Scottish player transfers - Page 171 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 minute ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Arsenal will play 44 games this season 

Yeh this season. Most seasons they will be 60 plus easy. 38 league games plus maybe 12 games in europe. Then maybe 12 between the league and fa cup. Most seasons they go far in comps so it can be near 70. 

Sorry if it's already been discussed but I've not caught up with this thread.

Chat that the young ,talented Aberdeen right back (who's name I've forgotten) has been linked with Liverpool and other clubs

in England ?

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol i doubt it. Arsenal will probably be offering a decent wedge to the agent plus hickeys wages will probably be tripled at arsenal.

You're right. I hadn't really thought it through in cold money terms.

11 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

With Hickey he did turn down Bayern to go to Bologna as he wanted to play first team football. I doubt he'd go to a club where he'd only play 30/40% of the time and potentially stall his career. 

Also a good point. (Maybe he'll end up staying a Bologna for this very reason? Will be interesting to see what happens).

Looks like yet another Rangers youth player is leaving at the very first opportunity. Rory Wilson, who I think is the only striker of any real potential I've heard of coming through in the last few years. Only 16, so we'll see if he fulfills his promise. 

There must be a reason so many youths are leaving Rangers. 

43 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Looks like yet another Rangers youth player is leaving at the very first opportunity. Rory Wilson, who I think is the only striker of any real potential I've heard of coming through in the last few years. Only 16, so we'll see if he fulfills his promise. 

There must be a reason so many youths are leaving Rangers. 

Money?

37 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Money?

That will certainly make the decision to leave easier. If they have no realistic pathway into the senior squad early, then why not leave for more money and (potentially) better facilities and coaching.

Gio does seem to be more on it when it comes to youth development. I'll be curious to see the game time Lowry gets next season. But when your team are offering contracts to guys in their late 30s, it doesn't exactly encourage you to stay.

13 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

That will certainly make the decision to leave easier. If they have no realistic pathway into the senior squad early, then why not leave for more money and (potentially) better facilities and coaching.

Gio does seem to be more on it when it comes to youth development. I'll be curious to see the game time Lowry gets next season. But when your team are offering contracts to guys in their late 30s, it doesn't exactly encourage you to stay.

Realistically Wilson must be a couple of years away from anyone's first team, there's very few youngsters (17-19 y.o.) who will be in first team squads at big clubs.  I am encouraged that Gio seems more willing to give youngsters a chance and I'd expect to see more of Lowry and King next season.  What does worry me is Rangers don't seem to have a  striker younger than mid-20s. which was clearly demonstrated with having to play Aribo up front.  In days gone by Derek Parlane, Derek Johnstone scored key goals when they were youngsters but, Wilson apart, the cupboard appears bare but that is true of other clubs as well, just seems to be a shortage of out and out goalscorers or focal points for an attack.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Realistically Wilson must be a couple of years away from anyone's first team, there's very few youngsters (17-19 y.o.) who will be in first team squads at big clubs.  I am encouraged that Gio seems more willing to give youngsters a chance and I'd expect to see more of Lowry and King next season.  What does worry me is Rangers don't seem to have a  striker younger than mid-20s. which was clearly demonstrated with having to play Aribo up front.  In days gone by Derek Parlane, Derek Johnstone scored key goals when they were youngsters but, Wilson apart, the cupboard appears bare but that is true of other clubs as well, just seems to be a shortage of out and out goalscorers or focal points for an attack.

18 year old Robbie Ure has a chance, and to my eyes has a better all round game than Wilson. 6ft 4in and heavily built. Good technique and fairly prolific. 

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Hence why the OF tend to import their strikers, I guess. 😕

After seeing Wilson play in that U17 tournament it's clear that he has something but - in my completely non-expert opinion! - he still looked some way off the standard required to play first team football, especially for a club like Rangers where you're expected to hit the ground running.

It's been so long since a young Scottish striker really exploded onto the scene. Was Tony Watt the last one that got everyone excited? And that was 10 years ago now. I can't think of anyone else that even came close.

Nisbet is showing promise, but his was more of a gentle trickle, rather than an explosion.

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It's been so long since a young Scottish striker really exploded onto the scene. Was Tony Watt the last one that got everyone excited? And that was 10 years ago now. I can't think of anyone else that even came close.

Nisbet is showing promise, but his was more of a gentle trickle, rather than an explosion.

A few years back there was a lot of excitement around youngster Robbie Foy on the grounds that he was on Liverpool's books. He sunk without trace.

I wondered about the young players at big clubs statement so I had a quick look at Englands big clubs. Just by a quick check of players who were getting regular game time by age 19:

Man City: Zinchecko and Foden

Liverpool: Gomez, Jones, Trent Alexander Arnold and Elliott

Chelsea: Loftus cheek, mount, hudson adoi and James

Man Utd: Rashford, Greenwood and Elanga

When checking I was actually surprised how many players were regulars by the age of about 21 over and above those listed above.

There is zero reason why teams cant play youth. Especially at the Old Firm where they dominate most matches. Rangers showed it a couple of weeks back by playing a 2nd string side with many youngsters and still beating hearts away from home. Guys like Lowry and King should be the 1st subs brought on at home to sides like Dundee when already 2 goals up but what we see time and time again is guys like Arfield and Davis coming on.

No wonder youth move away at the 1st opportunity. Patterson is the only youth player to come through in recent years and even then he only got played when Taviner got injured. 

52 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I wondered about the young players at big clubs statement so I had a quick look at Englands big clubs. Just by a quick check of players who were getting regular game time by age 19:

When checking I was actually surprised how many players were regulars by the age of about 21 over and above those listed above.

There is zero reason why teams cant play youth. Especially at the Old Firm where they dominate most matches. Rangers showed it a couple of weeks back by playing a 2nd string side with many youngsters and still beating hearts away from home. Guys like Lowry and King should be the 1st subs brought on at home to sides like Dundee when already 2 goals up but what we see time and time again is guys like Arfield and Davis coming on.

No wonder youth move away at the 1st opportunity. Patterson is the only youth player to come through in recent years and even then he only got played when Taviner got injured. 

Yeah all very true.

Patterson still barely played too.

There are promising signs at Rangers now though under GVB. See how next season goes but both King and Lowry look potentially very very good, even Gilmour level of good. 

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah all very true.

There are promising signs at Rangers now though under GVB. See how next season goes but both King and Lowry look potentially very very good, even Gilmour level of good. 

We've been here before. Gerrard showed signs of playing young players but didn't as soon as he didnt have to

I don't thing GVB will play them, he will sign more players and put them down the pecking order.

52 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yeah all very true.

I really hope you are correct but just out of interest what signs are you seeing that GVB will be any different to previous managers?

Take Lowry as an example given he is probably Rangers best young player atm. He was on the bench for a home cup game against Stirling Albion, came on because Hagi got injured, scored and got motm. He then started the following league game at home to Livi and again got motm. This was end of January. He didnt then appear in the Premiership until 8th May as a sub against Dundee Utd where he played 25 mins. In between that time he played 29 mins as a sub away to Annan and 4 mins as a sub away to Dundee, both in the cup.

He then started and starred in 2 games at the end of the season once the league was lost but didnt get any further minutes in meaningful games.

What evidence in the above suggests that Lowry will get meaningful game time next season. Especially as Arfield has signed a contract extention and talks are ongoing with Davis.

The job at Rangers is not to develop youth talent but to win things.  If rangers bring through a player like Lowry then that is merely a happy coincidence. If the talent they are bringing through is better than those they can go and buy they will get games.

it’s different at lesser clubs.  For example had a whole business model based on bringing through and selling talented youngsters.

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

At the risk of angering some, are young players at Rangers in a footballing standard context really breaking through at a 'big' club. There is a world of difference between breaking through at Man City and Rangers. Clearly Rangers have some excellent footballers towards the top of the European game on their books to have just reached a European final, but their day job is to play in the SPFL which is a much lower standard. Man City youngsters have to be good enough to at least play against a Norwich team containing 3 Scotland internationals one of which is arguably our best youth prospect in 20+ years. Rangers youngsters have to be good enough to play against Dundee. Surely there is a space to bring young players through who are of a sufficient level to be comfortable against Dundee, especially if you aspire for them to be one day comfortable enough to play against Europe's best?

Should be commended. Zero point in staying in Scotland when you have the  opportunity to go to one of the top leagues and be at the top of your profession, should grab it with both hands. Let’s face it some of the Scot Prem is dire, about as good as English league 1. If it turns out he isn’t good enough and comes back then so be it,  such is life. Got to take the chance.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

We've been here before. Gerrard showed signs of playing young players but didn't as soon as he didnt have to

I don't thing GVB will play them, he will sign more players and put them down the pecking order.

You're especially right regarding the goalkeepers. Many have been holding onto hope that when McGregor retires, McLaughlin will take the jersey. With McRorie initially being the back up. 2 decent Scottish goalkeepers that look like they could be Scotland squad players in the future. But there are already rumours circulating of a new keeper being signed. McRorie at the very least needs to move on asap.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

I really hope you are correct but just out of interest what signs are you seeing that GVB will be any different to previous managers?

Take Lowry as an example given he is probably Rangers best young player atm. He was on the bench for a home cup game against Stirling Albion, came on because Hagi got injured, scored and got motm. He then started the following league game at home to Livi and again got motm. This was end of January. He didnt then appear in the Premiership until 8th May as a sub against Dundee Utd where he played 25 mins. In between that time he played 29 mins as a sub away to Annan and 4 mins as a sub away to Dundee, both in the cup.

He then started and starred in 2 games at the end of the season once the league was lost but didnt get any further minutes in meaningful games.

What evidence in the above suggests that Lowry will get meaningful game time next season. Especially as Arfield has signed a contract extention and talks are ongoing with Davis.

The embarrassing loan signing of Ramsey almost certainly coincided with him getting less game time. That must have stung a little when that signing was announced.

Edited by Tartan blood

45 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

The job at Rangers is not to develop youth talent but to win things.  If rangers bring through a player like Lowry then that is merely a happy coincidence. If the talent they are bringing through is better than those they can go and buy they will get games.

it’s different at lesser clubs.  For example had a whole business model based on bringing through and selling talented youngsters.

I agree with the first sentence but that is about it. As others have pointed out when played Lowry has impressed with MOTM performances, goals and assists. Can the same be said of ancient Steven Davis who they are happy to give out another contract to even though he is closer to 40 than 30 or Scott Arfield - also to be given a new contract? And Rangers have spent recently and bought dross such as Itten so it is no guarantee it is no way forward.

Manchester United made an unbeatable team out of home grown players in the 1990s so it can work.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Nobody said their job was to develop youth

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree with the first sentence but that is about it. As others have pointed out when played Lowry has impressed with MOTM performances, goals and assists. Can the same be said of ancient Steven Davis who they are happy to give out another contract to even though he is closer to 40 than 30 or Scott Arfield - also to be given a new contract? And Rangers have spent recently and bought dross such as Itten so it is no guarantee it is no way forward.

Manchester United made an unbeatable team out of home grown players in the 1990s so it can work.

Spot on