Scottish player transfers - Page 177 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Guest Scot1
On 6/21/2022 at 8:19 AM, ProudScot said:

Villa will want huge money and is McGinn a champions league level player? Maybe he is but maybe not.

In my opinion McGinn is easily good enough for the Champions League. I think McGinn on the right side of a front 3 in a 4/3/3 is good enough to play in just about any team. He’d be perfect for Liverpool at this moment in time. 

19 hours ago, Scot1 said:

In my opinion McGinn is easily good enough for the Champions League. I think McGinn on the right side of a front 3 in a 4/3/3 is good enough to play in just about any team. He’d be perfect for Liverpool at this moment in time. 

He might be it’s tricky to say isn’t it. Hopefully his next move is a step up though and one where he would get plenty game time. I’m not sure he would at Liverpool. 

19 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Liverpools wide men have pace and the ability to go past a defender. McGinn has neither. If he played out wide all a defender would have to do is not commit but get close enough to stop the cross.

The reason that McGinn is so good in a more central role is that his base is strong and he is good at linking play. He is a similar style to Shakiri when he was at Liverpool or Coutinho. Neither of whom were successful playing on the wing.

I suspect the reason he may now be available is Villa's purchase of Coutinho who plays in McGinns preffered role and clearly is seen as an upgrade.

Id like to see him move to Spurs as they dont have anybody obviously better in that position.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:39 PM, mccaughey85 said:

That was about 5 years ago, 8m then is probably 11/12m now. Robertson also had spent 2 seasons in the epl and 1 in the championship. 

It would be strange for a guy who cost 4m and has only played 1 season in the spfl to get into the liverpool first team regularly. Saying that i do rate the lad so maybe klopp does and hopes to give him a chance.

Due to inflation or inflation of the market? £8m in c.2018 is around £8.6m now.

Inflation in the market is harder to judge but 50% in 5 years seems somewhat high.

Edited by Scots_Wha_Hae

20 hours ago, scotlad said:

Potentially an excellent move for him. 👍

Can't he? I remember him featuring regularly until his injury.

I wonder if he is physically robust enough to play in England, or at least to be as effective? I wouldn't say, and please correct me if I am wrong as I don't watch him nearly as much as others, that he strikes me as being elite level for athleticism either.

He technique isn't in doubt for me though, he is certainly good enough in that respect.

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Due to inflation or inflation of the market? £8m in c.2018 is around £8.6m now.

Inflation in the market is harder to judge but 50% in 5 years seems somewhat high.

Normal inflation and inflation in football transfer fees and wages are not anywhere near the same. Football transfers have risen exponentially since probably the 90s maybe even earlier. 

A player worth 3m in the early 90s might be worth 25m or more these days. 

Alan shearer was 15m in 1996. Today he would probably be at least a 100m. Thats nearly an increase of 7.

5 years isnt a long time but i still reckon 8m would be near 11/12m today such is the craziness of growth in transfer fees.

Guest Scot1
4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He might be it’s tricky to say isn’t it. Hopefully his next move is a step up though and one where he would get plenty game time. I’m not sure he would at Liverpool. 

At this moment in time, I believe McGinn would be ideal on the right of Liverpools front 3. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s good enough to play Champions League football and he’s good enough to play for a top team IF he’s played in a certain role and IF the team plays a certain style.

Guest Scot1
4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Liverpools wide men have pace and the ability to go past a defender. McGinn has neither. If he played out wide all a defender would have to do is not commit but get close enough to stop the cross.

The reason that McGinn is so good in a more central role is that his base is strong and he is good at linking play. He is a similar style to Shakiri when he was at Liverpool or Coutinho. Neither of whom were successful playing on the wing.

I suspect the reason he may now be available is Villa's purchase of Coutinho who plays in McGinns preffered role and clearly is seen as an upgrade.

Id like to see him move to Spurs as they dont have anybody obviously better in that position.

Liverpool don’t play with “Wingers”, they play with “Inside Forwards”, there is a difference. 
McGinn is not a “Playmaker”, he’s an “Inside Forward” or a “2nd Striker”. 
And at this moment in time, as Liverpool switch to a more “Direct” style of attack, McGinn would be ideal. That’s my opinion. You play McGinn on either side of a “Striker” in a 4/3/3, I think he prefers the right but is more than capable of switching and roaming when the opportunity arises. Or you play him off the “Striker” as a “2nd Striker” in a 4/4/2 (4/4/1/1) or 3/5/2 (3/5/1/1)

Edited by Scot1

4 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I wonder if he is physically robust enough to play in England, or at least to be as effective? I wouldn't say, and please correct me if I am wrong as I don't watch him nearly as much as others, that he strikes me as being elite level for athleticism either.

He technique isn't in doubt for me though, he is certainly good enough in that respect.

He's 6ft 1in so there are no issues there but I know what you mean, he is slightly injury prone (mind you, so is Kieran Tierney!) and he seems a wee bit one-paced.

Considering the position he plays blistering pace is a bonus rather than a necessity though, but you do need to have a good work-rate and I'm not sure he does. I don't watch him every week so maybe that isn't fair but it's maybe telling that he hasn't seen more game time at international level.

Technically he's good enough to cut it down there, and his stats (goals and assists) are excellent.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:14 PM, ProudScot said:

You’d think someone who can’t get a game for Celtic would struggle to get a game for a top end EPL team. Squad option though I guess possibly. 

Turnbull won Celtic's player and young player of the year award in 20/21, despite only playing half a season. Last year he played virtually every game up until his bad injury half way through the season and still finished up on 10 goals and 7 assists. Paraphrasing a quote from Ange, "Turnbull can be as good as he wants to be. Nothing is holding him back from reaching the top except himself". I couldn't find the quote, but it was something along those lines.

It's mad that I and others still need to defend him. If he didn't play in the same position as McGinn (and Armstrong) he'd be used far more frequently for Scotland. 

Only 22. His time will come. Neither McGinn, nor Armstrong were guaranteed starters for Scotland at 22.

Guest Scot1
20 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

s mad that I and others still need to defend him. If he didn't play in the same position as McGinn (and Armstrong) he'd be used far more frequently for Scotland

Think he’ll be played in a deeper midfield role compared to Armstrong or McGinn. 
He’s competing for MacGregors position, in my opinion, in central midfield beside Gilmour and hopefully McTominay and a defensive, sitting midfielder (Tierney, Campbell?) 

And hopefully it won’t be too long before he takes over from MacGregor, he has the potential to be a better player than him.

something like

Turnbull Gilmour  McTom

Tierney/Campbell

Thats a midfield 4 that could play together for a good number of years. 

Edited by Scot1

28 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Think he’ll be played in a deeper midfield role compared to Armstrong or McGinn. 
He’s competing for MacGregors position, in my opinion, in central midfield beside Gilmour and hopefully McTominay and a defensive, sitting midfielder (Tierney, Campbell?) 

And hopefully it won’t be too long before he takes over from MacGregor, he has the potential to be a better player than him.

something like

Turnbull Gilmour  McTom

Tierney/Campbell

Thats a midfield 4 that could play together for a good number of years. 

I have to disagree with you there. Turnbull almost always plays alongside McGregor, but with McGregor as the holding midfielder, and Turnbull more attacking. Yes, I can see Turnbull playing in a midfield 4, but not in the same role as McGregor. Frankly, he'd be wasted as a holding/defensive mid. He is far more similar to McGinn and Armstrong than he is McGregor.

Also, where has this sudden clamour to have Tierney in midfield come from? I've seen multiple posters putting him in midfield - somewhere he has never played.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I have to disagree with you there. Turnbull almost always plays alongside McGregor, but with McGregor as the holding midfielder, and Turnbull more attacking. Yes, I can see Turnbull playing in a midfield 4, but not in the same role as McGregor. Frankly, he'd be wasted as a holding/defensive mid. He is far more similar to McGinn and Armstrong than he is McGregor.

Also, where has this sudden clamour to have Tierney in midfield come from? I've seen multiple posters putting him in midfield - somewhere he has never played.

There are some people who genuinely believe that because something works in a video game, then it must be able to work in real life.

I don't want to see Tierney playing in midfield.

Guest Scot1
7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Turnbull would be playing as a more offensive midfielder in the lineup I showed. Gilmour as playmaker, Tierney / Campbell as holding, defensive. McTominay as box to box. That’s a well balanced, young, talented midfield. 

Guest Scot1
13 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

There are some people who genuinely believe that because something works in a video game, then it must be able to work in real life.

It’s all about opinions, but that I believe Tierney could play midfield and would excel in the role. And it’s my belief that at this moment in time our midfield isn’t functioning, nowhere near its potential.

But I’m open to other possibilities, perhaps Hickey could play there or even young Ramsay. He started in midfield and in his interview with Liverpool tv stated he’d be happy to play there. It is possible for good, intelligent footballers to play in more than one position. 
But I believe we do need a holding, defensive midfielder, to give protection to our defence and provide a platform for the likes of Gilmour, Turnbull, McTominay etc

Edited by Scot1

17 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, we've plenty of midfielders as it is. Tierney is an excellent left-back and a very effective left CB in a back three.

Guest Scot1
Just now, scotlad said:

Aye, we've plenty of midfielders as it is. Tierney is an excellent left-back and a very effective left CB in a back three.

Our midfield isn’t working against half decent teams. 
If we set up the same way against Ukraine and Ireland, I think we will struggle again. Because our midfield was overrun

10 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

We cant take who is likely our best player and move him out of position,  especially in defence which the last month has demonstrated we severely need him.

So we play a back 3 for ever?

We have already moved him out of position to do that and it is not too far a stretch to suggest he could play in a defensive midfield role. I would say he is our best all round player and easily the most versatile.

If you think about it we are playing nearly all our players out of position by playing a back three as it is. The last three games prove we cant continue with the formation without Tierney,perhaps it would be better to change the formation rather than base it on his availability.

Some people might think playing a left back at center back only works in computer games others might look at a players all round skills and realise there are other positions he might be able to play at a higher level than others currently available.

Not sure how many of us have blanked out the Armenia game yet, but for those that have we were very lucky to only let in one goal.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So we play a back 3 for ever?

We have already moved him out of position to do that and it is not too far a stretch to suggest he could play in a defensive midfield role. I would say he is our best all round player and easily the most versatile.

If you think about it we are playing nearly all our players out of position by playing a back three as it is. The last three games prove we cant continue with the formation without Tierney,perhaps it would be better to change the formation rather than base it on his availability.

Some people might think playing a left back at center back only works in computer games others might look at a players all round skills and realise there are other positions he might be able to play at a higher level than others currently available.

Not sure how many of us have blanked out the Armenia game yet, but for those that have we were very lucky to only let in one goal.

Quite a big difference between something working on Football Manager and in reality.

Also, if we went ahead and tried it, the people calling for it to happen will be the first to scream and bitch when it inevitably doesn't work out.

Tierney in midfield is a fucking stupid idea.

Guest Scot1
8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Quite a big difference between something working on Football Manager and in reality.

Also, if we went ahead and tried it, the people calling for it to happen will be the first to scream and bitch when it inevitably doesn't work out.

Tierney in midfield is a fucking stupid idea.

Lol, ok mate, let’s just keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results.

And do the forum a favour mate and try to be civil with other posters. This is a forum to chat and discuss football, ideas etc. I’m sure everyone on here welcomes debate, differing opinions etc. No need for personal insults, swearing etc. 

6 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Lol, ok mate, let’s just keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results.

And do the forum a favour mate and try to be civil with other posters. This is a forum to chat and discuss football, ideas etc. I’m sure everyone on here welcomes debate, differing opinions etc. No need for personal insults, swearing etc. 

Frequently proposing daft ideas can get on people's nerves. Thinking outside the box is fine but it must have at least some grounding in reality, otherwise it's just bloody stupid and wasting time.

A former poster on here used to wage a tireless crusade to play Robertson as a midfield anchorman and McTominay as a striker .....

Guest Scot1
3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Frequently proposing daft ideas can get on people's nerves. Thinking outside the box is fine but it must have at least some grounding in reality, otherwise it's just bloody stupid and wasting time.

A former poster on here used to wage a tireless crusade to play Robertson as a midfield anchorman and McTominay as a striker .....

Trying out Tierney as a defensive midfielder is hardly outrageous. 
Plenty of players less intelligent and talented than Tierney have made similar moves and been successful. 
Ok, give me 1 reason why Tierney could not play as a defensive midfielder. 

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

Trying out Tierney as a defensive midfielder is hardly outrageous. 
Plenty of players less intelligent and talented than Tierney have made similar moves and been successful. 
Ok, give me 1 reason why Tierney could not play as a defensive midfielder. 

I have extreme reservations about Tierney being comfortable in central midfield and believe it would weaken our already fragile defence.

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I have extreme reservations about Tierney being comfortable in central midfield and believe it would weaken our already fragile defence.

I think it would take him time to adjust, but I think he’s a very intelligent footballer. Which is why I think he could do it but not Robertson, for example. I think Tierney has a better “football” brain than Robertson.  
Another who is clearly a very intelligent footballer is McGinn, which gives him the ability to play a number of positions well. McTominay on the other hand isn’t, he can play his position and that’s it. And I’m a big fan of McTominay. It’s just some people seem to be wired (in the brain) to be able to see the whole game and be versatile and others not so much. 
Again I’m not slandering Robertson or McTominay, I’m a great admirer of both. I’m not saying they aren’t intelligent, just in a football sense, they aren’t as versatile. They can’t adjust like McGinn or I believe Tierney. 
Armstrong is another who is obviously has a clever football brain and can play various positions. And I’m not his biggest admirer, but I can see that he has a good overall understanding of the game.