Scottish player transfers - Page 176 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

On 6/18/2022 at 8:30 PM, Hertsscot said:

Depends who they replace them with but if I was an Aberdeen fan I'd be worried. Very much doubt Ferguson will be away for £1.5 million though, he'll go for more than that as I'm sure other clubs will be interested.

I can't see AFC taking 1.5m for Ferguson, if they get that fee up to £2m I would take it. Fergusons head isn;t at Aberdeen anymore, his mouth piece dad made that very clear because his gentlemens agreement with his best mate Mcinness wasn't honoured by Cormack. Ferguson wants to move but thankfully Aberdeen won't let him walk for peanuts. Ferguson can be replaced

On 6/19/2022 at 8:28 PM, Diamond Scot said:

The transfer fee has little to do with the squad status of the buying club.

The reason Patterson went for double (other than the points raised above) is that he will have been on at least double the wages and Rangers could afford to hold out for much more money.

If Everton bid 5 million for Patterson ans Rangers turned it down then Patterson couldnt really complain / cause problems as he would already be getting the wages of a 5 million type player. Ramsey at Aberdeen wouldnt have been so the 1st thing his agent would have been saying to Aberdeen is, if you think he is currently worth more than 5 million then we expect a new contract reflecting that. Thats how football works and given Aberdeen wouldnt be able to afford said wage, they have no real option but to sell for the best price they can get.

awa ye go with your sensible shite on here

On 6/19/2022 at 8:15 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Point still stands, if liverpool want a back up for trent then aberdeen should be getting at least a few million more upfront. Guys who cost 4m tend not to get into the liverpool first team. 

there are add ons to the transfer fee, I would assume those will include first team appearances. At the moment Liverpool have signed a back up players for £4.5m.....................some reports say the add ons are up to £3.5m. So if he becomes a first team players or reaches a certain number of appearances, it is likely Aberdeen could receive more money.

Personally I see this as a great thing, one of the best teams in the world has just signed a young scottish player with bags of potential. This player will be working under a manager who is arguably the best in the world..............working with one of the best right backs in the world, working with some of the best in the world, working with the current scotland captain who's work rate is 2nd to none. 

8 hours ago, kumnio said:

Aston Villa open to selling McGinn apparently.

Would be good to see him move on, I can see Villa being shit next season under Gerrard.

McGinn had a fairly poor last third of the season, unsure who would be in for him/what would be a good move for him.

Villa will want huge money and is McGinn a champions league level player? Maybe he is but maybe not. 

11 hours ago, kumnio said:

Would be good to see him move on, I can see Villa being shit next season under Gerrard.

I have my doubts about the accuracy of that story. Not that he couldn’t be sold but the implication he is some kind of problem in the dressing room. Doesn’t ring true. 

13 hours ago, kumnio said:

Spurs have made an opening bid apparently. 

One of the most popular players in the dressing room I hear so the difficult to work with bit sounds like a problem with the  manger if true. 

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

there are add ons to the transfer fee, I would assume those will include first team appearances. At the moment Liverpool have signed a back up players for £4.5m.....................some reports say the add ons are up to £3.5m. So if he becomes a first team players or reaches a certain number of appearances, it is likely Aberdeen could receive more money.

Personally I see this as a great thing, one of the best teams in the world has just signed a young scottish player with bags of potential. This player will be working under a manager who is arguably the best in the world..............working with one of the best right backs in the world, working with some of the best in the world, working with the current scotland captain who's work rate is 2nd to none. 

Would have agreed with work rate before his jolly on a bus to celebrate 2 trophies won weeks earlier 3 days before our biggest world cup game in a generation. 

Ive said in other posts that the Ukraine team would have loved that. 

48 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Spurs have made an opening bid apparently. 

One of the most popular players in the dressing room I hear so the difficult to work with bit sounds like a problem with the  manger if true. 

It's rare to go through your working life and get on with everyone you work with or for, but if he was a problem to work with I doubt he'd have made it as far as he has. Neil Lennon, Gordon Strachan, Dean Smith and Steve Clarke had no apparent issues with him, and none of them strike me as the kind of men to suffer fools gladly. Genuine troublemakers usually get a name for themselves very quickly.

If he does go I'd like to see him go somewhere like Spurs. I think he'd fit in well with the way they play.

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Would have agreed with work rate before his jolly on a bus to celebrate 2 trophies won weeks earlier 3 days before our biggest world cup game in a generation. 

Ive said in other posts that the Ukraine team would have loved that. 

he had a couple of beers

I actually think it's time for McGinn to leave Villa.

He's been playing as a defensive midfielder for two seasons at Villa and that is not his best position.

There's a chance he'll go to a club where they will play him in his preferred attacking midfield position.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:28 PM, Diamond Scot said:

The transfer fee has little to do with the squad status of the buying club.

The reason Patterson went for double (other than the points raised above) is that he will have been on at least double the wages and Rangers could afford to hold out for much more money.

If Everton bid 5 million for Patterson ans Rangers turned it down then Patterson couldnt really complain / cause problems as he would already be getting the wages of a 5 million type player. Ramsey at Aberdeen wouldnt have been so the 1st thing his agent would have been saying to Aberdeen is, if you think he is currently worth more than 5 million then we expect a new contract reflecting that. Thats how football works and given Aberdeen wouldnt be able to afford said wage, they have no real option but to sell for the best price they can get.

Thats a fair point but i still struggle to see ramsay getting much gametime. Its a big jump to go from spfl to a top epl team at 18 years old. Hope he makes it as he seems to have potential.

20 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Robertson was £8m (up front) from Hull and went became a first team regular. Liverpool wouldn't've signed him if they didn't think he could do a job, either within the next season or two. The fact the talk is he'll be involved with the first team squad is suggests they believe he's good enough now to be a backup option for Trent Alexander-Arnold.

The selling club determines the value at which they're willing to sell a player - which is why when a club needs money, they sell players for below the typical market rate for players of the player's quality. A buying club isn't going to offer more money out of sympathy in the same way no-one here would pay more for a product in a shop if you believe the shop has undervalued the item.

That was about 5 years ago, 8m then is probably 11/12m now. Robertson also had spent 2 seasons in the epl and 1 in the championship. 

It would be strange for a guy who cost 4m and has only played 1 season in the spfl to get into the liverpool first team regularly. Saying that i do rate the lad so maybe klopp does and hopes to give him a chance.

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

That was about 5 years ago, 8m then is probably 11/12m now. Robertson also had spent 2 seasons in the epl and 1 in the championship. 

It would be strange for a guy who cost 4m and has only played 1 season in the spfl to get into the liverpool first team regularly. Saying that i do rate the lad so maybe klopp does and hopes to give him a chance.

Conor Bradley who is a N.Ireland international right back and similar age to Ramsay has just gone on a year long loan to Bolton, so he won't be in Ramsay's path for 2022/3.

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Conor Bradley who is a N.Ireland international right back and similar age to Ramsay has just gone on a year long loan to Bolton, so he won't be in Ramsay's path for 2022/3.

Yeh looking at liverpools squad there doesnt seem to be much competition at right back unless liverpool intend on buying another right back to be back up for trent.

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh looking at liverpools squad there doesnt seem to be much competition at right back unless liverpool intend on buying another right back to be back up for trent.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out. I wonder if you buy a youngster like Ramsay whether you actually don't want to send them out on loan, so that you can see your new signing first hand, work day in day out with your coaches etc.

4 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Did he even need to be there? Not a lot to give up considering the dedication the Ukrainians were showing to get organised the best they could. 

Maybe his employers didn't give him a choice. Maybe Clarke said to go

Do you think it would've made Any different if he went up earlier. Robertson knows his role in the team and he would know exactly what is expected of him

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Maybe his employers didn't give him a choice. Maybe Clarke said to go

Do you think it would've made Any different if he went up earlier. Robertson knows his role in the team and he would know exactly what is expected of him

Any difference to the result? Definitely not. The defending for first goal was schoolboy stuff and 1st goal crucial in big games.

My main point is the Ukranian coaches and players must have all seen our captain and highest profile player with cans in hand partying on a bus 3 days before this huge game and what do you think their reaction to seeing it was? Im presuming they weren't too unhappy about it. 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats a fair point but i still struggle to see ramsay getting much gametime. Its a big jump to go from spfl to a top epl team at 18 years old. Hope he makes it as he seems to have potential.

I think its all relative. 4.5 million for Liverpool is about the equivilent of 250k for the Old Firm. Nobody would bat an eye at the Old Firm buying a young prospect for that, even if they are never heard of again.

Its pretty much a no lose situation for Liverpool. Bring him in and see how he progresses. If he doesnt meet the standard then theres a good chance he will go on loan to a championship club or league 1 club. All of whom could easily pay a couple of million to turn into a permament deal.

Absolute worst case scenario they lose 4.5 million which wont make a dent.

However if he goes on to become a good back up to TAA then 7.5 million is a steal for their budget. If he becomes good enough to become 1st choice then they could move TAA on for 60 odd million and will have won a watch.

Likewise for Ramsey its pretty much a no brainer. Even if he never gets 1 single minute for the 1st team he will have a very healthy career and be a wealthy man. 

8 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Any difference to the result? Definitely not. The defending for first goal was schoolboy stuff and 1st goal crucial in big games.

My main point is the Ukranian coaches and players must have all seen our captain and highest profile player with cans in hand partying on a bus 3 days before this huge game and what do you think their reaction to seeing it was? Im presuming they weren't too unhappy about it. 

I don't think the Ukrainians would have given the slightest fuck. 

51 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Read this morning Turnbull possibly going to West Ham, £9 million

You’d think someone who can’t get a game for Celtic would struggle to get a game for a top end EPL team. Squad option though I guess possibly. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Read this morning Turnbull possibly going to West Ham, £9 million

Potentially an excellent move for him. 👍

47 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

You’d think someone who can’t get a game for Celtic would struggle to get a game for a top end EPL team. Squad option though I guess possibly. 

Can't he? I remember him featuring regularly until his injury.

Guest Scot1
23 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I actually think it's time for McGinn to leave Villa.

He's been playing as a defensive midfielder for two seasons at Villa and that is not his best position.

There's a chance he'll go to a club where they will play him in his preferred attacking midfield position.

I agree, stick McGinn on the right side of a front 3 in a 4/3/3 and he will cause havoc. 
If I were Liverpool and I was looking to replace Salah or give him competition, McGinn would be perfect. Especially with their new striker Darwin Nunez, who seems like a more orthodox, out and out striker. McGinn would give him lots of assists and he’d  also get a few goals himself. 

Edited by Scot1

Guest Scot1
1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

He’s only 22 years old, he’s maturing nicely.