Scottish player transfers - Page 140 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

If Celtic's transfers over the last few years are anything to go by, then you are probably right. I have no idea if they are still using the same failed scouting system in recent times. If they are, it'll be more money flushed down the pan.

With the rebuild Celtic need, they should be signing some of Scotland's best affordable players. Marshall, O'Donnell, Gauld, Nisbet would all improve their team right now.

Signing players from the Man City and PSG academies is one thing but they're being linked with a boy from Watford! It's a bit of a kick in the chookies for lads from their own academy trying to make it.

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Is it a sackable offence though?  They kept this character on the books for over a year:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11483892/armstrong-okoflex-girl-peng-celtic-instagram/

Probably not. All I know is I wouldn’t want the creepy wee bastard messaging my daughter. If he hasn’t broken any laws then they probably couldn’t sack him but they could sell him if they felt his actions were inappropriate. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Probably not. All I know is I wouldn’t want the creepy wee bastard messaging my daughter. If he hasn’t broken any laws then they probably couldn’t sack him but they could sell him if they felt his actions were inappropriate. 

Celtics PR over the past 12 months has been as horrendous as their signings.

Youd think releasing him is likely as he’s bound to have a clause in his contract that says if he brings the club into disrepute they can void the time left on his deal. 

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don't think you'll be alone there.  

I wonder if Celtic might send him out on loan or something.  A move back to Livingston would be a certainty if they did!

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Celtics PR over the past 12 months has been as horrendous as their signings.

Youd think releasing him is likely as he’s bound to have a clause in his contract that says if he brings the club into disrepute they can void the time left on his deal. 

Aye it all depends what’s in his contract I suppose and whether the Celtic board care enough about what he did. People have been sacked from football clubs or at least ostracised and forced to train with youth players for less. Fighting on the training ground or calling the manager a prick etc. 

Put it this way if it happened a few weeks ago there’s no way he’d have been given a contract extension.

We’ll see what happens over the next couple of weeks I suppose. 

52 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Signing players from the Man City and PSG academies is one thing but they're being linked with a boy from Watford! It's a bit of a kick in the chookies for lads from their own academy trying to make it.

It's a pathetic lack of imagination. They are relying on PSG and Man City to recruit and develop youth for them. I hear Postecoglou likes to promote youth, so hopefully that bears fruit. Whether he is allowed to put his own stamp on the squad is another question though.

Defender Luis Binks has had his loan at Montreal cut short to be part of the Bologna first team this coming season. Has played for both us and England at youth level and last summer said he's unsure where his future allegiances lie.
Hopefully his team mate Hickey can have a word. 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Defender Luis Binks has had his loan at Montreal cut short to be part of the Bologna first team this coming season. Has played for both us and England at youth level and last summer said he's unsure where his future allegiances lie.

In a few years once it's clear he's not going to make it with England(odds are he won't) then he can decide he's wants to play for us like che Adams. 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

I remember his dad well. 

D4DF9C3E-B3B4-4DE5-A698-E6B3F61881B5.webp

Edited by Texas Pete

13 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

It's a pathetic lack of imagination. They are relying on PSG and Man City to recruit and develop youth for them. I hear Postecoglou likes to promote youth, so hopefully that bears fruit. Whether he is allowed to put his own stamp on the squad is another question though.

I'll give Celtic some credit, they have produced a fair few players of their own that have made it to their first team and become regulars with the national team in recent years - like Maloney, Marshall, McManus, Forrest, McGregor, Tierney off the top of my head - but parachuting largely untested lads from other teams' academies straight into their first team must stick in the craw of those of who have been there and working hard for ages.

13 hours ago, csinclair said:

I was reading a wee bit about him yesterday - a 19 year-old 6'3" centre-half, came through the Spurs youth system, quite a few games under his belt in the already MLS - if Bologna see something in him (and the Italians know a thing or two about defending) then he's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I'll give Celtic some credit, they have produced a fair few players of their own that have made it to their first team and become regulars with the national team in recent years - like Maloney, Marshall, McManus, Forrest, McGregor, Tierney off the top of my head - but parachuting largely untested lads from other teams' academies straight into their first team must stick in the craw of those of who have been there and working hard for ages.

Celtic do produce a huge amount of talent, probably the most in the last 10 years, actually. But I am incredibly thankful that Lennon is no longer in charge. The only youth player he has brought through at Celtic was Forrest, 11 years ago. You could argue Welsh as well, but that was pretty much forced upon him due to injuries and the inability of the other CBs. No disrespect to Welsh, but he doesn't look on the same level as our other CBs.

If I remember correctly, Lennon pretty much pushed Maloney out the door at Celtic. 

Edited by Tartan blood

15 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It looks like the rumour Gauld is going to Canada is real. Incredibly disappointed if he goes there. I can see no reason he'd go there at this point in his career for anything other than money. He's no chance of playing for Scotland now.

Yes, Scotland career finished. 9 hour flight minimum, no way he’ll be picked. 

On 7/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, csinclair said:

Ryan Christie linked with a big money move to Al Hilal. I'd be pretty disappointed if he went there tbh.

Hopefully not. If there's anything in the links with Monaco, Nice and Sampdoria (or even Crystal Palace!) then he'd be mad to go there.

26 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It looks like the rumour Gauld is going to Canada is real. Incredibly disappointed if he goes there. I can see no reason he'd go there at this point in his career for anything other than money. He's no chance of playing for Scotland now.

If he does that he's basically saying he's not bothered about playing international football. It would enhance his bank balance but little else. Even going to Celtic or Rangers would be preferable to going there.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Huge step backwards for Gauld. Living here, the quality of football is shite, cant understand this move for the life of me...

37 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, Scotland career finished. 9 hour flight minimum, no way he’ll be picked. 

Especially during times of Covid. 

23 minutes ago, scotlad said:

If he does that he's basically saying he's not bothered about playing international football. It would enhance his bank balance but little else. Even going to Celtic or Rangers would be preferable to going there.

I wonder if he looked at the fact that Clarke took 6 attacking midfielders to the Euros and really only used McGinn and Armstrong. So, not only would Gauld need to break into the squad, he would then need to get ahead of Forrest, Fraser, Christie and Turnbull and he still might not play. I don't agree with this defeatist attitude, but I could at least understand it. We shamefully under-utilised our attacking midfielders at the Euros.

Would be disappointed to see gauld go to the mls. Its not a great place for a player in terms of playing for scotland. Surely there must be other offers on the way table. Some of the big championship clubs or lower epl clubs would surely offer 15/20k a week to gauld. 

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Would be disappointed to see gauld go to the mls. Its not a great place for a player in terms of playing for scotland. Surely there must be other offers on the way table. Some of the big championship clubs or lower epl clubs would surely offer 15/20k a week to gauld. 

Rumour is 40k a week over there, if any one would take half that for a chance to play for Scotland is off their head. 

He is good but are those sort of wages common in the states or indeed anywere. 

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Rumour is 40k a week over there, if any one would take half that for a chance to play for Scotland is off their head. 

He is good but are those sort of wages common in the states or indeed anywere. 

I think I would rather 20k in england/scotland and play for the scotland team rather than 40k in the States but very little chance of scotland opportunities. I know double pay is alot but 20k is still life changing money plus I think he was already on a big wage at sporting so he's bound to have made a fair bit already. 

Surely celtic or rangers could offer him 20k a week plus a hefty signing on fee that would make up some of the shortfall. 

Not sure what wages are like in the states but I am guessing gauld will be one of their top earners. 

28 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think I would rather 20k in england/scotland and play for the scotland team rather than 40k in the States but very little chance of scotland opportunities. I know double pay is alot but 20k is still life changing money plus I think he was already on a big wage at sporting so he's bound to have made a fair bit already. 

Surely celtic or rangers could offer him 20k a week plus a hefty signing on fee that would make up some of the shortfall. 

Not sure what wages are like in the states but I am guessing gauld will be one of their top earners. 

I know a lot of unforseen twists can happen in a player's career, like a  debilitating injury, loss of confidence/form etc but you'd think that the opportunity to go to the MLS would still be there a few years from now, regardless of what he does this season.

He's maybe still a bit scarred by how it worked out at Sporting Lisbon, and knows how easy it is to flip from prodigy to nobody overnight. But even, say, £15k at Celtic is life chamging.

Canada seems like such an odd choice no matter how you look at it. Plus, £40k might end up being his maximum over there. He could double that if he became a success in England or one of the other big leagues. A serious lack of personal ambition.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Johnny Russell has been in a few squads when playing in that league so I’m not sure where you’re getting “no chance” from.

If he goes over there and plays well he’ll still have a chance of getting picked. 

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Hopefully not. If there's anything in the links with Monaco, Nice and Sampdoria (or even Crystal Palace!) then he'd be mad to go there.

Sad fact is some players don’t really care about international football. Lots of players don’t consider their international prospects when choosing which club to play for.