Scottish player transfers - Page 169 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Subject to proposed moves.

Hickey back up to Tierney

Ramsey back up to TAA

Patterson back up to Coleman

Ashby back up to Coufal

Ralston back up to Juranovic.

O donnell on the bench(sorry cannot remember who is preferred at Motherwell).

Devine back up to Tavernier.

Plenty of talent available at RB just hope someone breaks out and plays regularly. Can actually see Ashby( was up for academy player of the year) going on loan and being the outsider with most gametime. Hickey due to being able to play at RB.

O'Donnell played agaisnt Celtic yesterday and has apparently been playing well lately. He did look decent going forward. 

Same goes for Ralston. He was excellent yesterday. Even with Juranovic the first choice, he still ended up with 30+ games this season. I'd be tempted to start him in a few games in June.

Even for Arsenal, €25m is a lot to spend on a back up. Perhaps they know he'll be playing on the right as much as the left. Or Arsenal will lean into the back 5 system Scotland play and have a Hickey/Tierney combo on the left. 

I wouldn’t be so quick to write off a move for Hickey to Arsenal.

Arsenal have missed Tierney a lot since his injury and will have identified left back as an area where they need to upgrade their backup as a priority. Tavares is a bit of a liability. So even if Tierney isn’t injured, given his injury record, Arsenal may be tempted to protect him more than other key players.

if Hickey also acts as a backup at right back, he could easily play 20 games (cups and league combined) as a 20 year old for one of England’s biggest teams. That’s not so bad.

Edited by breeks_mctavish

30 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to write off a move for Hickey to Arsenal.

Arsenal have missed Tierney a lot since his injury and will have identified left back as an area where they need to upgrade their backup as a priority. Tavares is a bit of a liability. So even if Tierney isn’t injured, given his injury record, Arsenal may be tempted to protect him more than other key players.

if Hickey also acts as a backup at right back, he could easily play 20 games (cups and league combined) as a 20 year old for one of England’s biggest teams. That’s not so bad.

It is not a matter of writing it off per se. If it is done and dusted nothing can be done. However, it is bad for the Scottish national team potentially if Tierney remains and is competing with Hickey for a spot in the side. Twenty games a season is a backward step for him. He needs a move into a side where he is guaranteed first team football getting upwards of 40 games a season.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And if you want to succeed at international football you need a team full of first team regulars.

Yeah, but international football is of secondary importance to club football now for a player, so that won’t feature much in their decision making.  In fact, it’s being going on to a lesser extent for 40 years with the likes of the Liverpool three calling off for games.

28 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Yeah, but international football is of secondary importance to club football now for a player, so that won’t feature much in their decision making.  In fact, it’s being going on to a lesser extent for 40 years with the likes of the Liverpool three calling off for games.

My point is this, on the face of it, a bad move for Scotland fans who want to see Scots getting regular first team football. I do not give a stuff about Arsenal. Hopefully, it is a signing that signifies Tierney is already on another club's books now.

41 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is not a matter of writing it off per se. If it is done and dusted nothing can be done. However, it is bad for the Scottish national team potentially if Tierney remains and is competing with Hickey for a spot in the side. Twenty games a season is a backward step for him. He needs a move into a side where he is guaranteed first team football getting upwards of 40 games a season.

I hear you, but playing devils advocate, this next move could be the chance Hickey gets to establish himself at a top club. Say he starts off as backup but works his way into the team, this will mean Scotland in future have another player at a top club. He’s likely to be backup for Scotland for a while too.

Maybe there is already a big club out there who’d want to throw him straight in the team as a regular. However, I’d reckon most big clubs buying 20 year olds have a longer term plan to integrate them into the first team. Of course, there are always exceptions.

Where I kind of agree with you is that I don’t like the idea that he’ll be competing with Tierney as I’ll want both to do well but not at the expense of the other. Just as an example, if he was initially backup at Man Utd, you’d be delighted if Luke Shaw had been on the donuts again and turned up  at training overweight, giving Hickey a chance. Whereas if he went to Arsenal, you wouldn’t wish any similar misfortune on Tierney! 

Edited by breeks_mctavish

1 minute ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I hear you, but playing devils advocate, this next move could be the chance Hickey gets to establish himself at a top club. Say he starts off as backup but works his way into the team, this will mean Scotland in future have another player at a top club. He’s likely to be backup for Scotland for a while too.

Maybe there is already a big club out there who’d want to throw him straight in the team as a regular. However, I’d reckon most big clubs buying 20 year olds have a longer term plan to integrate them into the first team. Of course, there are always exceptions.

Where I kind of agree with you is that I don’t like the idea that he’ll be competing with Tierney as I’ll want both to do well but not at the expense of the other. Just as an example, if he was initially backup at Man Utd, you’d be delighted if Luke Shaw had been on the donuts again and turned up overweight, giving Hickey a chance. Whereas if he went to Arsenal, you wouldn’t wish any similar misfortune on Tierney! 

I do not get your thinking. Reports have been linking Hickey to many big clubs such as AC Milan who are guaranteed Champions League football unlike Arsenal so this is a poor move if it means he is not guaranteed a spot and fighting with Tierney for a game. The move looks better if Tierney moves on in the summer as many reports suggest.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

O'Donnell played agaisnt Celtic yesterday and has apparently been playing well lately. He did look decent going forward. 

Same goes for Ralston. He was excellent yesterday. Even with Juranovic the first choice, he still ended up with 30+ games this season. I'd be tempted to start him in a few games in June.

Even for Arsenal, €25m is a lot to spend on a back up. Perhaps they know he'll be playing on the right as much as the left. Or Arsenal will lean into the back 5 system Scotland play and have a Hickey/Tierney combo on the left. 

Ralston is great in the SPL same as Turnbull but come old firm or Europe both have done little to impress that is the worry for me on the international stage. 

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I do not get your thinking. Reports have been linking Hickey to many big clubs such as AC Milan who are guaranteed Champions League football unlike Arsenal so this is a poor move if it means he is not guaranteed a spot and fighting with Tierney for a game. The move looks better if Tierney moves on in the summer as many reports suggest.

Ok well let’s say he moves to AC Milan. He’s not exactly guaranteed a game there. Their left back is Theo Hernandez, a 24 year old France international. Of course, he might force his way into the team, but I wouldn’t assume he’d go there as automatic first choice. 

Agree on the point that AC Milan are more likely to be regular Champions league qualifiers than Arsenal. 

6 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Ok well let’s say he moves to AC Milan. He’s not exactly guaranteed a game there. Their left back is Theo Hernandez, a 24 year old France international. Of course, he might force his way into the team, but I wouldn’t assume he’d go there as automatic first choice. 

Agree on the point that AC Milan are more likely to be regular Champions league qualifiers than Arsenal. 

Not guaranteed a start at Arsenal or AC Milan. I know which is a better option. And Arsenal could implode at any time as Arteta has been under pressure this season.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

7 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Ralston is great in the SPL same as Turnbull but come old firm or Europe both have done little to impress that is the worry for me on the international stage. 

A very quick google search tells me Turnbull has 3 goals and 3 assists in Europe this year. From memory, he got a goal and an assist against the French champions last year as well. 10 goals and 8 assists this year despite being injured half the season. What a total myth it is that Turnbull doesn't play well in big games. 

Ralston has arguably been one of Celtic's best player's this year. 5 goals (1 in Europe) and 9 assists. I think Ralston is perfect for right now. Though I do think Patterson, Ramsay and Hickey will surpass him long term.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not guaranteed a start at Arsenal or AC Milan. I know which is a better option. And Arsenal could implode at any time as Arteta has been under pressure this season.

Ok so I don’t think we’re actually disagreeing on too much here. Hickey fancies a crack at a big club. That might mean he’s not guaranteed a game for a bit.

While I think I’d choose AC Milan over Arsenal myself if two offers were on the table (although I’d be kidding myself if Arsenal offered a lot more money), I don’t think there actually is an offer from Milan. At the moment, that’s just paper talk. So if the offer comes in from Arsenal, I understand why he’d go for it. Fair play to him, I hope it comes off. And hopefully Tierney moves to Madrid!

Guest Scot1
59 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

A very quick google search tells me Turnbull has 3 goals and 3 assists in Europe this year. From memory, he got a goal and an assist against the French champions last year as well. 10 goals and 8 assists this year despite being injured half the season. What a total myth it is that Turnbull doesn't play well in big games. 

Ralston has arguably been one of Celtic's best player's this year. 5 goals (1 in Europe) and 9 assists. I think Ralston is perfect for right now. Though I do think Patterson, Ramsay and Hickey will surpass him long term.

I think Turnbull will be an important player for both Celtic and Scotland in the coming years. He’s only 22, nearly 23 years old and has been a bit unlucky with injuries in the last couple of seasons. Hopefully he will have a little luck on the injury front and play more games in the coming years. 

36 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think Turnbull will be an important player for both Celtic and Scotland in the coming years. He’s only 22, nearly 23 years old and has been a bit unlucky with injuries in the last couple of seasons. Hopefully he will have a little luck on the injury front and play more games in the coming years. 

if he has a decent run and cements his place for Celtic, hopefully he can get a move to a big club and we can really see if he has what it takes to challenge Mcginn.

Mcginn is the one player we have thats indispensable at the moment given his goals.  Maybe Gordon too actually.  These are the two players that make the biggest difference to Scotland 

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

if he has a decent run and cements his place for Celtic, hopefully he can get a move to a big club and we can really see if he has what it takes to challenge Mcginn.

Mcginn is the one player we have thats indispensable at the moment given his goals.  Maybe Gordon too actually.  These are the two players that make the biggest difference to Scotland 

I would say Tierney is the player we would miss the most, no one can play to his level in his position 

Guest Scot1
5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I’d put Gilmour in there as fundamental to our recent success. I can’t remember exactly the stats, but I think we’ve only lost 1 game since Gilmour has come into the team, Denmark away. 
To me Turnbull looks like the natural successor to MacGregor at both Celtic and for Scotland.  MacGregor is 28 years old so not exactly old, but in the next few seasons I’d expect Turnbull to gradually take on more responsibility as MacGregor gets older.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I would say Tierney is the player we would miss the most, no one can play to his level in his position 

Yeah, that’s a fair argument, even though he is playing out of position.  Ideally I would have someone taller like van dijk in there.

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

I’d put Gilmour in there as fundamental to our recent success. I can’t remember exactly the stats, but I think we’ve only lost 1 game since Gilmour has come into the team, Denmark away. 
To me Turnbull looks like the natural successor to MacGregor at both Celtic and for Scotland.  MacGregor is 28 years old so not exactly old, but in the next few seasons I’d expect Turnbull to gradually take on more responsibility as MacGregor gets older.

I don’t see turnbull that often but I always thought of him as a just off the front player, can he do defensive mid?

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Up until his recent injury, he already had cemented his place at Celtic. Especially with Rogic leaving, I think he'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet for Celtic.

As others have said, he's only 22 and won't be pushing McGinn out the first 11 any time soon, but if he continues in an upward trajectory, you could see him being used more and more from the bench and maybe be in the first 11 by the time he is in his mid 20s. 

Saying all that, by the time Turnbull is ready to take over from McGinn, we might have the likes of Lowry,  Doak and Hepburn all making a claim for a spot as well. *fingers crossed*

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

I don’t see turnbull that often but I always thought of him as a just off the front player, can he do defensive mid?

He usually plays on the left hand side of a midfield 3, with MacGregor playing in the middle of the 3. But Turnbull is pretty much 2 footed so can play on the left or right centrally. Or as you say could even play higher up on the left or right of a front 3. Celtic and Scotland don’t really play with a defensive midfielder, although I think that may change next season, and MaGregor moved to the left with Turnbull moved to the right of a midfield 3, with a defensive midfielder in the centre. It looks like the Celtic manager has Turnbull earmarked as a central midfielder rather than an attacking midfielder / inside forward, that’s where I think he will play for Scotland. Although he is very versatile.