Scottish player transfers - Page 112 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

7 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Hickey and Kennedy should be in the Under 21s. So should Stuart McKinstry of Leeds.

Three 18-year-olds with great potential. Along with the kids at Man City and Bayern Munich. The more experience these kids get at international level, the better.

But we prefer to keep players in the under 21's who barely have a first team appearance between them by the time they turn 20 or are still at  smaller clubs which would suggest they might not be that good.

it's always been a problem the way we use our under 21 setup

11 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

This is a surprise. I didn't even realise Dapo had a brother who played. Is he any good? No, he's Dire. Ahem.Screenshot_20200929-194216_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6a8c13133f831b5b54b5c235ff55d5cc.jpg

An interesting question, should we be:

a. As excited as a youngster joining Bayern

b. Pleased that youngsters are picked up by big clubs but not as positive than if it was Bayern (man city Hoover these kids up and we never see them again. Or

c. Not even interested.

I do think the number of youngsters at the biggest clubs is positive.

It is definitely a positive! The only way we will consistently produce elite level players is if they are getting elite level coaching. Ok, every so often someone like Andy Robertson will be an exception, but the odds of following the Andy Robertson path to elite level are like winning the lottery. And when I say elite I mean the very top, playing Champions League football for a club capable of winning the Champions League. If one or two of these young lads can come through at these clubs then that would be fantastic! A lot won't make it at those clubs but will hopefully still filter down and make it at a good level. The best chance they have though of being elite, is learning from the best so I for one am delighted to see so many of our young players being snapped up by some of the biggest clubs in the world, and it's no coincidence this upturn in big clubs signing some of our best youngsters coincides with the opening of the Performance Schools that have produced a good few of these players. 

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

It's no coincidence this upturn in big clubs signing some of our best youngsters coincides with the opening of the Performance Schools that have produced a good few of these players. 

You’re right. It’s already obvious that we are producing better players at youth level. Billy Gilmour and his peers were the first year of Performance School players, so we haven’t yet seen them filter into the senior side and they are only poised to really start making an impact at U21s. We never had as many youngsters at big clubs before and many clubs are now looking much closer at homegrown Scottish talent. 

There are now five young Scots at Man City, two at Bayern Munich, Gilmour at Chelsea, and Hickey at Bologna, as examples. Hopefully, these lads will start making senior squads and strengthen the team within a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, RabtheBruce said:

You’re right. It’s already obvious that we are producing better players at youth level. Billy Gilmour and his peers were the first year of Performance School players, so we haven’t yet seen them filter into the senior side and they are only poised to really start making an impact at U21s. We never had as many youngsters at big clubs before and many clubs are now looking much closer at homegrown Scottish talent. 

There are now five young Scots at Man City, two at Bayern Munich, Gilmour at Chelsea, and Hickey at Bologna, as examples. Hopefully, these lads will start making senior squads and strengthen the team within a couple of years. 

100 percent mate, just look at the club's these guys are playing and training at, the environment they are in, they are learning every day from the best and about the level they need to get to to really make it. In years gone by too may of our youngsters thought the top level was playing for Celtic or Rangers and that's them made it. Although big clubs in their own right they are a million miles away from the absolute elite clubs. Our young players need to aspire to play for clubs such as Man City, Chelsea, Bayern Munich and to star in the Champions League.

On 9/23/2020 at 12:29 PM, Diamond Scot said:

How many Scots have moved direct to the Championship and become long term success?

I can remember lots of guys who many on here tipped to go to the Championship as a stepping stone but ultimately couldnt establish themselves. Guys like Liam Lindsay, Stevie May, Steven McLean, Barry McKay and Greame Shinnie etc

Trying to think of anybody other than Fraiser, Adam, McGinn and possibly McLean. 

I think the step up is much more than people think. Yes there are some rubbish players in the Championship however most teams have much more quality and certainly strength in depth than anybody outside the Old Firm. 

Craig Bryson, Craig Forsyth, Chris Maguire, Craig Conway, Gordon Greer, Johnny Russell, Kevin McDonald, Graham Dorrans, Chris Burke, Ross Wallace, kevin mcnaughton.

Let me know if you want any more. 

12 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Kai Kennedy wanted by Sheffield United

Hopefully this one goes through. Kennedy has rightly refused a new Rangers contract, as he's not happy with his path to first team football. It's obvious that Gerrard doesn't rate Scottish players.

Kennedy moving to Sheffield United would be a cracking move. Joining a club, with a manager who is willing to give him a fair crack, is just what he needs. He's better than Fraser and Forrest, so it'll benefit Scotland 

Not sure it's true Gerrard doesn't rate Scottish players. Jack is a mainstay, as are McGregor and McLaughlin. McCrorie (Ross) had his chance but he proved neither midfield fish nor defensive fowl. 

18 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Craig Bryson, Craig Forsyth, Chris Maguire, Craig Conway, Gordon Greer, Johnny Russell, Kevin McDonald, Graham Dorrans, Chris Burke, Ross Wallace, kevin mcnaughton.

Let me know if you want any more. 

Agreed. Could add Kenny McLean and Kenny Miller to that list but as you say I am certain there are lots more.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Not sure it's true Gerrard doesn't rate Scottish players. Jack is a mainstay, as are McGregor and McLaughlin. McCrorie (Ross) had his chance but he proved neither midfield fish nor defensive fowl. 

Rangers will end up regretting letting mcrorie go

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Nah. I meant outfield players, mate.

I'll admit, I don't watch the SPL, reguarly, or even the highlights anymore. I do, on occasion. Like, I saw McCrorie's Aberdeen debut. I do have an eye on Scottish football via SofaScore.

Apart from Jack, I don't think Gerrard has given a Scot a chance. Letting McCrorie leave will be a mistake, and I can see Gregg Docherty rise up the leagues in England, and might turn out to be the new John McGinn. Hastie isn't really got the experience.

I don't know the stats, but if I were to guess, i'd say that Rangers start with the least percentage of Scots in the SPL.

6 hours ago, bazmidd said:

It is definitely a positive! The only way we will consistently produce elite level players is if they are getting elite level coaching. Ok, every so often someone like Andy Robertson will be an exception, but the odds of following the Andy Robertson path to elite level are like winning the lottery. And when I say elite I mean the very top, playing Champions League football for a club capable of winning the Champions League. If one or two of these young lads can come through at these clubs then that would be fantastic! A lot won't make it at those clubs but will hopefully still filter down and make it at a good level. The best chance they have though of being elite, is learning from the best so I for one am delighted to see so many of our young players being snapped up by some of the biggest clubs in the world, and it's no coincidence this upturn in big clubs signing some of our best youngsters coincides with the opening of the Performance Schools that have produced a good few of these players. 

I’m happy enough to see him sign for Man City. I think the big difference is that the opposition he will face is a lot better than if he stayed and developed at Rangers - where he absolutely would get elite level coaching. If that was not the case, rich clubs wouldn’t be queuing up to sign Rnagers players. Rangers youths do have a fairly extensive programme of games against English and European teams but still need to play domestic games where they are not properly tested. They pretty much have all their players playing up the age groups but that’s not enough in itself. 

18 hours ago, theabsentee said:

It's positive that the big clubs are taking note of our youngsters but from our selfish point of view what is slightly worrying is that a potentially impressionable 16 year old  is moving to what i expect is his country of birth.

His older brother even though born in London seems very committed to Scotland so hopefully he has ambitions to play senior level with his big bro one day. 

The Sfa need to play their part by keeping tabs on the boy & if merited including him in the under age squads. 

I think he was born in Scotland. Seems a bit similar to Dembele that Dapo was born in London and Dire in Scotland (like Karamoko's younger brother). So he's eligible for Scotland and, I guess, Nigeria. Wikipedia just says "Nigerian descent".

Rangers are in an odd situation. Gerrard has not shown any desire, outwardly, of supporting Scottish football if you look at the first team but the club seems filled to bursting with young talent. I am sure he will want that to develop over the next year or so. I guess a trophy is just so important for the immediate future for him.

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Nah. I meant outfield players, mate.

I'll admit, I don't watch the SPL, reguarly, or even the highlights anymore. I do, on occasion. Like, I saw McCrorie's Aberdeen debut. I do have an eye on Scottish football via SofaScore.

Apart from Jack, I don't think Gerrard has given a Scot a chance. Letting McCrorie leave will be a mistake, and I can see Gregg Docherty rise up the leagues in England, and might turn out to be the new John McGinn. Hastie isn't really got the experience.

I don't know the stats, but if I were to guess, i'd say that Rangers start with the least percentage of Scots in the SPL.

I saw a graph elsewhere re this , might even be on this board

You are correct  however St Mirren are second bottom which i found surprising..

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m happy enough to see him sign for Man City. I think the big difference is that the opposition he will face is a lot better than if he stayed and developed at Rangers - where he absolutely would get elite level coaching. If that was not the case, rich clubs wouldn’t be queuing up to sign Rnagers players. Rangers youths do have a fairly extensive programme of games against English and European teams but still need to play domestic games where they are not properly tested. They pretty much have all their players playing up the age groups but that’s not enough in itself. 

Yeah to be fair to Rangers they have vastly improved their youth setup in recent years, they have a talented players at all levels just now and the results they have had are very impressive. Like you say there is only so far they can develop though against the standard they are up against, especially if Gerrard is loathe to introduce them to the first team

Just now, bazmidd said:

Yeah to be fair to Rangers they have vastly improved their youth setup in recent years, they have a talented players at all levels just now and the results they have had are very impressive. Like you say there is only so far they can develop though against the standard they are up against, especially if Gerrard is loathe to introduce them to the first team

Without going through the whole debate again here is the argument for Colt Teams .

If Rangers have more Scots playing and with the winning mentality that Rangers and Celtic usually have , it will help the National team.

55 minutes ago, stocky said:

Without going through the whole debate again here is the argument for Colt Teams .

If Rangers have more Scots playing and with the winning mentality that Rangers and Celtic usually have , it will help the National team.

I'm 100 percent for Colt teams for exactly that reason, the good of the national team. 

Rangers and Celtic have the pick of all the best youth players, that is just a fact, but it is also the hardest two teams in the country to get into, so it leaves a lot of these lads, some of the best youths in the country, during the most important years of their careers between 18 and 21 playing reserve football or sporadic loans a few months here and there at clubs where sometimes the coaching, style of play and principles they have learned are completely alien to what they have been learning for all those years beforehand.. They need continuity, playing for their club in the way they have been taught by their club, putting everything they have learned into practice in a senior competitive environment. Loans are good for some young players but difficult for other young players to adjust to for the reasons I outlined above. I honestly think for a lot of the youth players at Rangers and Celtic they would flourish if they played for the B team up until 21 at which point they would hopedully have improved enough after 4 years of men's football to be in a far better position to push for a first team spot.

The knock on effect of this is better players in the national team

28 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I'm 100 percent for Colt teams for exactly that reason, the good of the national team. 

Rangers and Celtic have the pick of all the best youth players, that is just a fact, but it is also the hardest two teams in the country to get into, so it leaves a lot of these lads, some of the best youths in the country, during the most important years of their careers between 18 and 21 playing reserve football or sporadic loans a few months here and there at clubs where sometimes the coaching, style of play and principles they have learned are completely alien to what they have been learning for all those years beforehand.. They need continuity, playing for their club in the way they have been taught by their club, putting everything they have learned into practice in a senior competitive environment. Loans are good for some young players but difficult for other young players to adjust to for the reasons I outlined above. I honestly think for a lot of the youth players at Rangers and Celtic they would flourish if they played for the B team up until 21 at which point they would hopedully have improved enough after 4 years of men's football to be in a far better position to push for a first team spot.

The knock on effect of this is better players in the national team

Why just Celtic and Rangers? Plenty other Scottish clubs now producing decent young players although many seem to be going down South at a young age. Scotland U19 announced squad today and NO Celtic players in squad and only 2 from Rangers.

9 hours ago, RabtheBruce said:

And with this, then hats off to the much maligned Mark Wolte who started the whole performance schools thing off. Slagged off constantly by the dinosaurs Macari, Brazil and others on the Daily Record payroll if his vision for the performance schools bears fruit with success for these players then he should be guest of honour when we eventually lift the world cup in 2026.

Or even just qualify for it.

6 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

And with this, then hats off to the much maligned Mark Wolte who started the whole performance schools thing off. Slagged off constantly by the dinosaurs Macari, Brazil and others on the Daily Record payroll if his vision for the performance schools bears fruit with success for these players then he should be guest of honour when we eventually lift the world cup in 2026.

Spot on, although to be fair he was recruited to implement them. 

10 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Maybe we should bring him back to set up more of them. 

9 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Aye, wankers.

Sadly, once upon a time there were a few on here scoffing at the performance schools. Pish like "We didnae need these in ma da's day" and "what boys need these days is a kick up the arse not some daft wee academy."

That kind of attitude screwed us over for a long time.

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, wankers.

Sadly, once upon a time there were a few on here scoffing at the performance schools. Pish like "We didnae need these in ma da's day" and "what boys need these days is a kick up the arse not some daft wee academy."

That kind of attitude screwed us over for a long time.

My biggest problem with the criticism ( Macari in particular) was the whole, how can we judge and justify the PS before 2020 ish. Sorry Lou, but that is what schools are for, investing in the future. Not just being a cheque book manager and "media pundit" who was not even very good at that, was he Fergus?

4 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Why just Celtic and Rangers? Plenty other Scottish clubs now producing decent young players although many seem to be going down South at a young age. Scotland U19 announced squad today and NO Celtic players in squad and only 2 from Rangers.

No your right if clubs such as Aberdeen etc can afford a B side I'm for that as well I wouldn't restrict it to just Celtic and Rangers. I know you say there are no Celtic players in those squads but a few of Celtics best youngsters have been poached recently by even bigger clubs than them, which is very promising for the national side.