Scottish player transfers - Page 111 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

The difference is in the consistent standard of player in England. In a Prem Scottish team, outside of the OF, the standard of player probably varies from good Championship player to poor league 2 player even within a matchday squad. In England the standard of player in the Championship won't generally be any better than the best non-OF player, but it certainly won't be as bad as the worst in a typical Scottish squad. There is a lot of snobbery down south about the standard of player in Scotland, but for me the reality is that although the standard is much more variable, our best is definitely as good as the best in the Championship and on occasion better than that.

On 9/22/2020 at 9:31 AM, ProudScot said:

Scotland caps mean very little when we are so terrible.

Our worst player Stephen O’Donnell must have a good few caps. 

The point wasn't so much about how many caps but how many caps relative to someone else who plays in the same position and several managers have reckoned McKenna was better than Cooper. 

27 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

The point wasn't so much about how many caps but how many caps relative to someone else who plays in the same position and several managers have reckoned McKenna was better than Cooper. 

Well we can gauge how McKenna does now he’s playing at the same level Cooper did last season.

McKenna has been pish for a couple of years though.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

I don't know.

Correction, I think he's 16.

Not sure what the correction is for?

I don't think he has been involved at all, but I could well be wrong.

If so you have to ask how have 4 premiership clubs found him yet our national side haven't. Or perhaps they know about him but have decided to stick with the win at all costs attitude of Scottish football rather than at least take him along to have a look.

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure what the correction is for?

I don't think he has been involved at all, but I could well be wrong.

If so you have to ask how have 4 premiership clubs found him yet our national side haven't. Or perhaps they know about him but have decided to stick with the win at all costs attitude of Scottish football rather than at least take him along to have a look.

Oops. I thought I said that he was 18 in my original post.

Probably schoolboys? 

Probably. At league level it's time to what they do in the EPL and have a quota of youth products in a matchday squad. Anything that helps promote our young players and force clubs to play them, the better. 

The performance schools will only really be judged a success if our clubs actually give the kids a fair chance.

This is a surprise. I didn't even realise Dapo had a brother who played. Is he any good? No, he's Dire. Ahem.Screenshot_20200929-194216_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6a8c13133f831b5b54b5c235ff55d5cc.jpg

An interesting question, should we be:

a. As excited as a youngster joining Bayern

b. Pleased that youngsters are picked up by big clubs but not as positive than if it was Bayern (man city Hoover these kids up and we never see them again. Or

c. Not even interested.

I do think the number of youngsters at the biggest clubs is positive.

7 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

This is a surprise. I didn't even realise Dapo had a brother who played. Is he any good? No, he's Dire. Ahem.Screenshot_20200929-194216_Twitter.thumb.jpg.6a8c13133f831b5b54b5c235ff55d5cc.jpg

An interesting question, should we be:

a. As excited as a youngster joining Bayern

b. Pleased that youngsters are picked up by big clubs but not as positive than if it was Bayern (man city Hoover these kids up and we never see them again. Or

c. Not even interested.

I do think the number of youngsters at the biggest clubs is positive.

Its probably a slight positive to have loads of kids at big clubs but its not a guarantee that any will make it there. I don't understand getting excited by it tbh. Our record of young players making it at big clubs is about 1 in 20 in the past 15 years. Mctominay being that 1, Gilmour could be our 2nd but hes still got a fair bit to go. 

It's positive that the big clubs are taking note of our youngsters but from our selfish point of view what is slightly worrying is that a potentially impressionable 16 year old  is moving to what i expect is his country of birth.

His older brother even though born in London seems very committed to Scotland so hopefully he has ambitions to play senior level with his big bro one day. 

The Sfa need to play their part by keeping tabs on the boy & if merited including him in the under age squads. 

Edited by theabsentee

Kai Kennedy wanted by Sheffield United

Hopefully this one goes through. Kennedy has rightly refused a new Rangers contract, as he's not happy with his path to first team football. It's obvious that Gerrard doesn't rate Scottish players.

Kennedy moving to Sheffield United would be a cracking move. Joining a club, with a manager who is willing to give him a fair crack, is just what he needs. He's better than Fraser and Forrest, so it'll benefit Scotland 

34 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Kai Kennedy wanted by Sheffield United

Hopefully this one goes through. Kennedy has rightly refused a new Rangers contract, as he's not happy with his path to first team football. It's obvious that Gerrard doesn't rate Scottish players.

Kennedy moving to Sheffield United would be a cracking move. Joining a club, with a manager who is willing to give him a fair crack, is just what he needs. He's better than Fraser and Forrest, so it'll benefit Scotland 

Not good enough for the under 21 squad. We really are a country rich in footballing talent

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not good enough for the under 21 squad. We really are a country rich in footballing talent

Hickey and Kennedy should be in the Under 21s. So should Stuart McKinstry of Leeds.

Three 18-year-olds with great potential. Along with the kids at Man City and Bayern Munich. The more experience these kids get at international level, the better.