Scottish player transfers - Page 129 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Norwich would be a better move IMO but whether he is ready for the PL? Only one way to find out. If not then not going to impact the national team in the short term as well covered in that area. If he steps up and thrives in the PL then we are quids in.

34 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Josh Doig linked to Watford.

Could be a double Scottish swoop by Watford with Doig And Ferguson. 

Basket case of a club but they just released their LB and their other Lb (Masina) is injury prone and doesn't manage more than 20/30 appearances a season. Would probably be Doig's best chance to become a starter (maybe not straight away).

15 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Basket case of a club but they just released their LB and their other Lb (Masina) is injury prone and doesn't manage more than 20/30 appearances a season. Would probably be Doig's best chance to become a starter (maybe not straight away).

They really are.

With the turnover of managers, etc, they're Chelsea lite.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

David Turnbull linked to £7m move to Aston Villa.

It would be a good move for him And would help us if he is playing weekly with McGinn in CM at a higher level than he is now.

While Celtic need money for their massive rebuild, I don't see them selling Turnbull. Especially not at that laughably low price. 

£12-15 million and I think Celtic would maybe see it as a good fee that could massively help their rebuild, especially when he has only really featured for half a season.

28 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It would be a good move for him And would help us if he is playing weekly with McGinn in CM at a higher level than he is now.

While Celtic need money for their massive rebuild, I don't see them selling Turnbull. Especially not at that laughably low price. 

£12-15 million and I think Celtic would maybe see it as a good fee that could massively help their rebuild, especially when he has only really featured for half a season.

£12-15 million? I’ll crack the jokes. 

Celtic bought him for £3.25 million 9 months ago. 

This thread is priceless. 

More than doubling your money in 9 months on a youngster playing for Celtic (with a bad injury record, and after the season they've had) is laughable? 

Even if he's been Celtic's best player this season, that's not really saying much. Meantime another youngster, the best player at another top end SPL club (but outside the old firm) isn't worth 1/3 of this laughable amount?

They've both got a lot of potential, so both clubs should only sell for an amount they're more than happy with, and only if the player wants to leave. There's no way that Turnbull is more than twice the player that Ferguson is though.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Yeah. I'd say so. We've all seen how easy the transition has been with McGinn. I'd say it would probably be the same with Turnbull.

Everytime that I've seen him he honestly reminds me of a young Gary McAllister. And who knows, he might end up at a giant like Liverpool. 

Agreed. They should definitely hold out for at least £10m. McGinn went from a £2.8m player to a £30m player overnight. 

The money they splash around in England is insane. Other countries take advantage of this (Fred for £48m!?!?!?!?!), so should our clubs.

(With Lewis Ferguson, he still has 3 years on his contract, so hopefully Aberdeen hold out for as much as possible. Personally, I hope Aberdeen get £10m+...unlikely, but stranger things have happened)

57 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Everytime that I've seen him he honestly reminds me of a young Gary McAllister. And who knows, he might end up at a giant like Liverpool. 

Leeds, even more so, actually.

Have a soft spot for Leeds as they were a great team when I was growing up. Shows what a fantastic team Rangers were, beating the home and away... with 9 Scots, no less.

How times have changed.

1 hour ago, COLT NY said:

This thread is priceless. 

More than doubling your money in 9 months on a youngster playing for Celtic (with a bad injury record, and after the season they've had) is laughable? 

Even if he's been Celtic's best player this season, that's not really saying much. Meantime another youngster, the best player at another top end SPL club (but outside the old firm) isn't worth 1/3 of this laughable amount?

They've both got a lot of potential, so both clubs should only sell for an amount they're more than happy with, and only if the player wants to leave. There's no way that Turnbull is more than twice the player that Ferguson is though.

Celtic and Aberdeen are in completely different realms in terms of transfer fees. Celtic sold Kouassi for similar to what Aberdeen sold Cosgrove for. The club, the players wage, are they a full international and the clubs financial position all play a part in a transfer fee. It's not as simple as ohh he's as good as he is.

It's just the reality of things. Smaller clubs in a lesser league won't get the fees of the big clubs of that league. It's not just Scotland, it every lesser league about. No matter how good the player is.

And yes Turnbull is currently a superior player to Ferguson. Though they are completely different players and who knows Ferguson may one day surpass him. There is a reason Turnbull is in the Scotland squad and Ferguson's name never got mentioned. 

FYI I'm not a Celtic fan, but £7 million from an EPL team is laughable. Just like I think £2 million for Ferguson is even more laughable. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don't think he is worth £15 million but I highly doubt Celtic would even consider selling him without getting a fee around that level.

Celtic just made £11 million on a RB who couldn't defend or cross. They are very, very good at getting large transfer fees for their players.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I don't think he is worth £15 million but I highly doubt Celtic would even consider selling him without getting a fee around that level.

Celtic just made £11 million on a RB who couldn't defend or cross. They are very, very good at getting large transfer fees for their players.

They won’t be offered that sort of money until he achieves something with Celtic. The fact that he has been anonymous in Old Firm games (not necessarily his fault) won’t have added to his value either. 

Celtic won’t want to sell him at all just now I don’t think. 

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Presumably Motherwell have a sell on clause.

Cant see this one being a goer unless Celtic really botch up their managerial appointment. Turnbull would probably want to stay another year or two. I think he already turned Norwich down before going to Parkhead.

More likely Christie will leave and Turnbull becomes automatic choice in midfield regardless of who the new manager brings in.

But if Turnbull a good Euros and maybe a few bigger clubs might come in with a "cant turn down" offer

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Presumably Motherwell have a sell on clause.

Cant see this one being a goer unless Celtic really botch up their managerial appointment. Turnbull would probably want to stay another year or two. I think he already turned Norwich down before going to Parkhead.

More likely Christie will leave and Turnbull becomes automatic choice in midfield regardless of who the new manager brings in.

But if Turnbull a good Euros and maybe a few bigger clubs might come in with a "cant turn down" offer

With their wage bill and lack of champions league money Celtic will need money for their rebuild.

That being said the figures quoted for Turnbull are not realistic. 

Turnbull is worth more to Celtic than he would realistically fetch in the market. Even if a club did bid 9 million which is probably about what he is worth, Celtic need to keep him because he is one of the few shining lights of this season and they already need to bring in so many players.

More realistic Christie leaves.

15 minutes ago, JECK said:

This is just the beginning of probably a fair bit of interest from down south in now a fully fit Turnbull, much as I suspected. 

He’s only been at Celtic for five minutes. He won’t be going anywhere unless the new manager doesn’t fancy him. 

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s only been at Celtic for five minutes. He won’t be going anywhere unless the new manager doesn’t fancy him. 

Exactly. I'm sure Celtic have an unwritten rule that any signings need to stay for at least 2 years before being sold e.g Wanyama, Van Dijk, Dembele. That is partially to boost their value more, but also to appease the fans. 

It's more than that with Turnbull, though. Celtic will know his potential. He might be an under £10m player now. But if he scores a freekick vs England then double it. Then 1 more good season under a competent manager, and decent players around him, he'll be going for Tierney money. It would be bad business to sell him now.