Scottish player transfers - Page 156 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Rangers and Celtic are both selling clubs.  They need to grow or buy talent from wherever and then sell them to bigger clubs like Everton or Leicester.  They in turn need to consider selling to even bigger clubs like Chelsea or Barcelona.  There is a pecking order and the old firm are somewhere near the top of the championship in that regard.  Hence why Souttar is apparently considering Blackburn, Forrest and Sheffield united alongside rangers.

Richer clubs, not bigger clubs. 👍

12 hours ago, aaid said:

Probably more flops than successes.  

Anthony Martial £60million from Monaco to Man Utd., aged 19, played 52 games for Monaco and Lille surely must be up there. 

He was 36m. Add ons brought it up to 58. Not sure if the add ons would have been triggered tbh. Depends on what they were. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

He was 36m. Add ons brought it up to 58. Not sure if the add ons would have been triggered tbh. Depends on what they were. 

I’d imagine most of the add ins related to his own performance would be triggered but do you think he’s represented good value even at the base price?

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’d imagine most of the add ins related to his own performance would be triggered but do you think he’s represented good value even at the base price?

Most of them probably have been triggered but if winning the league title is in there then obviously that's not been triggered. Also when ppl quote what a players transfer fee was usually its the fee upfront before add ons. 

I think in todays market or when martial was bought 36m was slightly excessive but I would say overall he's been value for money. He's scored 79 goals for them which included 23 in 1 season. He's also got over 50 assists for them. For a winger/forward thats decent stats, it's not his fault man utd have been poor. Going by wiki he had also made a couple appearances for the France national team before man utd bought him. That would of jacked his price up as well. 

Overall I would 36m is probably a fair price for what hes provided. Lots of average epl players are worth 30m+ these days. He was an extremely promising young player who had 70 appearances for Monaco and he looked potentially like the next thierry Henry at the time. The add ons that brought it up to 58m seem pretty excessive though. 

32 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Richer clubs, not bigger clubs. 👍

😂😂😂. Yeah it’s a can of worms that discussion.  What defines a “big” club… history, fans, trophies won, stadium… or is it current things like turnover and ability of the current team.

if you argued that the past now didn’t matter and that’s all history consigned to the distant past, rangers and Celtic were once upon a time European football powerhouses but are now the equivalent of a Watford or Norwich.  Certainly that’s where they would rank in status based on their financial power and current footballing ability.

36 minutes ago, aaid said:

Reading wiki it says there were three add ons worth slightly more than 7m each. They were 25 caps for France, 25 goals for united and to win the ballon dor. I think those had to be achieved in the four years of his first contract so I am guessing the 25 caps for France didn't get triggered as he's only got 30 caps and had gained a few before he went to United. Obviously the ballon dor hasn't been triggered either. 

So 43m is the total he cost man utd. Obviously it's all down to opinion but I would say thats pretty standard price for what he's provided man utd.

Just shows how much silly money the EPL will pay for a guy whos good but not quite elite. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

It would be. Hickey has shown what a good move to the right club Serie A can be for a young player. 

I actually thought Welsh started the season really well. I'd well and truly changed my mind on him. It was very harsh that he immediately got dropped for Starfelt, who is no better than him. With Julien returning as well, he'll be lucky to make the bench soon. He should definitely leave for his own sake.

It's not like we are struggling for CB options these days but the more the merrier. 

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I actually thought Welsh started the season really well. I'd well and truly changed my mind on him. It was very harsh that he immediately got dropped for Starfelt, who is no better than him. With Julien returning as well, he'll be lucky to make the bench soon. He should definitely leave for his own sake.

It's not like we are struggling for CB options these days but the more the merrier. 

i think it’s our second weakest position alongside centre forward and inside forward.  We have tierney (good but really a full back), Hanley (played very well recently but low epl player), Cooper (similar), Hendry (good but gives away lots of free kicks), souttar (looks good, needs to prove himself at higher level).

so I agree, we are not struggling, but would be good to have a couple of world class baresi and Maldinis to choose from 😊

maybe being a bit greedy.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

i think it’s our second weakest position alongside centre forward and inside forward.  We have tierney (good but really a full back), Hanley (played very well recently but low epl player), Cooper (similar), Hendry (good but gives away lots of free kicks), souttar (looks good, needs to prove himself at higher level).

so I agree, we are not struggling, but would be good to have a couple of world class baresi and Maldinis to choose from 😊

Although you're not wrong, I think every area of the pitch has gotten significantly stronger in the last year or 2. It's unfair to compare CB to LB or CM. Instead, compare 2022 CB to 2019 CB. 

Obviously a Maldini is unlikely, but we do have many options that have the potential to rise up a level. We aren't pinning our hopes on 1 or 2 guys anymore.

We also don't need a team of world class players, just guys capable of World class or International class performances. Gordon and Hanley are the most obvious examples of that.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:29 PM, aaid said:

Jude Bellingham went from Birmingham City in the Chamoionship to Dortmund aged 17 for £25 million having played 41 games.  Jadon Sancho went from Man City’s youth team to Dortmund for £8 million at the same age, he’d never played a senior game.   Bayern Munich tried to buy Callum Hudson Odoi from Chelsea when he’d made less that 10 first team appearances.  

it’s not that uncommon for young players with high potential.

Bellingham had played over 40 games and Sancho’s move was over 4 years ago. I stand by my post. It is very unusual 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I’ve got very high hopes for Liam Morrison and Leon King. 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Aston villa have apparently bid for Dundee utds Kerr Smith.

Only turned 17 not that long ago. If he goes there, will be for their under 23s. If he continues to develop, expect a loan in a year or two. 

58 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Only turned 17 not that long ago. If he goes there, will be for their under 23s. If he continues to develop, expect a loan in a year or two. 

From what I understand Villa tried for King until he signed a new contract at Rangers. 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

The Kerr Smith to Aston Villa fee is £800,000 I am reading.

Also (it was the sun admittedly) but Aaron Hickey is linked to them for £20M!

£20m for an experienced Serie A left back is probably more believable than £14m for an untested SPL right back  plus Hickey is younger.

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

£20m for an experienced Serie A left back is probably more believable than £14m for an untested SPL right back  plus Hickey is younger.

£20M is probably about right given how well he’s doing and the potential he has 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:54 AM, Tartan blood said:

I'm not so sure they will (invest in their own youth system). The 2 best players to come out of their academy essentially learned their trade at the Performance Schools (12-16). What they might do is try and recruit from those schools more, knowing they'll do all the hard work for them. 

Do Rangers have any other Performance School players on their books? Leon King maybe?

It is very disingenuous to suggest it is mostly due to the performance schools. Especially when you could make the complete opposite argument that the 2 best players from the performance schools by far came through at Rangers. It's a combination of the performance school extra coaching, very good youth coaching at Rangers and natural talent.

Rangers completely revamped their youth set up during the Warburton era and spend by far the most on youth development of any club in Scotland. It's an area that has been massively focused on since. I'm sure they've won the u18 league the last 3 years. While that annoyingly hadn't translated to Gerrard giving young players a chance, it's absolutely ridiculous to say it is mostly the performance schools. 

Leon King is performance school. Rory Wilson is the next big elite level hope after that. I'm not sure if he is PS but he is one to watch out for. He's 15 and has scored about 5 or 6 hatricks at u18 level.