Scottish player transfers - Page 118 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

45 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. Click on my profile and read my past x amount of posts. You'll notice that I'm being stalked by the Joker.

I've seen a couple of his matches and he does look like he's been hitting the gym. I forgot how fast he was, too. 

He's playing in the middle of a back three with his club and he appears to be thriving.

I think the penny has dropped and he's maturing. Long may it continue as with his passing and pace, he could be the reason for pushing McTominay into midfield 

Agree with this 100%. 

47 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The games I watched while he was at celtic he played OK. Celtic were on a bad run when he was playing and he was the scapegoat but celtic were struggling for goals at that time and unfortunately the results weren't going very well whenever he played. 

I think it's great that he has found some form with oostende and he's still only 25 so he could develop into a decent centre back. 

However I know you didn't wish to start another debate about league standards but the Belgian league isn't that far ahead of the Scottish league and he's playing for an average team in that league. I think no one would dispute that Jack hendry could cut it at an average Scottish team like livi or kilmarnock so personally I am not getting too excited by his improved form as I always felt his level would be an average team in a relatively poor(compared to the top euro leagues) league like the Belgian or Scottish league. 

I would like to see him move to oostende permanently and get a good season or two under his belt. Then maybe move up a level. 

We are slipping into the debate. Currently, every team in the SPFL, bar Rangers, would get a hammering off just about any team in the Belgian league. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I can’t say I’ve been too impressed with him. He’s okay as a player, rather than a stand out. I think he’s only got 6 months left on his contract so Feyernord probably don’t want him. Edit : George Johnston that is. 

Maybe a Scottish team could give him a chance. Motherwell or Hamilton etc.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

We are slipping into the debate. Currently, every team in the SPFL, bar Rangers, would get a hammering off just about any team in the Belgian league. 

How can you be certain of that. Are you saying the bottom 3 belgian sides would defo beat Aberdeen or hibs. They maybe would but its difficult to tell. 

I agree that there is more strength in depth and overall their league is stronger but I don't understand why ppl on here think its massively better. Its marginally better imo. It's still a long way off the big euro leagues. 

18 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

100% this.

Gent, (who are currently 13th in the Oro League, and are 6 points from the relegation play off positions) have a current market value squad of £61.3m

If you take all four leagues in Scotland (excluding the Old Firm) and combine the value of each squad, the value wouldn't make half of Gent's squad value.

Ross County have accepted bid for their 18 year old right back Josh Reid.

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

How can you be certain of that. Are you saying the bottom 3 belgian sides would defo beat Aberdeen or hibs. They maybe would but its difficult to tell. 

I agree that there is more strength in depth and overall their league is stronger but I don't understand why ppl on here think its massively better. Its marginally better imo. It's still a long way off the big euro leagues. 

The Europa League results confirm the obvious. The SPFL is a very weak league. Belgium is churning out very high quality players who end up at the top clubs, the younger ones are still in Belgium and those that stay are still of a high quality. 

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The Europa League results confirm the obvious. The SPFL is a very weak league. Belgium is churning out very high quality players who end up at the top clubs, the younger ones are still in Belgium and those that stay are still of a high quality. 

Belgian teams don't do much better than spfl teams. Rangers beat standard liege twice recently and celtic have played europa and champions league for years. Celtic and Rangers have probably done as well as Belgian teams in Europe in recent years. Can you name the Belgian teams that do significantly better?

Quality players have come out of Scottish league as well like van dijk and Mcginn, tierney, robertson. Top players don't stay in scotland or Belgium very long as the league standard is poor. Also alot of the best Belgian talent is hoovered up by big European clubs at a young age so they never end up playing Belgian football. 

If the Belgian league was so good then why is it ranked at 9th and not 4th etc. 

The Belgian league is defo a stronger league but this idea that its alot stronger than Scotland is rubbish. A guy like Jack hendry wouldn't be doing really well in it if it was alot better. 

As I said the strength in depth is better but it's still not alot better than Scotland. Both leagues are miles off the top European leagues and Jack hendry doing well there for an average team doesn't mean he's destined for the top. 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Belgian teams don't do much better than spfl teams. Rangers beat standard liege twice recently and celtic have played europa and champions league for years. Celtic and Rangers have probably done as well as Belgian teams in Europe in recent years. Can you name the Belgian teams that do significantly better?

Quality players have come out of Scottish league as well like van dijk and Mcginn, tierney, robertson. Top players don't stay in scotland or Belgium very long as the league standard is poor. Also alot of the best Belgian talent is hoovered up by big European clubs at a young age so they never end up playing Belgian football. 

If the Belgian league was so good then why is it ranked at 9th and not 4th etc. 

The Belgian league is defo a stronger league but this idea that its alot stronger than Scotland is rubbish. A guy like Jack hendry wouldn't be doing really well in it if it was alot better. 

As I said the strength in depth is better but it's still not alot better than Scotland. Both leagues are miles off the top European leagues and Jack hendry doing well there for an average team doesn't mean he's destined for the top. 

I’m not for a minute suggesting the Belgian league is a top league, I’m suggesting it’s far stronger than the SPFL, excluding Rangers. 

21 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully good for Gilmour but could go either way. 

Strange sacking. 

More likely to be bad than good.  Lampard obviously rated Gilmour and as a manager generally trusted young players.   

That's been unusual for Chelsea managers over the last couple of decades and a new manager usually likes to bring in their own players.  The timing is interesting as its before the end of the transfer window, so maybe there's some transfers lined up as well.   If players come in then some might have to go out, there might not be space for him in the squad.

On the other hand, he qualifies as a home grown player but it really should all be about him getting as many minutes as possible.  You have to be aware of the level of the opposition but I though that he was a stand out yesterday, Abraham would rightly get the plaudits because of the hat trick, but I would've had Gilmour as MoM.  For me he should be a regular starter.

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

English football is so strange.

Why give a manager £200m+ million to buy players and then sack him a few months later? It makes no sense. Arteta will probably be next.

Scott Banks joins Dunfermline till the end of the season.

At a club like Chelsea and most major clubs, transfers are not the sole responsibility of the manager at the time.  Depending on the manager and the club, they may have a greater or lesser amount of involvement and input into those decisions.  At Chelsea, it is Marina Granovskia who has the final say.

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

At a club like Chelsea and most major clubs, transfers are not the sole responsibility of the manager at the time.  Depending on the manager and the club, they may have a greater or lesser amount of involvement and input into those decisions.  At Chelsea, it is Marina Granovskia who has the final say.

At Chelsea, i'd say that the Manager has very minimal input on transfers. Still, though, they must be aware that it takes time for players to settle and to gel.

This is where the Glazers at Manchester United should take credit. They could've pulled the trigger when United were mid table the EPL, but they didn't.

Thomas Tuchel appointed as Chelsea manager.

Playing under a German coach might be very helpful for Gilmour's development. He's reaching a point in his career now where you'd hope he'd start to become a regular starter for the first team, if he's going to become the player we hope he will be. Hopefully he gets his chance.

As for Lampard, I feel a bit sorry for him, but I'm sure he won't be short of job offers. Apparently he's already being linked with Celtic!

Best scenarios for Gilmour is he either plays for Chelsea under the new manager or gets a loan move where he will play. Worst scenario is he doesn't play much under the new manager. He clearly looks good enough to play for an epl club even at 19 so let's hope he gets that chance. 

Guy must be in the senior squad next set of games as he's clearly going to an important player for us. 

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully good for Gilmour but could go either way. 

Strange sacking. 

Its not really that strange, I am no fan of the EPL but even I know a chelsea manager lasts about 2 or 3 seasons at most if they are successful and their owner doesn't mind pulling the trigger if the club is off the pace. I had to check the table but they sit 9th in that league, thats a sackable offence in their owners eyes.