Scottish player transfers - Page 173 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

On 5/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, Tartan blood said:

It's been so long since a young Scottish striker really exploded onto the scene. Was Tony Watt the last one that got everyone excited? And that was 10 years ago now. I can't think of anyone else that even came close.

Nisbet is showing promise, but his was more of a gentle trickle, rather than an explosion.

Did Tony Watt get anybody excited, apart from Tony Watt? 

5 hours ago, syecosse said:

Aston villa will complete signing of Rangers youth striker Rory Wilson and another superkid from Hearts Ewan Simpson expected today.

Gerrard didn't have a great track record of playing young players at Rangers did he, will it be any different at Villa.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:12 PM, Orraloon said:

Did Tony Watt get anybody excited, apart from Tony Watt? 

Wasn't it him who scored the second against Barcelona for Celtic? I think a lot of people got ahead of themselves after that.

3 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Gerrard didn't have a great track record of playing young players at Rangers did he, will it be any different at Villa.

Gerrard will be under a bit less pressure to win things at Villa, so possibly.

Worst case scenario, he doesn't get played but at least makes more money than he would not playing at Rangers.  🙃

On 5/27/2022 at 3:39 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Read the whole post I do say Lowry should defo have got more game time for the last few months of this season.

Sorry - just catching up, but Lowry got injured in youth team defeat to Sevilla in Feb, and then again following the 3-0 Dundee game (his return game following the Sevilla injury). Think he was out for a total of six or seven weeks during the second half of the season- which is a fair amount considering he only made his debut the last weekend of Jan.

Hopefully see lot more of him this coming season.

Edited by Stu101

20 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Calvin Ramsay close to signing for Liverpool

Hopefully he's either involved with the first team or goes somewhere for regular game time.

Some of the reports I've seen suggests they want him as a backup to Trent Alexander-Arnold, which will hopefully mean he could get some game time for Liverpool next season - even if it's in the cup competitions.

23 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Calvin Ramsay close to signing for Liverpool

What are the thoughts from an aberdeen and Scotland fan, good move or too soon?

I always prefer the stepping stone route, ie Robertson to Hull then Liverpool. 

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yes I totally agree. Ramsay now will no doubt get no first team football and may play in their reserves or junior sides. Quite a fall from first team football.

Our players who move south are far better moving to a lesser club where first team football will be far more attainable. They then get the chance to show what they can do and make a reputation for themselves and get bought by a bigger club who are already very impressed and ready to slot them into the side.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I totally agree. Ramsay now will no doubt get no first team football and may play in their reserves or junior sides. Quite a fall from first team football.

Our players who move south are far better moving to a lesser club where first team football will be far more attainable. They then get the chance to show what they can do and make a reputation for themselves and get bought by a bigger club who are already very impressed and ready to slot them into the side.

As someone said above, if he is back up to the current Liverpool RB..he will potentially get cup matches and could play if the RB is injured. He may also go out on Loan to the Championship

He will be training with world class players and working with one of the worlds best managers, does this outweigh playing every week in Scotland......... its probably on a par. 

From an Aberdeen point of view, I can't complain. The figures being quoted are between £4m and £6m which is a massive boost to the coughers at pittodrie. In an ideal world you keep your best players but we don;t live in such a world, if the price is right you have to sell.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

As someone said above, if he is back up to the current Liverpool RB..he will potentially get cup matches and could play if the RB is injured. He may also go out on Loan to the Championship

He will be training with world class players and working with one of the worlds best managers, does this outweigh playing every week in Scotland......... its probably on a par. 

From an Aberdeen point of view, I can't complain. The figures being quoted are between £4m and £6m which is a massive boost to the coughers at pittodrie. In an ideal world you keep your best players but we don;t live in such a world, if the price is right you have to sell.

I don't question the great deal it is for Aberdeen - absolutely it is. I just don't think it's the right move career-wise for him. But we shall see.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't question the great deal it is for Aberdeen - absolutely it is. I just don't think it's the right move career-wise for him. But we shall see.

I don't think we can say if it's a good move yet. 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Another Danny Wilson scenario I fear - could have done with another year of first-team games under his belt. Wouldn't do him much good playing in Premier League 2 which is effectively stepping back to youth football.

13 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Another Danny Wilson scenario I fear - could have done with another year of first-team games under his belt. Wouldn't do him much good playing in Premier League 2 which is effectively stepping back to youth football.

Yes that is the thing. I can only think of Kieran Tierney who has moved straight to one of the big clubs in the EPL and made it and even he had to wait a few months for his chance. Liverpool are on a different level to Arsenal and Tierney was a seasoned pro at League champions Celtic. Even Aberdeen fans would not go as far as to say Ramsay is at Tierney's level and needs developing. Will Liverpool develop him in say two or three years? I somehow doubt it. 

Danny Wilson looked like he might be the real deal when he broke through at Rangers but for whatever reason he never really progressed.

Tierney was a Celtic regular and played Champions League football before going to Arsenal. Ramsay looks a class act but he's played, what, one season as a first-teamer at Aberdeen? I obviously hope he makes it at Liverpool and turns into a superstar but I can't help but feel he might be leaving too soon.

15 hours ago, syecosse said:

Lewis Neilson moving Dundee Utd to Hearts was this guy not wanted by a lot of top English sides not long ago?

Utd have got so many good youngsters I lose track of the offers they get and had to look it up.  Club accepted an offer of £500k from Leicester last Feb but Neilson opted to stay. 

Think there were more approaches for Kerr Smith before he went to Villa. With Ross Graham emerging I think Neilson maybe wasn’t  expecting too much game time next year so has decided to look elsewhere as he apparently wants to be a first pick?

He’s quite good, not as good as Smith or Graham. 

Edited by adamntg