Scottish player transfers - Page 168 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

The Old Firm (more so Rangers, in fairness) tend to prefer the quick-fix of bringing in established players (or - and this is more annoying - players who've failed to make the grade at academies from the big leagues) as opposed to developing their own talent. I can understand why - they're under pressure to win things - but so are clubs like Chelsea Liverpool and the Manchester teams, yet they seem to strike a balance between producing their own top class players for their first team - and, in turn, the English national team - as well as signing more established stars from abroad.

I think it's only in the last couple of years that we've seen that happen with elite English clubs. Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea have until recently just bought success.  Most EPL teams have very few English players so I guess those who do break through (Foden, A-A, Mount, James etc. must be very good.) Problem with Scottish football as you point out is that it's not due Bruyne keeping you from getting a game but some non-Scot journeyman.

53 minutes ago, Arbroath1320 said:

Fingers crossed for Ramsay but, let's face it, this could backfire spectacularly. Liverpool are not paying £4m for a first-team player.

Yeh, the smallest fee they have paid for a current first team player was for Robertson of about £8m. Before that, the least they paid for a first team regular was Charlie Adam at around £7.5m. All the rest are higher or significantly higher fees.

I think Liverpool could be a great move for Ramsey. Alexander Arnold is nailed on 1st choice but Liverpool dont have a similar style back up. Liverpool play in a huge amount of games so even if he only played in the cups, the odd champions league game and league game then he would still get a good bit of game time.

More importantly I really rate Klopp as a coach and Ramsey could learn loads on the training ground. Just look at Robertson, hardly played for 1st 6 months and is on record saying he wasnt tactically anywhere near good enough when he came to Liverpool.

Ramsey is still really young. A couple of years learning from the best and getting decent game time and then moving on to get regular 1st team football might be better than regular football without the same level of education.

Similar to Foden at City although he has now become one of their main stars.

51 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think Liverpool could be a great move for Ramsey. Alexander Arnold is nailed on 1st choice but Liverpool dont have a similar style back up. Liverpool play in a huge amount of games so even if he only played in the cups, the odd champions league game and league game then he would still get a good bit of game time.

More importantly I really rate Klopp as a coach and Ramsey could learn loads on the training ground. Just look at Robertson, hardly played for 1st 6 months and is on record saying he wasnt tactically anywhere near good enough when he came to Liverpool.

Ramsey is still really young. A couple of years learning from the best and getting decent game time and then moving on to get regular 1st team football might be better than regular football without the same level of education.

Similar to Foden at City although he has now become one of their main stars.

Nico Williams is a young Welsh international. I'd rather he went somewhere where will get first team football.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Nico Williams is a young Welsh international. I'd rather he went somewhere where will get first team football.

Williams was out on loan at Fulham. If he is ahead of Ramsey then it would be likely that Ramsey would get loaned out to get 1st team football anyway.

Better going to a club like Liverpool and then getting loaned out than moving perm to a club and potentially not getting 1st team football anyway. Like Pattersons unfortunate situation.

Just read about Jordan Holsgrove apparently too good to be playing Spanish 3rd division, apparently was a fall out out between Celtas first team and B team over him, a turkish top division side apparently bid for him in January, fans on twitter seem to think they have no chance of him playing in that division after this season. 

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Just read about Jordan Holsgrove apparently too good to be playing Spanish 3rd division, apparently was a fall out out between Celtas first team and B team over him, a turkish top division side apparently bid for him in January, fans on twitter seem to think they have no chance of him playing in that division after this season. 

I was trying to remember the lads name so thanks for the post! 

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Hickey 20m Euro transfer to arsenal..  will be compet8ng with tierney.

The only way this is a half decent move is if Tierney is leaving Arsenal. If not then bad move for him and for his Scotland prospects.

And if he has been bought as a replacement for Tierney it is a weird one as they are two totally different type players.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Subject to proposed moves.

Hickey back up to Tierney

Ramsey back up to TAA

Patterson back up to Coleman

Ashby back up to Coufal

Ralston back up to Juranovic.

O donnell on the bench(sorry cannot remember who is preferred at Motherwell).

Devine back up to Tavernier.

Plenty of talent available at RB just hope someone breaks out and plays regularly. Can actually see Ashby( was up for academy player of the year) going on loan and being the outsider with most gametime. Hickey due to being able to play at RB.

Edited by syecosse

Hickey to Arsenal would be a strange choice. Why would you go from being a certain starter in Italy to a backup at Arsenal when you have the option of joining top teams in Italy as 1st choice, staying at current team as 1st choice or joining other premier league teama as 1st choice.

Im all for players having belief that they will become 1st choice but theres no need to make it harder for yourself.

22 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Subject to proposed moves.

Hickey back up to Tierney

Ramsey back up to TAA

Patterson back up to Coleman

Ashby back up to Coufal

Ralston back up to Juranovic.

O donnell on the bench(sorry cannot remember who is preferred at Motherwell).

Devine back up to Tavernier.

Plenty of talent available at RB just hope someone breaks out and plays regularly. Can actually see Ashby( was up for academy player of the year) going on loan and being the outsider with most gametime. Hickey due to being able to play at RB.

that is all very well but how many of them will be getting regular first team football? That is what they should be getting.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Hickey to Arsenal would be a strange choice. Why would you go from being a certain starter in Italy to a backup at Arsenal when you have the option of joining top teams in Italy as 1st choice, staying at current team as 1st choice or joining other premier league teama as 1st choice.

Im all for players having belief that they will become 1st choice but theres no need to make it harder for yourself.

Exactly.

Mind you I strongly suspect it is a bit of bravado from Arsenal. It would no surprise me if Tierney has not already signed a contract elsewhere and Hickey is a straight replacement but Arsenal trying to appease the fans.