Scottish player transfers - Page 170 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

7 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Gilmour to rangers rumours again , thought it was Fulham or Bournemouth but I suppose if they were interested they don’t want a repeat of the Norwich situation .

not ideal unless Rangers get another run in Europe or better champions league.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is not a matter of writing it off per se. If it is done and dusted nothing can be done. However, it is bad for the Scottish national team potentially if Tierney remains and is competing with Hickey for a spot in the side. Twenty games a season is a backward step for him. He needs a move into a side where he is guaranteed first team football getting upwards of 40 games a season.

Tierneys injured that often that hickey could easily get games at arsenal plus if hickey can cover at right back then hes bound to get near 30+ appearances easy. Arsenal must play nearly 70 games a season, plenty of chances for hickey.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tierneys injured that often that hickey could easily get games at arsenal plus if hickey can cover at right back then hes bound to get near 30+ appearances easy. Arsenal must play nearly 70 games a season, plenty of chances for hickey.

All supposition and on the assumption of injured Tierney which is bad news we do not want. For this to be a good move for Scotland one of two things must happen. Tierney leaves Arsenal or they play Hickey elsewhere in the side avoiding Tierney being dropped.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

All supposition and on the assumption of injured Tierney which is bad news we do not want. For this to be a good move for Scotland one of two things must happen. Tierney leaves Arsenal or they play Hickey elsewhere in the side avoiding Tierney being dropped.

Its not assumption or supposition. Tierney is injured alot. Hes unreliable, if he wasnt injured so much he would be at a better club than arsenal. Even if tierney stays injury free hickey could still get nearly 20 starts and probably nearer 30 if he can cover right back. Personally i would prefer him to stay at bologna another season as its been great for his career but a chance at playing for a club like arsenal and playing european football. Probably being offered at least double or treble his wages so really its a no brainer for hickey.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Its not assumption or supposition. Tierney is injured alot. Hes unreliable, if he wasnt injured so much he would be at a better club than arsenal. Even if tierney stays injury free hickey could still get nearly 20 starts and probably nearer 30 if he can cover right back. Personally i would prefer him to stay at bologna another season as its been great for his career but a chance at playing for a club like arsenal and playing european football. Probably being offered at least double or treble his wages so really its a no brainer for hickey.

It is a calamity for Scotland though.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is a calamity for Scotland though.

Is it? We have tierney and robertson at lb. Hickeys not a key player for us yet. Hes looked promising so he could potentially be important in the future but until that happens he isnt really a massive loss.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is it? We have tierney and robertson at lb. Hickeys not a key player for us yet. Hes looked promising so he could potentially be important in the future but until that happens he isnt really a massive loss.

You are avoiding key facts such as:-

He will be competing with Tierney for a place in the side. 

If Tierney plays no game for Hickey and vice versa which is bad news for Scotland. There is no avoiding that unless Tierney moves on or Hickey is being earmarked for another slot in the side.

Arsenal have fallen over the years from the golden years early in Wenger's time and Arteta has been under pressure already this season. They could implode at any time.

I cannot believe Arsenal were the only side in for him as the press were linking him to several clubs including AC Milan. Far sooner he had moved elsewhere where he was not competing with a fellow Scotland international for first team football. As you said I'd even sooner seen him remain at Bologna.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are avoiding key facts such as:-

He will be competing with Tierney for a place in the side. 

If Tierney plays no game for Hickey and vice versa which is bad news for Scotland. There is no avoiding that unless Tierney moves on or Hickey is being earmarked for another slot in the side.

Arsenal have fallen over the years from the golden years early in Wenger's time and Arteta has been under pressure already this season. They could implode at any time.

I cannot believe Arsenal were the only side in for him as the press were linking him to several clubs including AC Milan. Far sooner he had moved elsewhere where he was not competing with a fellow Scotland international for first team football. As you said I'd even sooner seen him remain at Bologna.

Arsenal play something like 70 games a season, they need at least 2 players for every position. 

Arsenal are still a big step up from bologna plus a massive hike in wages as well. Its a great opportunity for hickey and a chance to shine at a higher level and play with better players, hopefull it works out for him.

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Arsenal play something like 70 games a season, they need at least 2 players for every position. 

Arsenal are still a big step up from bologna plus a massive hike in wages as well. Its a great opportunity for hickey and a chance to shine at a higher level and play with better players, hopefull it works out for him.

Good point.

Also, Arteta seems like the kind of coach that isn't afraid to try things. I have hunch that he'll find a way to get both Hickey and Tierney on the pitch at the same time (just like Steve Clarke found a way to play both Robertson and Tierney in the Scotland team).

21 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Agree. We don't really want our players to be playing 40 plus games for their clubs as there is more chance of injury/burnout.

4 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

According to BBC, Brentford in prime position to sign Hickey.

To be honest I'd sooner see that.

I was reading an article on the Just Arsenal page yesterday pop pop Hickey saying Nuno Tavares has better all-round stats than Hickey. It was questioning his signing.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To be honest I'd sooner see that.

I was reading an article on the Just Arsenal page yesterday pop pop Hickey saying Nuno Tavares has better all-round stats than Hickey. It was questioning his signing.

Should be poo poo not pop pop. Auto-corrects fault.

54 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd much rather Hickey stayed in Italy.

Never fond of the Idea playing abroad is as important as some people make out

Having got there at a young age and impressing as he has, another couple of years in Italy would be no bad thing. If he got the right move then  a career in Italy would be interesting from our point of view. 

6 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

According to BBC, Brentford in prime position to sign Hickey.

Ppl might scoff at brentford but they are probably similar standard to bologna and he would be more likely to get starts there than arsenal. Couple of seasons at brentford then step up to a top 6 team if hes good enough.

8 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes that would be preferable to Arsenal who look like they've blown Champions League football.

I was thinking that. I just wonder if Hickey's agent suddenly got cold feet on the deal after Arsenal's loss last night?

10 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

I was thinking that. I just wonder if Hickey's agent suddenly got cold feet on the deal after Arsenal's loss last night?

Lol i doubt it. Arsenal will probably be offering a decent wedge to the agent plus hickeys wages will probably be tripled at arsenal.

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ppl might scoff at brentford but they are probably similar standard to bologna and he would be more likely to get starts there than arsenal. Couple of seasons at brentford then step up to a top 6 team if hes good enough.

I would not be worried if he signed for them. The Bees have done very well this season, though there have been a few clubs that have struggled in their second season after getting promoted.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:41 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Arsenal will play 44 games this season