Scottish player transfers - Page 131 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

On 6/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

This will be an interesting experience for many of us - the first time in living memory that our players are in that kind of shop window. Every tournament brings a flurry of transfers (at least, anecdotally, it seems to me it does) for players who perform well. Might we see a few of our players picked up off the back of it?

For sure but it also worries me for another reason.

If we make a good impression at the Euros I see clubs circling to poach Steve Clarke.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

For sure but it also worries me for another reason.

If we make a good impression at the Euros I see clubs circling to poach Steve Clarke.

I think that’s unavoidable I’m afraid and the price of success. 

I would rather do very well at this tournament and risk losing Clarke than go out at the group stage. 

Hopefully we do well and any offers Clarke receives don’t tempt him but whatever happens happens. If we do fantastically well at this tournament and Clarke gets offered a top job then good luck to him. We should at least be able to tempt a high calibre manager to replace him as the job wouldn’t be the poisoned chalice it has been of late. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I would rather do very well at this tournament and risk losing Clarke than go out at the group stage. 

Hopefully we do well and any offers Clarke receives don’t tempt him but whatever happens happens. If we do fantastically well at this tournament and Clarke gets offered a top job then good luck to him. We should at least be able to tempt a high calibre manager to replace him as the job wouldn’t be the poisoned chalice it has been of late. 

Could also be the case that we do well, Clarke gets offers but wants to finish the job he started, especially if , like many on this forum, he sees a brilliant group of youngsters coming through. 

Seriously, what is the highest Clarke would be touted for, lower PL club, championship or Celtic.  Might want to stay for at least a shot for WC 2022. 

Money could talk however.

3 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Could also be the case that we do well, Clarke gets offers but wants to finish the job he started, especially if , like many on this forum, he sees a brilliant group of youngsters coming through. 

Seriously, what is the highest Clarke would be touted for, lower PL club, championship or Celtic.  Might want to stay for at least a shot for WC 2022. 

Money could talk however.

Absolutely. I doubt Clarke would leave the Scotland job for any job in Scotland. He prefers living down south so would be looking for a job I the EPL I think. 

If we do well this month and he’s tempted away by a mid table EPL club then so be it but I think it would need to be a decent club and good offer to tempt him. 

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely. Not to take anything away from Clarke, but he probably can't believe his luck with the squad of players he has at his disposal. Even comparing to just 1 year ago we have come on leapsband bounds.

Regardless of what happens at this Euros, I think there would be plenty of managers lining up to take over as boss.

Plus if you think about chris Coleman who got wales to semis in 16 and o'Neill at ni last 16 they never got so called big offers. Clubs are not stupid and 3 or 4 gd games does not guarantee success

Big clubs more often than not look for someone who has kudos to know he can handle big stars.

Saying that I hope after euros all the big english clubs are in for him as it will mean hes done exceptional. 

We are bubbling along nicely and most games we will play will be 50,/50. Desire and a wee bit of luck plus skill we have in abundance could ensure a memorable time.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:42 AM, syecosse said:

Flynn Clarke looks likely to be going to Norwich from Peterborough. 

18 year old with 3 goals in 6 first team games sounds promising, we will no doubt end up fighting England & Ireland for his services if he makes it. 

1 minute ago, theabsentee said:

18 year old with 3 goals in 6 first team games sounds promising, we will no doubt end up fighting England & Ireland for his services if he makes it. 

Well at least we are higher up the pecking order as Ireland right now are far less appealing than they were a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well at least we are higher up the pecking order as Ireland right now are far less appealing than they were a few years ago.

I'm actually shocked at just how far they have fallen. Looking at their squad the other night, I don't think a single one of them would make our squad. Coleman, but he didn't seem to be involved. 

No disrespect to them, but it's our bloody turn! 

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm actually shocked at just how far they have fallen. Looking at their squad the other night, I don't think a single one of them would make our squad. Coleman, but he didn't seem to be involved. 

Shows you how quickly things can change. We were all heartbroken in 2016 when we were the only home nation (plus Ireland) not to make it to France and now Ireland and NI look to be on the way down and hopefully we are on the way up. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Shows you how quickly things can change. We were all heartbroken in 2016 when we were the only home nation (plus Ireland) not to make it to France and now Ireland and NI look to be on the way down and hopefully we are on the way up. 

I would not bracket Northern Ireland with Ireland. Remember Northern Ireland missed out on the Euros in a penalty shoot-out. Also they are off to a better start than Ireland in WCQ.

Got to admit ROi have irked me for years. Probably cause we are so similar in terms of pretty much everything. I’d love to play them again in a playoff or qualifier and really outclass them, not much would give me more joy in terms of being a Scotland supporter. 

We’re in a really good place so it seems at the mo and they really not so. We’ve really got to capitalise on this and cement are quality and really get ahead of them. Get these performance school players progressing - a nice conveyor belt of talent a streaming through/golden generation can’t come soon enough.

Not so worried about Ni on the other hand, they are just going to be down more than they’re up, purely on smaller pool.

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Lewis Ferguson to Newcastle? not sure if it's been mentioned on here.

Can he cut it at that level? For a mid table EPL club? 

That’s the sort of club Billy Gilmour should go on loan too & you’d put Gilmour miles ahead of Ferguson. 

Edited by ProudScot

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would not bracket Northern Ireland with Ireland. Remember Northern Ireland missed out on the Euros in a penalty shoot-out. Also they are off to a better start than Ireland in WCQ.

NI have 1 point more than ROI in WCQ and have just won their first game in 12 attempts. 

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I still place them above Ireland for sure.

I don’t have any strong thoughts on who is the better team but 1 win in 12 is terrible form and not qualifying for a tournament you qualified for and did very well in the last time it was held would suggest a decline. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t have any strong thoughts on who is the better team but 1 win in 12 is terrible form and not qualifying for a tournament you qualified for and did very well in the last time it was held would suggest a decline. 

Missed out on qualification in a penalty shoot-out of the play-offs. Granted they have dipped though.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Missed out on qualification in a penalty shoot-out of the play-offs. Granted they have dipped though.

Maybe but they were only in those playoffs because of their earlier good form. 

They were outclassed and relegated in the Nations League. 

Put it this way if we played them now I would expect to beat them fairly comfortably. We would have lost to them 5 years ago or maybe even 2 or 3. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went back to being a pot 5 or 6 team on the next couple of years. 

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

matt doherty, egan, maybe dara o shea. mcgoldrick ,coleman and that connolly kid at brighton would certainly get in our squads but they werent involved last night.

51 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

matt doherty, egan, maybe dara o shea. mcgoldrick ,coleman and that connolly kid at brighton would certainly get in our squads but they werent involved last night.

I'll defer to your better judgement, as I'm not too familiar with those guys. But the fact it's only a handful speaks volumes. The reverse would have been true only a few years ago.

57 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Take the right backs ( but then we find Paterson is better)  but I don't think the others are better than what we have.

Don't know who their keepers are these days but if they don't have any better than ours they really are in trouble.

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Take the right backs ( but then we find Paterson is better)  but I don't think the others are better than what we have.

Don't know who their keepers are these days but if they don't have any better than ours they really are in trouble.

John egan would be in our squad easily, he was part of the sheffield united team that finished top half the season before last plus anytime i have watched sheff united this season hes been pretty decent and hasnt really been one of the main problems with sheffield united this season. relying on a strike force of mcgoldrick, mcburnie and burke is one of their main problems this season. aaron connolly would be in our squad for sure as well, hes been impressive in the epl at the age of 19/20 which is a rarity for both nations. mcgoldrick would probably feature as well, he scored 8 league goals this season which is 1 less than che adams and that was for a struggling team that finished last.

Also patterson will be doing extremely well to replicate coleman or doherty, both players are top right backs and could play at top 6 english clubs. we dont even know if patterson is good enough for rangers yet.