Scottish player transfers - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/46972910

A German journo quoted in this article reckons Bates might be used as back-up centre back now that some other dude is back from long-term injury. Up to him to prove he's worthy of being first choice and if he isn't able to do that then he probably isn't quite ready for international football yet either.

8 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/46972910

A German journo quoted in this article reckons Bates might be used as back-up centre back now that some other dude is back from long-term injury. Up to him to prove he's worthy of being first choice and if he isn't able to do that then he probably isn't quite ready for international football yet either.

That depends if we have better replacements. The main strength of Bates is his instinct to defend and in particular to smother opponents (not literally)  using his physique. 

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I don't know about you, but I am starting to the think the Bundesliga is probably the league with the least depth of the top leagues.

I'd disagree with that. Nurnberg aren't great but I would still expect them to beat the bottom EPL teams: Huddersfield, Cardiff, Burney and Fulham.

I think if the Bundesliga teams went head-to-head with their EPL equivalent, there would be more German wins than English ones.

6 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

"Feruz has seriously failed to live up to his potential following six severely disappointing loan spells with the likes of OFI Crete, Blackpool and even Hibs."

🤣

1 hour ago, Rude Gullit said:

"Feruz has seriously failed to live up to his potential following six severely disappointing loan spells with the likes of OFI Crete, Blackpool and even Hibs."

🤣

“and was tipped for the top by just about everyone who seen him play.”

Much like the Lisobon Lions this suggests the writer was born within 30 miles of Glasgow.

20 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Feruz now apparently on the radar of, er, Cape Town City.

Officially now freed by Chelsea.

I suspect no club at his level in the UK can pay what he was getting for warming Chelsea's U23 bench.

Any decent money he makes now he will have to earn. I'm not sure he has the desire because the money has come so easily to him so far. 

On 2/9/2019 at 8:19 AM, PASTA Mick said:

Any decent money he makes now he will have to earn. I'm not sure he has the desire because the money has come so easily to him so far. 

Maybe he'll now he alive to the reality of having to forge a career in football. Having to earn your way is a great motivator, and that's what he's going to have to do now. There's a fair chance he just continues to sink like a stone, but the lack of that Chelsea safety net might just make him kick on. Fingers crossed.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:26 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but I cannot see how Kenny Miller can be lumped in amongst such flops. He stands at 6th on the all-time list of highest Scotland goalscorers with only Dalglish, Law, Hughie Gallacher, Reilly and McCoist. Bear in mind that Miller was playing in a team struggling for quality. He averages a better than a goal every four games average which is very respectable when talking about Scotland international strikers.

Miller did a thankless task but was mostly shite

On 1/20/2019 at 5:49 PM, ProudScot said:

Why should they have had his back. 

Ferguson was not wired right in the head and didn’t care about playing for Scotland. 

Why shouldn't they?

On 2/2/2019 at 2:50 PM, Chripper said:

The same was said about Van Dijk, I even some so-called experts (pundits) saying that Van Dijk would be found out in the EPL.

Not saying that McKenna is as good as Van Dijk, I'm saying that some people over-rate the EPL. Take the top 6 out of the league and it's average, and for the amount of transfer fees and wages paid it's embarrassing.

Anyone that couldn't see VVD as a great player was an idiot

On 2/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, Chripper said:

Umm.... to be honest I can't think of any. It just goes to show how little the English regard our football.

McKenna seems to have a mature head of his shoulders so I think he sees his immediate future at Aberdeen, as he's pretty much guaranteed game time. Hopefully he can improve and reach his potential, if he does then I think his future will take care of itself. I think he's got four more years on his contract, is that right? I don't see Aberdeen letting him go for less than £10million and I can't see the lad asking for a transfer.

McKenna will go for about 4 mil if your lucky

On 2/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

Morellos will be a 50 million player.  No doubts about that.  Rangers are not daft and won't let him go for any less than 20.

No

On 2/5/2019 at 4:02 PM, Chripper said:

And with all three being 22 years old.

It's time to play all three together.

No

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

This Byers kid scored for Swansea today, Swans got 3-4 Scottish players in their squad.

Lots of unheralded players in form so interesting squad announcement in 3 weeks.

To call Byers a "kid" is pushing it a bit, he is 23 this May.

He seems to have been a bit of a late starter.

Local press are linking Hull to Jake Hastie although Leeds are also keen. Glad to see he's not pushing for a move yet. I like what's happening at Motherwell.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-compete-leeds-united-2567831

Just goes to show that you can follow Dembele and Gilmour's development from the age of 15 but many good players emerge a little later.

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Local press are linking Hull to Jake Hastie although Leeds are also keen. Glad to see he's not pushing for a move yet. I like what's happening at Motherwell.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-compete-leeds-united-2567831

Just goes to show that you can follow Dembele and Gilmour's development from the age of 15 but many good players emerge a little later.

I noticed the lad in his first appearance this season and the thing that strikes me about him that he has a natural willingness to run at players. He has pace, power and I've seen players literally bounce of him. When he dropped down a level when he joined Alloa I think the penny dropped and he realized that he has a wonderful chance at Motherwell, and credit to him, he seems to be taking his chance.

The worse thing he can do is seek a move away. He needs a good couple of seasons under his belt with Motherwell before even thinking of moving up a level.

On 14 February 2019 at 11:44 AM, andyD said:

Maybe he'll now he alive to the reality of having to forge a career in football. Having to earn your way is a great motivator, and that's what he's going to have to do now. There's a fair chance he just continues to sink like a stone, but the lack of that Chelsea safety net might just make him kick on. Fingers crossed.

Wake up and smell the coffee.  The guy is now 23 and has ruined his football development completely.  He isn't going to suddenly develop a good attitude.  Any talent he might have had is totally undeveloped and will never be realised.  

Hes got more chance of being in jail in two years time than being paid to play football - I don't think you can use the word professional to describe him.    

Next time he's in the sports pages it'll be a "where did it all go wrong piece".

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

I noticed the lad in his first appearance this season and the thing that strikes me about him that he has a natural willingness to run at players. He has pace, power and I've seen players literally bounce of him. When he dropped down a level when he joined Alloa I think the penny dropped and he realized that he has a wonderful chance at Motherwell, and credit to him, he seems to be taking his chance.

The worse thing he can do is seek a move away. He needs a good couple of seasons under his belt with Motherwell before even thinking of moving up a level.

Luckily, most of these lads coming through at Motherwell with high hopes, are bigs fans of the club. 16 year old Stuart McKinstry was subject to a Leeds bid in January, but he never left.  He's a big fan too and played for Scotland u16's a week or two back and scored

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Luckily, most of these lads coming through at Motherwell with high hopes, are bigs fans of the club. 16 year old Stuart McKinstry was subject to a Leeds bid in January, but he never left.  He's a big fan too and played for Scotland u16's a week or two back and scored

He has signed a pre-contract with Leeds. 

On 2/22/2019 at 5:32 PM, aaid said:

Wake up and smell the coffee.  The guy is now 23 and has ruined his football development completely.  He isn't going to suddenly develop a good attitude.  Any talent he might have had is totally undeveloped and will never be realised.  

Hes got more chance of being in jail in two years time than being paid to play football - I don't think you can use the word professional to describe him.     

Next time he's in the sports pages it'll be a "where did it all go wrong piece".

I'm not holding out any hope of him being a useful player for Scotland, but not having the safety net might force him to at least knuckle down and make a half decent career for himself. If you look at his behaviour, he's been able to be a prat because he could always just go back to Chelsea. Now he can't, he either drops out of the game and lives in his mum's basement, or he grows up.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

I'm not holding out any hope of him being a useful player for Scotland, but not having the safety net might force him to at least knuckle down and make a half decent career for himself. If you look at his behaviour, he's been able to be a prat because he could always just go back to Chelsea. Now he can't, he either drops out of the game and lives in his mum's basement, or he grows up.

He'll be a multi millionaire by now

20 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

He'll be a multi millionaire by now

Lol this is what I was thinking. How much was Chelsea paying him a week? He's pissed away a career at top level football but he will surely settle into a league 2 club eventually or a Scottish championship club. As long as he put some of his Chelsea money away in savings then he will probably be ok in life. It's a terrible situation in football when a guy like feruz can make so much money in football without even achieving anything.

13 minutes ago, andyD said:

You've a little more faith in his decision-making than i do then.

Yeh he's maybe squandered the money away. I read online that he was on 2.5k a week at Chelsea. Not sure if that is accurate but if he was buying flash cars and clothes etc then he may have very little left. I thought he might of been on a bit more than 2.5k.