Tierney in the team is because when we are in possession, he is like having an extra midfielder. Same goes for Patterson and Robertson. Essentially 3 of our back 5 become midfielders when we have the ball. Then, when we don't have the ball, we have a solid back 5 wall. 

However, without Tierney, we then have an out and out defender in his spot. So, that possession based football we have been trying to create becomes incredibly hard without Tierney joining in and puts way too much pressure on Gilmour and McGregor.

I see the logic in starting Tierney in midfield, but I don't agree. Because he is already inadvertently playing that role anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2022 at 2:44 PM, Scot1 said:

Liverpool don’t play with “Wingers”, they play with “Inside Forwards”, there is a difference. 
McGinn is not a “Playmaker”, he’s an “Inside Forward” or a “2nd Striker”. 
And at this moment in time, as Liverpool switch to a more “Direct” style of attack, McGinn would be ideal. That’s my opinion. You play McGinn on either side of a “Striker” in a 4/3/3, I think he prefers the right but is more than capable of switching and roaming when the opportunity arises. Or you play him off the “Striker” as a “2nd Striker” in a 4/4/2 (4/4/1/1) or 3/5/2 (3/5/1/1)

Correct, they play with inside forwards who start off on the wing and can go past defenders on the inside or outside. They can also play centre forward. All things that McGinn has never done and cant do. At an elite level he has no pace and no tricks. He has literally no attributes that would allow him to play as part of a front 3 for Liverpool.

McGinn is an attacking midfielder, somebody who can use his body, can see a pass, can link play, hold up the ball, chase people down and ghost into the box to get shots off.  Thats where he plays best for Scotland and where he played best for Villa before they bought somebody better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2022 at 2:49 PM, Scot1 said:

In my opinion McGinn is easily good enough for the Champions League. I think McGinn on the right side of a front 3 in a 4/3/3 is good enough to play in just about any team. He’d be perfect for Liverpool at this moment in time. 

I doubt liverpool would play him there if they bought him. Fair enough mcginns scored goals for us and been a great attacking threat but hes still not a forward that could do mane or salahs job. Alot of the teams we play at international level are quite poor and mcginn has been good at getting goals against them especially when playing the attacking mid role. 

Imo hes an attacking mid and a centre mid. Both positions he plays well but for us due to our lack of goals we tend to play him in the attacking mid role. He could play the second striker for us but again thats partly due to the poor international teams we face and the fact hes a goal threat which we badly need in games.

I think he would be great for any top 6 epl team but theres very little chance liverpool buy him and play as part of front three.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 6:09 PM, Diamond Scot said:
On 6/23/2022 at 2:44 PM, Scot1 said:

Correct, they play with inside forwards who start off on the wing and can go past defenders on the inside or outside. They can also play centre forward. All things that McGinn has never done and cant do. At an elite level he has no pace and no tricks. He has literally no attributes that would allow him to play as part of a front 3 for Liverpool.

I disagree with every word in this paragraph. 
What I will agree with is McGinn wouldn’t have suited playing in Liverpool’s frontline of previous seasons. And again I’m assuming with the addition of Darwin Nunez they are changing their “style” of attack, by playing with a orthodox Centre Forward. So I’d expect the “Inside Forwards” will have less of a onus to score goals and act as a striker but will be expected to provide assists for Nunez, I believe McGinn is well suited to the job in these circumstances. 
Interestingly, Man City seem to be taking the same approach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 7:58 AM, Tartan blood said:

The reason the back 5 works so well with Tierney in the team is because when we are in possession, he is like having an extra midfielder. Same goes for Patterson and Robertson. Essentially 3 of our back 5 become midfielders when we have the ball. Then, when we don't have the ball, we have a solid back 5 wall. 

However, without Tierney, we then have an out and out defender in his spot. So, that possession based football we have been trying to create becomes incredibly hard without Tierney joining in and puts way too much pressure on Gilmour and McGregor.

I see the logic in starting Tierney in midfield, but I don't agree. Because he is already inadvertently playing that role anyway. 

Playing Tierney as a left-sided centre back limits him to that side of the pitch. Playing him into midfield allows him to move around the pitch, although if he was playing as a defensive midfielder, you’d expect him to be central, in the middle 1/3 of the pitch, the majority of the time. 

Edited by Scot1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rangers look like they may be about to sign a load of Scottish prospects,Lancelot Pollard signed from Aberdeen, Cameron Cooper Partick, Bailey Rice from Motherwell and Cameron Bell of Everton all could be signing, interesting considering they brought the Ajax youth coach and highly rated youth coach from Belgium. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Rangers look like they may be about to sign a load of Scottish prospects,Lancelot Pollard signed from Aberdeen, Cameron Cooper Partick, Bailey Rice from Motherwell and Cameron Bell of Everton all could be signing, interesting considering they brought the Ajax youth coach and highly rated youth coach from Belgium. 

 

I find it difficult to get excited about Rangers signing promising young Scottish players as so few of them get opportunities in the first team.  Hopefully, as you say, that might change with the new coaching set up but I'll reserve judgement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Rangers look like they may be about to sign a load of Scottish prospects,Lancelot Pollard signed from Aberdeen, Cameron Cooper Partick, Bailey Rice from Motherwell and Cameron Bell of Everton all could be signing, interesting considering they brought the Ajax youth coach and highly rated youth coach from Belgium. 

 

They're just replacing the fleet of youths that have left.

Rangers should have been developing the best youth in Scotland when they were in the 4th tier of Scottish football. I seriously doubt now that they are Europa league and Scottish champion contenders that they'll suddenly start focusing on youngsters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I find it difficult to get excited about Rangers signing promising young Scottish players as so few of them get opportunities in the first team.  Hopefully, as you say, that might change with the new coaching set up but I'll reserve judgement.

I think that’s been fair for years but you can’t say that about last year;

Alex Lowry, Leon King, Adam Devine, Cole McKinnon all got game time - admittedly they could have received more.

Think it’s a step in the right direction though and a couple of last seasons loanees could join the first team squad this season like Kai Kennedy & Josh McPake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is what Rangers do any different to top clubs everywhere else do? 

Only difference I can see is the lack of game time in the diddy cups and as long as the Old Firm continue to measure success in trebles this will always be the case. 

Yes. A direct and fair comparison would be their biggest rivals, Celtic. Celtic had the resources and talent to completely ignore youths and promising Scots if they wanted to and still breeze through the league.

I'm not sure how many Rangers youths have become full internationals in the last 10-20 years, but I know Celtic have created over 40 in the past 2 decades. Which doesn't include young Scots they've signed like Armstrong, Brown, Christie etc.

Celtic didn't have to develop youths. But they did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yes. A direct and fair comparison would be their biggest rivals, Celtic. Celtic had the resources and talent to completely ignore youths and promising Scots if they wanted to and still breeze through the league.

I'm not sure how many Rangers youths have become full internationals in the last 10-20 years, but I know Celtic have created over 40 in the past 2 decades. Which doesn't include young Scots they've signed like Armstrong, Brown, Christie etc.

Celtic didn't have to develop youths. But they did.

Who are the 40 just out of interest? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marshall, Maloney, McManus, Devlin, Hendry, Beattie, Wallace, O’Donnell, Findlay, Brophy, Gallagher. McGregor, Ralston, Tierney, Robertson. 
 

I’m struggling after that, and I’m including players who have briefly passed through the Celtic youth system, but there are probably a few more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

 

I'm not sure how many Rangers youths have become full internationals in the last 10-20 years,

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order, Allan McGregor, Barry Ferguson, Stephen Hughes, Alan Hutton, Maurice Ross, Danny Wilson, Charlie Adam, John Fleck, Chris Burke, Ross McCormack, Dylan McGeogh, Nathan Patterson, Billy Gilmour, Kenny McLean, Barry Robson, Greg Taylor.

So 16 (and I'm bound to have missed a few) which is probably better than I was expecting given Rangers lost their entire set up and spent a quarter of that 20 year period in the lower leagues.  What we should be seeing now is the "benefit" of that time in the lower leagues where young players could have been blooded and developed without the comparative pressure of competing with Celtic and now making an impact in the Scotland team but for the time being that isn't happening.

As mentioned above, the current crop of young players, and in particular Lowry, King and McKinnon (and McCann but he's NI) look as strong as they have for a while (throw Patterson & Gilmour in there too) so it does look as if the Academy is slowly starting to pay dividends but it remains to be seen whether they get the opportunities they need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Marshall, Maloney, McManus, Devlin, Hendry, Beattie, Wallace, O’Donnell, Findlay, Brophy, Gallagher. McGregor, Ralston, Tierney, Robertson. 
 

I’m struggling after that, and I’m including players who have briefly passed through the Celtic youth system, but there are probably a few more. 

Jamie Smith, Stephen Crainey, John Kennedy, Paul Caddis, Charlie Mulgrew and Dylan McGeouch would be six more.

I'm not 100% about this, but I think Darren Fletcher also spend some time at Celtic before the age of sixteen.

Edited by ErsatzThistle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Jamie Smith, Stephen Crainey, John Kennedy, Paul Caddis, Charlie Mulgrew and Dylan McGeouch would be six more.

I'm not 100% about this, but I think Darren Fletcher also spend some time at Celtic before the age of sixteen.

I picked Dylan McGeogh first! 😋

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...