Scottish player transfers - Page 198 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

On 4/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, ProudScot said:

I don’t think Dykes is good enough for the old firm

Dykes is better than Morelos in my opinion and I think he’d be a real handful now he’s had the experience in England. I don’t want him to go back though, he needs to keep improving against good players. Being such a late starter, I think he can get to EPL level in time. 

30 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Dykes is better than Morelos in my opinion and I think he’d be a real handful now he’s had the experience in England. I don’t want him to go back though, he needs to keep improving against good players. Being such a late starter, I think he can get to EPL level in time. 

Not sure dykes could be considered better than morelos. Morelos has a much better scoring record than dykes.

I like dykes and would love to see him play epl but he would have to start scoring more goals before any epl side would take a chance on him. He needs to be scoring a good 15 plus goals a season. His link up play is great but it doesnt make up for lack of goals.

As much as i like dykes in the long run i would say rangers and scotland should be looking for a higher standard than dykes in terms of first team starters. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

A fit and motivated Moreles is several levels above Dykes however Moreles hasnt been that for probably 2 years.

Dykes will never be an EPL regular. He doesnt have the skillset or technique. He is a better than aberage Championship striker. Theres no shame in that and more often than not thats a good enough standard to do a job at international standard for us off the bench or in certain games.

39 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

A fit and motivated Moreles is several levels above Dykes however Moreles hasnt been that for probably 2 years.

Dykes will never be an EPL regular. He doesnt have the skillset or technique. He is a better than aberage Championship striker. Theres no shame in that and more often than not thats a good enough standard to do a job at international standard for us off the bench or in certain games.

Probably agree with most of that but i do think that dykes has decent technique and ability.

Technique wise hes been excellent for scotland considering hes an average championship striker. 

I find there is almost a kind of snobbery with fans towards where a player plays and how that reflects on what,they acheive for Scotland. It is very much worth pointing out that Joe Jordan (rated very highly amongst Scotland fans) who played for massive clubs of their time such as Leeds, Man U and in Italy with Roma (I believe it was) but Dykes has a much better strike rate for us. And lest we forget Jordan was playing in what is widely regarded as far superior Scotland teams. There have been other such instances too such as Charlie Adam who played for Rangers and Kiverpool but was rank rotten for us whereas we have had players play at lower levels yet make more of an impact for us.

This is why I take far more interest in how a player performs for us that is how he should be judged not on his club career or which club he plays for.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I find there is almost a kind of snobbery with fans towards where a player plays and how that reflects on what,they acheive for Scotland. It is very much worth pointing out that Joe Jordan (rated very highly amongst Scotland fans) who played for massive clubs of their time such as Leeds, Man U and in Italy with Roma (I believe it was) but Dykes has a much better strike rate for us. And lest we forget Jordan was playing in what is widely regarded as far superior Scotland teams. There have been other such instances too such as Charlie Adam who played for Rangers and Kiverpool but was rank rotten for us whereas we have had players play at lower levels yet make more of an impact for us.

This is why I take far more interest in how a player performs for us that is how he should be judged not on his club career or which club he plays for.

I think theres a difference between whether somebody is a good player in a more general sense and whether they perform well at international level.

International football just suits some better than others but just because you can score goals at international level doesnt mean that you can play week in week out at EPL or even Championship level. David Healy was a classic example of this.

International level more often than not will be playing at a much lower level than EPL. 

Only Spain in our group have a 1 to 11 that all reguarly play in the top 5 leagues. Even we have the 3 or 4 players starters who below that level and id imagine Norway are the same.  Georgia and Cyprus have even less. 

Dkyes has done really well for us. He suits how we play and is ideal for coming on with about 20 mins to go or in certain games where we are putting alot of balls into the box. There is literally nothing about his game that would allow him to start in a top 5 league though. 

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think theres a difference between whether somebody is a good player in a more general sense and whether they perform well at international level.

International football just suits some better than others but just because you can score goals at international level doesnt mean that you can play week in week out at EPL or even Championship level. David Healy was a classic example of this.

International level more often than not will be playing at a much lower level than EPL. 

Only Spain in our group have a 1 to 11 that all reguarly play in the top 5 leagues. Even we have the 3 or 4 players starters who below that level and id imagine Norway are the same.  Georgia and Cyprus have even less. 

Dkyes has done really well for us. He suits how we play and is ideal for coming on with about 20 mins to go or in certain games where we are putting alot of balls into the box. There is literally nothing about his game that would allow him to start in a top 5 league though. 

Good post.

At the end of the day if he can score goals at the frequency he has for us then that is great as his strike rate matches up very nicely with out best strikers. Sure, he is not technically superb but if he continues to find the net for Scotland at the rate he is at present then that is all that matters.

Club football fans can be similar. They may think their club has somebody extra special because he has played for a glamorous club in a bigger league but turns out to be a massive flop whilst a player brought in through a lower league club offers much more. Just a case of do not judge a player by clubs they have played for.

Dykes is a player that needs to be fully fit. When he is really on it he terrorises defenders. He’s got a burst of pace which is always ignored and he can finish. He also has self belief and a winning mentality. His late switch from Aussie rules means he will continue to learn and improve throughout his career. I’ve no doubt he could play lower to mid table EPL, maybe not every week, but certainly as an impact player. 

I think the other thing with Dykes is he's a bit of a throwback, a more traditional no. 9  I'm not sure international defenders are accustomed to playing against forwards with the physicality of Dykes. There will be lots of EPL and international forwards who are quicker, more technically able but not many will be better in the air or give you such a physical battle.

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Man Utd in for Hickey now.

Have to admit I didn’t realise how good he was until the Ireland game at hampden last year as only seen snippets of him at Bologna and barely watch English football these days. People scoffing at Man City but it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Almost like he was playing with a sixth sense and his ability to keep the ball in tight areas really stood out. Could def be morphed into holding midfielder in time  

11 hours ago, JECK said:

Have to admit I didn’t realise how good he was until the Ireland game at hampden last year as only seen snippets of him at Bologna and barely watch English football these days. People scoffing at Man City but it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Almost like he was playing with a sixth sense and his ability to keep the ball in tight areas really stood out. Could def be morphed into holding midfielder in time  

It would be quite something to have a two-footed player in the middle of the park to effortlessly switch play but also have defensive qualities. I could see him doing man marking in there too. 

20 hours ago, JECK said:

The ones scoffing are a bit odd. He's only 20 and he has 70 odd games across two top 5 leagues. There are very very few players who are at that level of quality and experience at his age - obviously top clubs are looking at him.

2 hours ago, borojock said:

And not so long ago there were posters on here saying he should never play for Scotland again after ducking out of a few U21's 

Aye!

You can literally sympathise with under 21 aged lads for not wanting to be part of the Scot Gemmill set up nowadays to be honest. Probably puts dual qualified players off choosing Scotland 

On 4/25/2023 at 6:44 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

AC Milan and Hellas Verona.

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Young promising Scots rejecting top English sides to stay in Scotland Jack Wylie and Calum Adamson(Rangers) and James Wilson(Hearts) all highly rated and chased by top prem sides but committed there professional contracts in Scotland.

Love the patriotism, but they would develop better down south....🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Love the patriotism, but they would develop better down south....🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Especially the Rangers lad sadly Rangers got a track record of not letting the youngsters near the first team for any consistent run 

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Would they? Have we had any young players that have gone to epl youth setups and then gone onto a career at epl level?

Gilmour looked like he could make it but hes fading out badly. 

Epl youth set ups have been completely useless in developing our young players.

I suppose you could argue that rangers havent exactly produced loads of young players either and havent done much in terms of playing young scottish players. 

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Would they? Have we had any young players that have gone to epl youth setups and then gone onto a career at epl level?

Gilmour looked like he could make it but hes fading out badly. 

Epl youth set ups have been completely useless in developing our young players.

I suppose you could argue that rangers havent exactly produced loads of young players either and havent done much in terms of playing young scottish players. 

Bit early to say in my opinion. It’s only in last 2/3 years that we’ve seen a lot of 16/17 year olds move down south due to brexit not allowing Europeans that age moving to England and so it will be 2 or 3 years yet to see if it was the right move for the likes of Rory Wilson, Kerr Smith, Charlie McArthur, Dire Mebude etc