Scottish player transfers - Page 166 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

7 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

You have to wonder what the strategy is at Rangers. They spend all that money developing who look to be top class youth prospects and then rarely play them. I could understand if they were guff but they patently aren't. These things need to be balanced in the interests of the development of the player as well as wider squad considerations, but its not as if Rangers can point at a successful long term strategy of careful development minutes that has been successful. 

Its only been patterson and lowry who have looked brilliant. Not saying they havent got more coming through but realistically apart from lowry who is the other guys who should be getting gametime. King is supposed to be a good prospect but centre back is a risky position to be shoving in an 18 year old with very little experience. 

Obviously with rangers chasing titles and cups there isnt alot of room for trying out young players. 

Also Tbf rangers did pretty well from the patterson situation, to get that kind of money for a guy they barely played is amazing imo. If they got that kind of money for every youth prospect then they would be in a great situation financially and would be able to invest in the first team more.

I think next season lowry will get plenty of gametime, he looks to be the real deal and gvb has given him a few chances this season already.

14 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

You have to wonder what the strategy is at Rangers. They spend all that money developing who look to be top class youth prospects and then rarely play them. I could understand if they were guff but they patently aren't. These things need to be balanced in the interests of the development of the player as well as wider squad considerations, but its not as if Rangers can point at a successful long term strategy of careful development minutes that has been successful. 

I truly believe that the club as a whole believe in youth development. They came out a while back twlking about one of the bits of the business model going forward was developing players then selling.

The problem comes when they task any manager with developing these prospects but at the same time having to win each and every game. Even the treble has become such a huge thing now that the league cup isnt even a competition where you would play some youth regardless of opposition. I remember Arsenal years ago in a 2 leg league cup semi final against Spurs and they fielded an entire team of prospects who had won the earlier rounds. They got humped if I remember correctly but the players included the likes of Fabregas. That just simply wouldnt be tolerated at Rangers.

As a manager its a hard 1. During the transfer window you are always asking for more. So if you get the option if Aaron Ramsey you are defo gonna take it. Once he is in the door then you cant not play Ramsey but play Lowry. Its the same across the entire squad. Just look at GK. McGregor and McLaughlin were bith out for the 1st old firm game. McCrory played and did well. But theres no chance Rangers go a full season with him as the back up.

18 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Its only been patterson and lowry who have looked brilliant. Not saying they havent got more coming through but realistically apart from lowry who is the other guys who should be getting gametime. King is supposed to be a good prospect but centre back is a risky position to be shoving in an 18 year old with very little experience. 

Obviously with rangers chasing titles and cups there isnt alot of room for trying out young players. 

Also Tbf rangers did pretty well from the patterson situation, to get that kind of money for a guy they barely played is amazing imo. If they got that kind of money for every youth prospect then they would be in a great situation financially and would be able to invest in the first team more.

I think next season lowry will get plenty of gametime, he looks to be the real deal and gvb has given him a few chances this season already.

I understand what you are saying but equally, what is the point in the system if there isn't a lot of room for trying out young players. If they are unable to give them a chance, then why develop them in the first place - that's what I mean about it being hard to see the strategy. Perhaps the strategy is to product the odd once in a blue moon player (i.e. Patterson) and discard all the rest, but that seems wasteful and speculative. They do seem to be using the loan system a bit more which will help those who don't make the grade move on, possibly for fees, but there seems to be a group in between who clearly have a ceiling at or above Ranger's level but who need exposure to first team football to get there.

Rangers need to find a way of developing them more effectively and earlier as that is where the big fees are generated but that is also how they retain them in their system. Lowry for instance is clearly ready now for increased involvement but they can't/won't give it to him. Saying he will get it next year won't cut the mustard any more as an English Prem team can offer U23 football now for multiples of the wages he is on. If he is playing reserve football at Rangers, he may as well play reserve football in England and be a very wealthy young man.

Jacob Brown is being connected with a move to Rangers, West Ham, Burnley and Brentford. 

Have heard that Rangers, Man city, Man u and Liverpool are trying to secure an Aberdeen player called Lancelot Pollard seems to have been at Aberdden a bit but not even sure with that name if he is Scottish or that much about him. 

Edited by syecosse

15 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Jacob Brown is being connected with a move to Rangers, West Ham, Burnley and Brentford. 

Have heard that Rangers, Man city, Man u and Liverpool are trying to secure an Aberdeen player called Lancelot Pollard seems to have been at Aberdden a bit but not even sure with that name if he is Scottish or that much about him. 

Looks like he came through the performance schools, so looks like he is Scottish👍

Edit: it seems he's London Pollard's brother (she plays for M'well ladies) and is a Scotland international in the younger ages, so he's definitely Scottish

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/lancelot-pollard-rangers-liverpool-and-man-utd-chasing-aberdeen-wonderkid-six-figure-bid-set-to-be-tabled-3665908

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

9 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

When i lived in aberdeen a guy i was mates with told me a black kid called lancelot plays with his kid in some local youth team and that he was unbelievably good. I am guessing its this kid, cant be that many footballing child prodigies in the aberdeen area called lancelot. 

35 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Injured, it seems he's very much one of the first names on the team sheet now

Fingers crossed he’s fit and available for the games in June 🤞

On 4/23/2022 at 2:58 PM, mccaughey85 said:

When i lived in aberdeen a guy i was mates with told me a black kid called lancelot plays with his kid in some local youth team and that he was unbelievably good. I am guessing its this kid, cant be that many footballing child prodigies in the aberdeen area called lancelot. 

I think you’re on safe ground with this. 

23 hours ago, syecosse said:

Leeds trying to get ahead of Liverpool and get Ramsey and Hickey has opened talks with Napoli apparently. 

According to this article, Bologna have slapped a 21.5 Million Euro (about 18 million pounds) price tag on Hickey.

https://football-italia.net/bologna-set-price-on-napoli-target-hickey/

Whoever comes in for him, it's going to cost them by the looks of things.

Guest Scot1

Nice to see interest in some of our younger players, Ramsey and Hickey. It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the summer with a few others, I’d like to see Lewis Ferguson move on from Aberdeen. I’d like to see Gilmour go out to Spain on loan. Ross Stewart move to the championship either with or without Sunderland. Maybe Josh Doig and Porteous both move down to the Championship too. Souttar to Rangers, and hopefully a spell injury free, the lad deserves a bit of luck. Be interesting to see if there is any interest in McGinn and what the new manager thinks of McTominay at Man Utd. But the general trend is hopefully a number of our players stepping up in terms of competition and quality and that can only be a good thing. 

4 hours ago, mcguffin said:

According to this article, Bologna have slapped a 21.5 Million Euro (about 18 million pounds) price tag on Hickey.

https://football-italia.net/bologna-set-price-on-napoli-target-hickey/

Whoever comes in for him, it's going to cost them by the looks of things.

That can only be a good thing. EPL sides can afford to spend 10 million on potential or squad player however when you start to spend toward 20 million then theres an expectation that they start. Especially for teams in other top leagues.

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Nice to see interest in some of our younger players, Ramsey and Hickey. It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the summer with a few others, I’d like to see Lewis Ferguson move on from Aberdeen. I’d like to see Gilmour go out to Spain on loan. Ross Stewart move to the championship either with or without Sunderland. Maybe Josh Doig and Porteous both move down to the Championship too. Souttar to Rangers, and hopefully a spell injury free, the lad deserves a bit of luck. Be interesting to see if there is any interest in McGinn and what the new manager thinks of McTominay at Man Utd. But the general trend is hopefully a number of our players stepping up in terms of competition and quality and that can only be a good thing. 

Gilmour isn’t going to Spain . Fulham , Bournemouth or back to rangers are his next predicted stops.

8 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Gilmour isn’t going to Spain . Fulham , Bournemouth or back to rangers are his next predicted stops.

Back to Rangers would be a massive step down for him. No disrespect to Rangers, or the SPFL in general, but he's better off going toe to toe with elite level players every week. Not just against Celtic and in the off chance they get another good European run. Fair play to Rangers this season, but I can't see it being a recurring trend.

Spain or Germany would definitely suit him more than another relegation battling team in England.

2 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

For now yes I'd agree with that. 

I would say Chelsea have put a fair-sized transfer fee on his head - such a size that you won't get mid-table clubs willing to splash that much cash on a potential talent. And top tier EPL clubs are well-served in midfield and can pluck the best talents from across the world on proven stars.

Gilmour, at present, is where he is - stuck in limbo. He will most likely end up at a club of the ilk of those you mentioned but it could change, maybe, if Gilmour has an impact on the World Cup play-offs which will get a lot of coverage especially the final V Wales. That could encourage more clubs to take that plunge but its a big ask at present.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Back to Rangers would be a massive step down for him. No disrespect to Rangers, or the SPFL in general, but he's better off going toe to toe with elite level players every week. Not just against Celtic and in the off chance they get another good European run. Fair play to Rangers this season, but I can't see it being a recurring trend.

Spain or Germany would definitely suit him more than another relegation battling team in England.

There isn’t a chance in hell he’ll play domestic football back in Scotland, be it on loan or via a transfer!! 

If Chelsea’s season fizzles out which is the way it’s going then Thomas Tuchel will take Gilmour back to Chelsea for pre season and give him the opportunity to impress up until the transfer window and then decisions will be made imo 

As mentioned earlier, possibly Fulham or Bournemouth for another stint out on loan if Chelsea decide to farm him out again?!? 
Fulham would be a good fit with it being a London Club, here’s hoping Gilmour arrives /  turns up in June and gives us some big performances 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Anyone else think he could end up at Everton? 

A good move, if they stay up.

Lampard was the guy who played him for Chelsea was he bit ...

He could do well there.