Scottish player transfers - Page 120 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

23 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Zak Jules being linked with Cardiff and Blackburn. Left Reading a couple of years and is now in League 2 and doing very well. He's only 23, so hopefully he can get a move to the championship and continue his development. We need all the Cb's we can get.

Zak Jules seems to have turned his career around. I remember him at the u17 Euro's and he was literally only there for his pace and strength. From what I've read he's developed the technical side of his game and turned into a half decent ball playing defender.

One of the worst players I've ever seen in the flesh.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Another left-back :lol:

Soon we will have 2 world class left backs, a couple of solid premier league standard left backs, some up and coming good left backs who we can call on when short & some SPL left back options. 

And Nathan Patterson for right back. 

43 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Soon we will have 2 world class left backs, a couple of solid premier league standard left backs, some up and coming good left backs who we can call on when short & some SPL left back options. 

And Nathan Patterson for right back. 

And eventually maybe Lewis Neilson for right back too. And Harrison Ashby. Not all gloom.

38 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

And eventually maybe Lewis Neilson for right back too. And Harrison Ashby. Not all gloom.

Indeed. This is the most positive we can be about the national team since probably the 90s.

Is Lewis Neilson capable of progressing to international level? Haven’t seen him play before. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Indeed. This is the most positive we can be about the national team since probably the 90s.

Is Lewis Neilson capable of progressing to international level? Haven’t seen him play before. 

Only seen him  play a wee bit but he's highly thought of - performance school graduate I believe.

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I totally agree but you just know that if Marshall hadn't saved that penalty and Serbia went through, everyone would be saying we're shite and there's no youngsters coming through. Even though we'd still be in the same situation, player wise.  Nothing more fickle than a Scotland fan 😁

Edited by todd

2 hours ago, todd said:

I totally agree but you just know that if Marshall hadn't saved that penalty and Serbia went through, everyone would be saying we're shite and there's no youngsters coming through. Even though we'd still be in the same situation, player wise.  Nothing more fickle than a Scotland fan 😁

He did though! Phew 

11 hours ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

One of the worst players I've ever seen in the flesh.

Zac Jules now there's a player i never thought we would be desperate enough to mention on here again. I read the Walsall forum & the fans rate him  highly, apparently as well as being big & strong he is lightning quick. He has been playing left back a lot for them so he is decent on the ball also.

Fair play to him, maybe it was a confidence issue earlier in his career & playing regular football has transformed him. Doubt he will reach the level required but you never know with those attributes. 

I see another centre back often mentioned here Tom McIntyre is having a good game for Reading tonight, a assist & goal so far 👍

13 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Some interesting possibilities/rumours today. Nisbet and Porteous linked to English Championship. Interesting to see clubs sniffing round Scottish players which I think is an indication that Scottish football's reputation is improving.

Is it? 

Mediocre English championships clubs have always bought up decent spl players. Infact I would say that the quality of English clubs poaching talent from spl clubs is getting worse. 

Edited by mccaughey85

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is it? 

Mediocre English championships clubs have always bought up decent spl players. Infact I would say that the quality of English clubs poaching talent from spl clubs is getting worse. 

Nonsense.

Theres far more Scottish players, especially young players, going to better English clubs now than there has been since the 90s. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Nonsense.

Theres far more Scottish players, especially young players, going to better English clubs now than there has been since the 90s. 

Like who? 

None of the young spl players go straight to epl clubs anymore. Most go to English Championship clubs first.

And I am not talking about some 18 year old who gets signed up to sit in an epl youth set up like Scott Banks. I am talking about guys who go to English clubs to play first team football like Mcginn and mckenna have. 

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Like who? 

None of the young spl players go straight to epl clubs anymore. Most go to English Championship clubs first.

And I am not talking about some 18 year old who gets signed up to sit in an epl youth set up like Scott Banks. I am talking about guys who go to English clubs to play first team football like Mcginn and mckenna have. 

Taking the youth players aside, of which there are now many & far more than any other point in our generation, there currently is;

Tierney, Armstrong, McGinn, Gilmour, Robertson.

Theres also guys like Fraser, Fleck, McBurnie etc who’ve gone to England then been signed by teams in the premier league or about to be promoted to it. 

You’ve also got Hickey signed by a Serie A club and playing regularly.

Gauld signed by a Portuguese top flight club & starring.

Bayern Munich taking some of our best young players.

Everything is a step up from the last period for us and a lot more positive. 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Taking the youth players aside, of which there are now many & far more than any other point in our generation, there currently is;

Tierney, Armstrong, McGinn, Gilmour, Robertson.

Theres also guys like Fraser, Fleck, McBurnie etc who’ve gone to England then been signed by teams in the premier league or about to be promoted to it. 

You’ve also got Hickey signed by a Serie A club and playing regularly.

Gauld signed by a Portuguese top flight club & starring.

Bayern Munich taking some of our best young players.

Everything is a step up from the last period for us and a lot more positive. 

Well first of all I was talking about non old firm players. 

Gilmour went to Chelseas youth system and never played an spl game. He's not an example. 

Robertsons nearly 7 years ago. Are we going back that far? 

Fraser went to Bournemouth in the 3rd tier. Don't know why you think he's an example. Same with fleck. 

McBurnie was never an spl player!! 

Hickey went to serie a, we are talking about English clubs here. Same with Gauld. Gauld was about 8 years ago as well. 

As I said we are not discussing youngsters going to epl/big clubs to sit in their youth set ups like Hepburn or morrison have. 

I am pretty sure the only non old firm spl player in recent times to go straight to an epl club is Robertson and that was nearly 7 years ago. 

If you compare that to the 90s or early noughties where you had guys like Webster, naysmith, weir, jess, Ritchie, Gordon, gallacher etc going to epl clubs from non old firm spl clubs then it's not good reading for the quality of top flight Scottish football. 

Even if you were to include the old firm then there would be only Armstrong and Tierney in the last 5 years. 

The cold facts are non old firm spl Scottish players are not getting bought by epl clubs anymore. They get bought by English championship clubs because they are deemed not  good enough to go straight to the epl. 

Following on from that last post I can only think of 5 Scottish spl players who have gone from the spl to epl teams in the last 10 years. That's players who went to the epl with the prospect of playing first team football. 

Those players are mcarthur, robertson, goodwillie, Armstrong and Tierney. 

Maybe there's more but I can't think of them. 

To me that shows that in the last 10 years epl clubs despite their incredible wealth have chosen not to buy Scottish players from the spl which is not a good sign considering spl players are peanuts for these clubs. 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Following on from that last post I can only think of 5 Scottish spl players who have gone from the spl to epl teams in the last 10 years. That's players who went to the epl with the prospect of playing first team football. 

Those players are mcarthur, robertson, goodwillie, Armstrong and Tierney. 

Maybe there's more but I can't think of them. 

To me that shows that in the last 10 years epl clubs despite their incredible wealth have chosen not to buy Scottish players from the spl which is not a good sign considering spl players are peanuts for these clubs. 

too much risk.   Why buy from a player when he is unproven in a diddy league. They would need to be a stand out on a consistent basis and doing it in Europe.

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well first of all I was talking about non old firm players. 

Gilmour went to Chelseas youth system and never played an spl game. He's not an example. 

Robertsons nearly 7 years ago. Are we going back that far? 

Fraser went to Bournemouth in the 3rd tier. Don't know why you think he's an example. Same with fleck. 

McBurnie was never an spl player!! 

Hickey went to serie a, we are talking about English clubs here. Same with Gauld. Gauld was about 8 years ago as well. 

As I said we are not discussing youngsters going to epl/big clubs to sit in their youth set ups like Hepburn or morrison have. 

I am pretty sure the only non old firm spl player in recent times to go straight to an epl club is Robertson and that was nearly 7 years ago. 

If you compare that to the 90s or early noughties where you had guys like Webster, naysmith, weir, jess, Ritchie, Gordon, gallacher etc going to epl clubs from non old firm spl clubs then it's not good reading for the quality of top flight Scottish football. 

Even if you were to include the old firm then there would be only Armstrong and Tierney in the last 5 years. 

The cold facts are non old firm spl Scottish players are not getting bought by epl clubs anymore. They get bought by English championship clubs because they are deemed not  good enough to go straight to the epl. 

There’s more forgot James McArthur too.

Theres far more now than there has been for a long time.

You’re ‘points’ are drawn out, over explained and not accurate 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

There’s more forgot James McArthur too.

Theres far more now than there has been for a long time.

You’re ‘points’ are drawn out, over explained and not accurate 

My points are bang on the money. Its a fact that epl clubs will no longer buy from non old firm clubs. They deem the spl to be to far below the standard required. Its English championship clubs that now take an interest in spl players. 

I agree there is a few more Scottish epl players than maybe 5 or 6 years ago but most of these players got there through different pathways. Most never went from straight from spl clubs(barring celtic) to an epl club. 

Mcginn went to English champ, mcburnie came up from the English champ, same with fleck, cairney, Snodgrass, Cooper, Fraser,ritchie.

We have gilmour, mctominay and Bardsley who came through at epl clubs. Burke came from the bundesliga to the epl. 

Tierney and Armstrong came from celtic who have proven over last 9 years that they are way above the spl by the fact they won 4 trebles in a row. 

The 2 guys who went from the spl straight to the epl are robertson and mcarthur and both of those players did so over 7 years ago. 

Its a worrying trend for the future of the spl that smaller English championship and even league1 clubs can now poach whoever they want with from the spl with relative ease.