Scottish player transfers - Page 161 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It would break the transfer record by a mile. 

But you should also consider that Aberdeen got more for Jonny Hayes than they did for Steve Archibald, so you should really factor in inflation to these records. 

Yeah, I'm sure some of the Aberdeen players that transferred to Man Utd back in the day would have been relatively lucrative as well. I did think of that, which is why I was only referencing recent transfers. 

Like the Patterson transfer, this would be good for all parties involved.

It's £830k up front, £3.3m guaranteed at the end of the season and small add-ons. They'll be hoping to start a bidding war with any interested English teams to get a bit more than that, especially up front.

Edited by wee-toon-red

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

It's £830k up front, £3.3m guaranteed at the end of the season and small add-ons. They'll be hoping to start a bidding war with any interested English teams to get a bit more than that, especially up front.

Does it really matter much if most of the money comes in the summer as lng as its guaranteed? 

Obviously its better to have cash in hand but I doubt Aberdeen would be reinvesting much this window and 800k would be a good amount to pay off any debts or bills arising from COVID.

If anything id be pushing for a big sell on clause. Add ons only reallly work if the player is likely to be at the buying club for a few years. If Ramsay goes there and does well he will be sold on by next summer.

Interesting interview with Oliver Burke following his recent loan move to Millwall. A real insight into the pressures and setbacks he's faced in his career to date:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/i-just-want-stability-exclusive-interview-with-millwall-loan-signing-ollie-burke-on-his-meteoric-rise-and-challenges-faced/

I hope he gets the stability he craves at Millwall and starts to get games.

13 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Interesting interview with Oliver Burke following his recent loan move to Millwall. A real insight into the pressures and setbacks he's faced in his career to date:

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/i-just-want-stability-exclusive-interview-with-millwall-loan-signing-ollie-burke-on-his-meteoric-rise-and-challenges-faced/

I hope he gets the stability he craves at Millwall and starts to get games.

His career has never really taken off the way most of us hoped. Hes too much of a headless chicken and hasnt got much positional sense or consistency in his touch and technique. He does have flashes of brilliance where he will ghost past defenders with his lightning pace but its once in a blue moon and not nearly enough to justify him getting a starting place in an epl team. He hasn't even impressed that much at championship level. Would love to see him improve and become a decent player but hes 24 soon to be 25. Its a shame as his pace is insane at times. Must be one of the quickest players I have seen. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

His career has never really taken off the way most of us hoped. Hes too much of a headless chicken and hasnt got much positional sense or consistency in his touch and technique. He does have flashes of brilliance where he will ghost past defenders with his lightning pace but its once in a blue moon and not nearly enough to justify him getting a starting place in an epl team. He hasn't even impressed that much at championship level. Would love to see him improve and become a decent player but hes 24 soon to be 25. Its a shame as his pace is insane at times. Must be one of the quickest players I have seen. 

He has the pace and power of a raging bull - but also the finese of one!

Yep, I pretty much agree with you.

I would never write any one off. Especially at his age. People started shouting for Gauld at 25 and Watt at 27 to be called up. Hanley resurrected his Scotland career at 28/29. There are dozens of other examples of that happening.

Burke has what no other player has. If he can tighten up on some other aspects of his game, he could well be back in the fold. No offence to Millwall, but it's not exactly going to to throw him into the limelight. Maybe they'll actually play him in his correct position though.

Burke has played under so many managers it cannot have helped his game. I agree he has fantastic pace and at times can ghost back a full back. Surely they should be working on his crossing/final ball to make use of this as this part of his game has never really improved.

Hope he gets more game time as still time if he does.

16 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I would never write any one off. Especially at his age. People started shouting for Gauld at 25 and Watt at 27 to be called up. Hanley resurrected his Scotland career at 28/29. There are dozens of other examples of that happening.

Burke has what no other player has. If he can tighten up on some other aspects of his game, he could well be back in the fold. No offence to Millwall, but it's not exactly going to to throw him into the limelight. Maybe they'll actually play him in his correct position though.

Pace alone does not a winger make.

21 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Maybe they'll actually play him in his correct position though.

I think that might be part of Burkes problem. What is his correct position? He doesnt seem to have the positional sence or crossing ability to play on the wing and he doesnt really have any attributes to play uo front other than pace.

Im sure one of the reasons given by RBL for why he didnt play was that he just wasnt picking up the coaches tactical instructions.

27 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think that might be part of Burkes problem. What is his correct position? He doesnt seem to have the positional sence or crossing ability to play on the wing and he doesnt really have any attributes to play uo front other than pace.

Im sure one of the reasons given by RBL for why he didnt play was that he just wasnt picking up the coaches tactical instructions.

I personally think he'd make a very good RB/RWB. Give him as much pitch in front of him to run into as you can. One thing I've always liked about him is his ability to harry and tackle. He's absolutely solid as well, so he'd be well placed in a deeper position.

If not, simply play him as a winger and work on his flaws. He is not a striker, and should never have been played there.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I personally think he'd make a very good RB/RWB. Give him as much pitch in front of him to run into as you can. One thing I've always liked about him is his ability to harry and tackle. He's absolutely solid as well, so he'd be well placed in a deeper position.

If not, simply play him as a winger and work on his flaws. He is not a striker, and should never have been played there.

That's been my hunch too, that'd make a very good RB/RWB. I watched a few games when he played for Alaves and his defensive work when he dropped back on the right to help out the defence was actually pretty good. I always thought he looked uncomfortable as a striker (with the pressure to score weighing heavy on his shoulders).

On 1/26/2022 at 2:50 PM, Dodger said:

Exactly. Easy to say "he should stay in bologna" without knowing the circumstances. Based on part of a press conference I saw, he doesn't speak Italian so wouldn't be surprising if he's finding it tough out there and would jump at the chance to move closer to home. 

Hope that's not the case and he stays out there as it can only be good for his football career but there's more to these things than what happens on the pitch. 

If that's really case after 18 months out there, then that's on him and nobody else. It's his responsibility to integrate and that includes achieving a basic command of the local language. 

Edited by Barney Rubble

13 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

If that's really case after 18 months out there, then that's on him and nobody else. It's his responsibility to integrate and that includes achieving a basic command of the local language. 

I don't disagree. My main point was that there's a lot more to player transfers than just what happens on the pitch though. 

Im sure I read an interview that said he is pretty decent at understanding Italian but not so good at speaking it. Its not uncommon for an interpreter to be used at press conferences under such circumstances. 

18 months to be a fluint speaker in a new language is quite quick. Especially given he has moved house and spent alot of time in lockdown. Its so much easier to learn a new language when you can go out and mix in shops etc.

15 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im sure I read an interview that said he is pretty decent at understanding Italian but not so good at speaking it. Its not uncommon for an interpreter to be used at press conferences under such circumstances. 

18 months to be a fluint speaker in a new language is quite quick. Especially given he has moved house and spent alot of time in lockdown. Its so much easier to learn a new language when you can go out and mix in shops etc.

Most footballers can hardly speak in their own language. 🤣

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be a fluent speaker after 18 months, but with any effort at all he should be fluent in the basics at least. These guys are given access to language training from day zero from the clubs, and they will be tutored by the best local language teachers available.

After 18 months he should at the very least be able to conduct a basic TV interview in the local language.

On a similar subject, allegedly Liel Abada didn't quite feel his English was up to an interview yesterday, so Joe Hart accepted MoM on his behalf.

I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be a fluent speaker after 18 months, but with any effort at all he should be fluent in the basics at least. These guys are given access to language training from day zero from the clubs, and they will be tutored by the best local language teachers available.

After 18 months he should at the very least be able to conduct a basic TV interview in the local language.

On a similar subject, allegedly Liel Abada didn't quite feel his English was up to an interview yesterday, so Joe Hart accepted MoM on his behalf.

I'd tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. I agree with Diamond Scot that it's not the best of circumstances to try and get fluent in a new language stuck at home under lockdown restrictions. Besides, even if he has got a bit of fluency, it does sound daunting to have to face the Italian football press, even with an interpreter.

That said, I was pretty impressed that Ryan Gauld handled interviews in Portuguese.  A great role model for young players.