Scottish player transfers - Page 130 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Having seen the relative success of Tierney and McGinn down there he might be seen as a bit of a no brainer for clubs.  He's arguably a better match winner than both of those put together (obviously KT being a defender) and these players are worth their weight in gold and at still only 21 he must be on the radar of a lot of clubs. I'd imagine he himself wants to stay at Celtic at the mo but as some alluded to, a good performance at the euros might ramp it up and a big money move comes in that Celtic can't turn down.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's now AC Milan, Aston Villa, Leeds and Club Brugge linked with Josh Doig.

I'll get my first view of him on Saturday. If he is as good as he's been touted, he should probably be ahead of Greg Taylor for the Euros.

Club Brugge would be quite an interesting move.

Ac Milan have Theo Hernandez who is an excellent LB. While I'd like our young players to move abroad, I don't think that is the best move.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

surely hibs couldnt turn down 4m.

If they win the Scottish cup they will make £3-5 million bare minimum from Europe next year.

That would save them needing to sell and would put Doig, Porteous and Nesbitt on a much bigger platform. If they stay and put in big performances in the group stages that could add more  value to them.

From what I understand the £4 million is going to be mostly performance based. With £2.5 million upfront.

37 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

If they win the Scottish cup they will make £3-5 million bare minimum from Europe next year.

That would save them needing to sell and would put Doig, Porteous and Nesbitt on a much bigger platform. If they stay and put in big performances in the group stages that could add more  value to them.

From what I understand the £4 million is going to be mostly performance based. With £2.5 million upfront.

Do they qualify directly for the group stages? Non-OF teams tend to get horsed in the qualifiers, and indeed, pre-qualifiers. 

56 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Do they qualify directly for the group stages? Non-OF teams tend to get horsed in the qualifiers, and indeed, pre-qualifiers. 

Due to the recent European runs, we are up to the point where the Scottish Cup winner goes into the Europa League playoff.

Win they are in the Europa League GS (£5 mil), lose they are in the Conference league GS (£3 mil).

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Club Brugge would be quite an interesting move.

Ac Milan have Theo Hernandez who is an excellent LB. While I'd like our young players to move abroad, I don't think that is the best move.

It would be. Bates and Hendry are doing well in Belgium, so it might open the floodgates a little bit.

Agreed. If it was to move to AC Milan and be a starter, it would be incredible, but as you say, Hernandez is a top player. Just shows how strong France are that he hasn't even been capped. 

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

On Lewis Ferguson his agent has said it wasn't even a £2 million bid, it was a £1.2 million bid.

No wonder Aberdeen felt insulted. 

A 21 year old who's played probably over 100 games at a decent level and won YPOTY the season before and Watford think he's only worth just over £1 million. They are taking the piss.

And he's got three years left on his contract.

It's an insulting bud. 

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

On Lewis Ferguson his agent has said it wasn't even a £2 million bid, it was a £1.2 million bid.

No wonder Aberdeen felt insulted. 

A 21 year old who's played probably over 100 games at a decent level and won YPOTY the season before and Watford think he's only worth just over £1 million. They are taking the piss.

As I said on another post, winning YPOTY is actually a pretty good guage for future success. He won the writers award, rather than the player's player award, but the list of winners still makes for good reading e.g Stephen Fletcher, Ryan Christie, Kieran Tierney, Stuart Armstrong, James Forrest, Scott Brown, Craig Gordon, Stephen Naismith. Aberdeen should point to that when negotiating.

Obviously there are exceptions, like Goodwillie, Stevie May, Danny Wilson. But, in general, winning that award is a bloody good sign. Lewis Ferguson and Josh Doig have won it most recently, as has David Turnbull.

Edited by Tartan blood

Dundee United's current youth set up seems to be working very well. They altered it a few years ago and seem to have lots of promising youngsters 16-19 in and around the squad at the minute.

The worrying thing is due to Brexit I can see lots of our young players leaving far too early and heading to English youth teams at 16-18, taking the places of the foreign young players that can no longer come over at youth level.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

23 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Dundee United's current youth set up seems to be working very well. They altered it a few years ago and seem to have lots of promising youngsters 16-19 in and around the squad at the minute.

The worrying thing is due to Brexit I can see lots of our young players leaving far too early and heading to English youth teams at 16-18, taking the places of the foreign young players that can no longer come over at youth level.

That could potentially be bad for our domestic game but good for our national team, as the youngsters will be training using better facilities and working with generally better coaches.  That is, assuming that Brexit doesn't have an effect on the standard of coach English clubs are able to employ.  :unsure: 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

That could potentially be bad for our domestic game but good for our national team, as the youngsters will be training using better facilities and working with generally better coaches.  That is, assuming that Brexit doesn't have an effect on the standard of coach English clubs are able to employ.  :unsure: 

I doubt it will have much effect on the coaching level. Most of the coaches who come over are top level and I doubt much will change in that regard. It will probably be harder for young foreign coaches without much experience or badges but I doubt that effects the overall level of coaching much. 

An interesting one. Newcastle want Gilmour and Tammy Abraham.

Chelsea want £40m for Abraham but they don't want to sell Gilmour. 

Wonder how much Chelsea would consider. Certainly more than £50m.

A more realistically target: Newcastle want Kyle Joseph. 

On 5/21/2021 at 10:39 AM, JECK said:

Having seen the relative success of Tierney and McGinn down there he might be seen as a bit of a no brainer for clubs.  He's arguably a better match winner than both of those put together (obviously KT being a defender) and these players are worth their weight in gold and at still only 21 he must be on the radar of a lot of clubs. I'd imagine he himself wants to stay at Celtic at the mo but as some alluded to, a good performance at the euros might ramp it up and a big money move comes in that Celtic can't turn down.

This will be an interesting experience for many of us - the first time in living memory that our players are in that kind of shop window. Every tournament brings a flurry of transfers (at least, anecdotally, it seems to me it does) for players who perform well. Might we see a few of our players picked up off the back of it?

6 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Oostende exercised their £1.7 million option on Jack Hendry. They'll be buying him then immediately selling for profit.

Leeds are apparently very interested at £10 million.

i thought he was excellent tonight, bielsa is an excellent coach plus he could play alongside cooper building a great relationship.

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

i thought he was excellent tonight, bielsa is an excellent coach plus he could play alongside cooper building a great relationship.

Yeah I liked the look of the defence until all the subs. All Quick and good on the ball.

Hendry has massively improved in these past couple of years. He seems to have put a lot of muscle on this year aswell.

While I'd prefer Hendry to stay abroad, as I think he suits playing in a less physical league, I think he'd suit the bundesliga well. If he does go to the EPL, then Leeds under a manager like Bielsa could be a good move.

Bielsa is known for getting the best out of players and taking them to a new level.