Scottish player transfers - Page 157 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It is very disingenuous to suggest it is mostly due to the performance schools. Especially when you could make the complete opposite argument that the 2 best players from the performance schools by far came through at Rangers. It's a combination of the performance school extra coaching, very good youth coaching at Rangers and natural talent.

Rangers completely revamped their youth set up during the Warburton era and spend by far the most on youth development of any club in Scotland. It's an area that has been massively focused on since. I'm sure they've won the u18 league the last 3 years. While that annoyingly hadn't translated to Gerrard giving young players a chance, it's absolutely ridiculous to say it is mostly the performance schools. 

Leon King is performance school. Rory Wilson is the next big elite level hope after that. I'm not sure if he is PS but he is one to watch out for. He's 15 and has scored about 5 or 6 hatricks at u18 level.

You're right, I probably am unfairly taking away credit from Rangers. In reality, it's probably a combination of a lot of things.

Rangers youths have taken away Celtic's dominance, so something has changed dramatically there. Which can't only be explained by recruiting PS players. 

As you say, Rangers hasn't seen the fruits of the labour yet, but hopefully GVB will be more interested in promoting youth. I also don't really care if they all leave, like Gilmour and Patterson. I really couldn't care less what teams Scottish players play for, I just care that they all get a fair shot.

29 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Two keepers who are unlikely to get in any squads in the future surely. 

I would probably bet on at least one of them making future squads. Marshall is 36 and could easily get himself to another championship/spl club where he would get games. Archer is only 28 and up until a few years ago was doing ok at league 1/championship level. Hes struggled to get games this last few years but 28 is still quite young for a keeper and he could probably do a job at a championship club. If he's playing English championship every week then he would probably get in our squad. 

Edited by mccaughey85

According to the Scotsman:

Leeis Ferguson wanted by several (unspecified) EPL clubs 

Kerr Smith set to go to Villa for up to £2m with add ons

Celtic set to turn down £1.6 m bid from Udinese for Stephen Welsh as they want to keep him

It seems our younger players are in demand!

Edited by breeks_mctavish

18 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

According to the Scotsman:

Leeis Ferguson wanted by several (unspecified) EPL clubs 

Kerr Smith set to go to Villa for up to £2m with add ons

Celtic set to turn down £1.6 m bid from Udinese for Stephen Welsh as they want to keep him

It seems our younger players are in demand!

Well clearly EPL clubs have seen the talent that has come from Scotland in recent times with the likes of Robertson, Tierney, McGinn and Gilmour. They no doubt now realise there are the chance of picking up a gem dirt cheap.

Looks like Kerr Smith to Villa has been confirmed. Call me cynical, but that'll be the last time we hear his name for about 4 years, unless he ends up having a successful loan spell elsewhere.

Aside from that negativity, this could be good for his development. We aren't screaming out for new CBs, so I'm happy to be patient with this type of transfer. 

10 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Looks like Kerr Smith to Villa has been confirmed. Call me cynical, but that'll be the last time we hear his name for about 4 years, unless he ends up having a successful loan spell elsewhere.

Aside from that negativity, this could be good for his development. We aren't screaming out for new CBs, so I'm happy to be patient with this type of transfer. 

Not sure thats the best move for him but hes probably getting paid more money. He's going to be no where near the villa first team for at least a couple of years. Would be best he gets a loan move to a league 1/2 club to help his development. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

It’s a good step up for him. Champs league football (probably) next season. Rather that than he moves to the championship. 

agreed.  My preference would be bundesliga/laliga/ serie A. Then Epl…. Then rangers then championship…

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure thats the best move for him but hes probably getting paid more money. He's going to be no where near the villa first team for at least a couple of years. Would be best he gets a loan move to a league 1/2 club to help his development. 

If he is good enough he will develop and break into the team. (Like Gilmour) If he isnt good enough he wont, like many others.

Id rather all our young players went to the best clubs where they get the best coaching and then the cream will rise to the top. 

53 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If he is good enough he will develop and break into the team. (Like Gilmour) If he isnt good enough he wont, like many others.

Id rather all our young players went to the best clubs where they get the best coaching and then the cream will rise to the top. 

So are you saying they don’t get decent coaching in Scotland? The coaches he’s had must have been half decent due to fact he made his debut a few days after his 16th birthday after being at United since he was 7!

4 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

So are you saying they don’t get decent coaching in Scotland? The coaches he’s had must have been half decent due to fact he made his debut a few days after his 16th birthday after being at United since he was 7!

The best coaching setups tend to happen when the most money can be spent on them. Thats not about having the same number of coaches but paying them more. Its about having a coaching budget that is multiple times what it is in Scotland. Allowing for more coaches, different types of coaches, analysts, people to look after strength and conditioning, nutrition etc etc.

If the same coaches in Scotland had the same budget and could employ all the same number and variety of staff then im sure they would do just as good a job but the money isnt there.

Just as a very basic example, theres a reason why all Englands youth teams have every player looking like a toned athlete. Its because they get every advantage at their club, their blood is analised to determine what nutrients they require to make them bigger, stronger, faster etc. This isnt the same for every player so takes alot of money. Scottish teams just dont have the resources for that.