Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SkyBlueScot

Scottish player transfers

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Apparently he can play for three different countries, hope he chooses us if he's any good but I see he's already been involved with Ivory Coast at youth level.

Apparently wasnt allowed to play for them in the end as an MRI scan showed he was over age for the age group he tried playing for.

I remember reading about Anya when he was at Glenn Hoddles academy at a young age in Spain and thinking i'll never hear about that guy again and he ended up playing for us so you never know a good season or 2 and he could be at a top half championship team playing at a very good standard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dembele scored his first goal for England u15's last month and was made Captain

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2566388/karamoko-dembele-celtic-england-scotland-goal/

 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2575572/celtic-karamoko-dembele-score-england-austria/

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now we're talking about players stepping down from league one to league two who have next to no connection to Scotland.  This is truly desperate stuff guys. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, aaid said:

So now we're talking about players stepping down from league one to league two who have next to no connection to Scotland.  This is truly desperate stuff guys. 

Im not touting the guy for a call up but certainly worth watching incase he does what Anya did and moves up the leagues. He's moved to Peterborough who are in League One and have a good reputation for developing young players and selling players onto bigger clubs. And i'd also argue take Celtic and Rangers out sadly the Scottish Premier League is at League One status

Look at the players moving to the SPL this summer and its embarrassing and depressing why these clubs wont invest in their own youth and give it more of a chance

Aberdeen -  1 player from Peterborough

Dundee - 1 from Woking and 1 from Kidderminster Harriers

Hamilton - 1 from Peterborough

Hearts - Cambridge, Luton, Glenavon

Motherwell - Hartlepool, Gateshead, Wallsall, Plymouth

St Johnstone - Colchester

St Mirren - Truro, Aldershot, Darlington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, aaid said:

So now we're talking about players stepping down from league one to league two who have next to no connection to Scotland.  This is truly desperate stuff guys. 

In fairness he is eligible to play for Scotland.  I don't know what the guy is like in terms of ability or in terms of where his loyalties lie but we should be monitoring those who are eligible and encouraging them to want to play for us.  As for Div 1, I remember Ryan Fraser getting pelters for moving to Bournemouth when they were in the same division and Stephen O'Donnell was playing in Div 2 not very long ago.  Like Borojock said Peterboro have a good reputation for selling on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, borojock said:

Im not touting the guy for a call up but certainly worth watching incase he does what Anya did and moves up the leagues. He's moved to Peterborough who are in League One and have a good reputation for developing young players and selling players onto bigger clubs. And i'd also argue take Celtic and Rangers out sadly the Scottish Premier League is at League One status

Look at the players moving to the SPL this summer and its embarrassing and depressing why these clubs wont invest in their own youth and give it more of a chance

Aberdeen -  1 player from Peterborough

Dundee - 1 from Woking and 1 from Kidderminster Harriers

Hamilton - 1 from Peterborough

Hearts - Cambridge, Luton, Glenavon

Motherwell - Hartlepool, Gateshead, Wallsall, Plymouth

St Johnstone - Colchester

St Mirren - Truro, Aldershot, Darlington

Sorry, I misread that as he'd gone from Peterborough to Grimsby.   That only makes it slightly less desperate though.

Looking at that list of players moving to the SPL, you have a point.   I saw Woking play twice last year, they were absolutely dreadful.  They were relegated from the National League and quite rightly so.   I saw Hartlepool and Gateshead twice and they weren't much better - albeit Gateshead took six points off us but over the course of the season they were poor.

Truro, FFS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aaid said:

Sorry, I misread that as he'd gone from Peterborough to Grimsby.   That only makes it slightly less desperate though.

Looking at that list of players moving to the SPL, you have a point.   I saw Woking play twice last year, they were absolutely dreadful.  They were relegated from the National League and quite rightly so.   I saw Hartlepool and Gateshead twice and they weren't much better - albeit Gateshead took six points off us but over the course of the season they were poor.

Truro, FFS.

I know, i fear the league is moving back to the dark days where a lot of clubs are stocked full of journeymen lower division hatchet men or foreigners from the continent who are no better then what we already have

I was so happy to see Ross County and ICT go down in the last few seasons due to them having 2 or 3 scottish players in the squad never mind starting 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, borojock said:

I know, i fear the league is moving back to the dark days where a lot of clubs are stocked full of journeymen lower division hatchet men or foreigners from the continent who are no better then what we already have

I was so happy to see Ross County and ICT go down in the last few seasons due to them having 2 or 3 scottish players in the squad never mind starting 11

The thing is, there are some good young players in the National League - I don't think any of those involved in these transfers fall into that category though.

Gateshead and Hartlepool have serious financial problems and are cutting their budgets and offloading players, Woking were abysmal, they had absolutely no fight or spine about them.  It's one thing taking a player from a club that's been relegated if they've gone down fighting, Woking just laid down and took it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC reporting that Derby have expressed an interest in McGinn. Seen a few comments from Celtic fans saying he's not good enough for them. With Brown in the team it's hard to see him playing that regularly but Derby would be a good fit for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

BBC reporting that Derby have expressed an interest in McGinn. Seen a few comments from Celtic fans saying he's not good enough for them. With Brown in the team it's hard to see him playing that regularly but Derby would be a good fit for both.

He's not good enough for Scotland let alone Celtic ( is that the right way round )?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, borojock said:

Look at the players moving to the SPL this summer and its embarrassing and depressing why these clubs wont invest in their own youth and give it more of a chance

Aberdeen -  1 player from Peterborough

Dundee - 1 from Woking and 1 from Kidderminster Harriers

Hamilton - 1 from Peterborough

Hearts - Cambridge, Luton, Glenavon

Motherwell - Hartlepool, Gateshead, Wallsall, Plymouth

St Johnstone - Colchester

St Mirren - Truro, Aldershot, Darlington

Pretty depressing list, Celtic fans must be thinking bring on the challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

BBC reporting that Derby have expressed an interest in McGinn. Seen a few comments from Celtic fans saying he's not good enough for them. With Brown in the team it's hard to see him playing that regularly but Derby would be a good fit for both.

I read 3 million somewhere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's not good enough for Scotland let alone Celtic ( is that the right way round )?

Do you think? I like him and am keen to see him tested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

So, Jon McLaughlin to Sunderland.

I think that rules him out the Scotland squad for the next year or so at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Pretty depressing list, Celtic fans must be thinking bring on the challenge!

I'm not sure whats depressing about it at all...my club, Motherwell, have had some real success scouting at the lower reaches of English football, offering players a platform and publicity that they will never get playing for some of the teams mentioned. Over the past few years, we've benefited from the services of the likes of Moult, Johnson and Heneghan, and then sold them back down South at a great profit, while the players themselves will have earned life-altering salaries upon their moves to PNE, Oxford (and then Middlesbrough) and Sheffield United. Others such as Bowman and Frear have come in and 'done a job', without setting the heather alight. Some of them have came up and just not been able to hack it, but you have that risk signing players from any market...we signed Brian McLair from Man United some years back, and he lasted about 10 games before realising it wasn't as easy as it looked from the outside, then there is the likes of Joey Barton!! The way Motherwell have done their business over the past 4 years or so, has allowed us to pay off much of our debts and put the Club on a much more solid footing. 

 

I was talking to an SPFL Manager last weekend, who told me that he was having real difficulty in getting players in, purely because of the money being offered at all levels down South...thats probably the only bit that I find depressing, that financially we just struggle to compete.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'm not sure whats depressing about it at all...my club, Motherwell, have had some real success scouting at the lower reaches of English football, offering players a platform and publicity that they will never get playing for some of the teams mentioned. Over the past few years, we've benefited from the services of the likes of Moult, Johnson and Heneghan, and then sold them back down South at a great profit, while the players themselves will have earned life-altering salaries upon their moves to PNE, Oxford (and then Middlesbrough) and Sheffield United. Others such as Bowman and Frear have come in and 'done a job', without setting the heather alight. Some of them have came up and just not been able to hack it, but you have that risk signing players from any market...we signed Brian McLair from Man United some years back, and he lasted about 10 games before realising it wasn't as easy as it looked from the outside, then there is the likes of Joey Barton!! The way Motherwell have done their business over the past 4 years or so, has allowed us to pay off much of our debts and put the Club on a much more solid footing. 

 

I was talking to an SPFL Manager last weekend, who told me that he was having real difficulty in getting players in, purely because of the money being offered at all levels down South...thats probably the only bit that I find depressing, that financially we just struggle to compete.

 

 

I get as a Motherwell supporter that you'd be happy with that and completely understand and respect that 

I find the above list of players depressing for 2 main reasons

One that list of players coming up and playing in the league just highlights what a poor level the SPL is operating at, i personally see the quality of the league getting worse (taking Celtic and Rangers out of it). If we have a poor national league its incredibly hard to really develop a national tea, of any quality

Second point that depresses me is the number of Scottish youth getting a chance - if we took Motherwell as an example Scottish players under the age of 26 in your first team squad is 3 i believe (i may be wrong and apologies if i am but i'm going off wiki). The number of clubs just bringing in loads of lower level english players feels like its increasing every year over the last 5 years, i dont have any evidence to prove this. I get the point that the clubs arent there to feed the national team and all of them want to preserve there top league status and the mangers have to do what they need to do to keep there job etc. When we have so few young scots plying there trade in the first team again its really hard to develop a good national team. The one that looks the worst for me this close season is Hearts. Gave a load of youth a chance last season which was great and this close season they have bought about 6 or 7 lower league english players and i cant see these young players getting as many chances next season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, borojock said:

I get as a Motherwell supporter that you'd be happy with that and completely understand and respect that 

I find the above list of players depressing for 2 main reasons

One that list of players coming up and playing in the league just highlights what a poor level the SPL is operating at, i personally see the quality of the league getting worse (taking Celtic and Rangers out of it). If we have a poor national league its incredibly hard to really develop a national tea, of any quality

Second point that depresses me is the number of Scottish youth getting a chance - if we took Motherwell as an example Scottish players under the age of 26 in your first team squad is 3 i believe (i may be wrong and apologies if i am but i'm going off wiki). The number of clubs just bringing in loads of lower level english players feels like its increasing every year over the last 5 years, i dont have any evidence to prove this. I get the point that the clubs arent there to feed the national team and all of them want to preserve there top league status and the mangers have to do what they need to do to keep there job etc. When we have so few young scots plying there trade in the first team again its really hard to develop a good national team. The one that looks the worst for me this close season is Hearts. Gave a load of youth a chance last season which was great and this close season they have bought about 6 or 7 lower league english players and i cant see these young players getting as many chances next season 

On the emboldened bit...While I do agree that the standard isn't great up here, I don't think think this list proves anything, there are rough diamonds to be had at every level in my opinion and its up to the Clubs scouting network to unearth them, the lad from Truro might be absolutely shite, but he might just have something that St Mirren think they can work and improve on...I'd love to see Motherwell bring players in from Scottish Clubs, but I believe the costs are prohibitive, as we generally attempt to bring in younger players on a free, and with a point to prove, which is difficult to do from a Club in the same country due to development fees etc.

 

On Motherwell itself, yes, in the main, the only Scottish players that played regularly for us last season were Aldred, Tait, Campbell (who became a mainstay in the 21s) and Cadden (who got two caps in our mental post-season jolly), which isn't great, however youngsters such as Maguire, Livingston, Hastie, Scott, Turnbull, Brown, Mclean have all been in and around the 1st team squad and I'd hope they'll kick on this season, with Turnbull and Livingstone being the two that I'd expect to really push on this year.

 

As you say, its a balancing act for the Clubs and managers, balancing the books, balancing squad sizes, balancing the requirement for match ready players versus the local kid that they've invested time and money into and who helps preserve the clubs identity. When Motherwell, or any other club, sign a player from Gateshead, Truro or Kidderminster, it doesn't depress me, it intrigues me....will this boy be good enough? why has it taken so long for him to reach this level? will he be used to the frenetic pace up here? ...over and above that, I'm almost certain that if our home-grown players are good enough, then they'll get their chance, and thats at just about every club in Scotland now, which maybe wasn't the case 10 years ago.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, borojock said:

I get as a Motherwell supporter that you'd be happy with that and completely understand and respect that 

I find the above list of players depressing for 2 main reasons

One that list of players coming up and playing in the league just highlights what a poor level the SPL is operating at, i personally see the quality of the league getting worse (taking Celtic and Rangers out of it). If we have a poor national league its incredibly hard to really develop a national tea, of any quality

Second point that depresses me is the number of Scottish youth getting a chance - if we took Motherwell as an example Scottish players under the age of 26 in your first team squad is 3 i believe (i may be wrong and apologies if i am but i'm going off wiki). The number of clubs just bringing in loads of lower level english players feels like its increasing every year over the last 5 years, i dont have any evidence to prove this. I get the point that the clubs arent there to feed the national team and all of them want to preserve there top league status and the mangers have to do what they need to do to keep there job etc. When we have so few young scots plying there trade in the first team again its really hard to develop a good national team. The one that looks the worst for me this close season is Hearts. Gave a load of youth a chance last season which was great and this close season they have bought about 6 or 7 lower league english players and i cant see these young players getting as many chances next season 

It’s hard to see Levein not sticking with his youth players. He probably just wants more experience in the squad because 16 year old can’t be expected to play 40 games. He’ll put them in and out as required, but i’ve no doubt he has faith in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s hard to see Levein not sticking with his youth players. He probably just wants more experience in the squad because 16 year old can’t be expected to play 40 games. He’ll put them in and out as required, but i’ve no doubt he has faith in them.

As a Hearts fan i find it pretty disappointing (interested to hear the thoughts of others). The situation at Hearts helped force through these youngsters who are getting first team action.

Not all will make it but it has to be good for Scottish football. In fact i heard somebody (U19s coach?) say that when playing the Italians their coach was shocked at how few of our lads had first team action.

The number of players Levein's brought doesn't bode well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2018 at 3:38 PM, aaid said:

That suggests that Chelsea don't rate him. You can generally work that out on the basis of clubs that they get loaded out to. 

Andy Robertson being bumped to Queens Park didn’t do him any harm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Andy Robertson being bumped to Queens Park didn’t do him any harm. 

And for every one that gets freed at an early age and goes on to prove people wrong, I can give you a hundred that don't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×