Scottish player transfers - Page 154 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh hes done well and I rate him highly, just surprised figures of 12m plus add ons are being quoted. Thats brilliant money and rangers have hit the jackpot big time. Rangers will need the money what with sportsdirect looking for a payout and the huge losses they have had over the last few seasons.

It's really weird the sum of money being talked about.  Given how cash-strapped the Ibrox club is and the fact that there wasn't exactly a bidding war going on, I'm surprised Everton came in so high.

Still, a great move for Paterson and I'm sure it'll work out as he looks a cracking prospect.

21 minutes ago, daviebee said:

It's really weird the sum of money being talked about.  Given how cash-strapped the Ibrox club is and the fact that there wasn't exactly a bidding war going on, I'm surprised Everton came in so high.

Still, a great move for Paterson and I'm sure it'll work out as he looks a cracking prospect.

Yeh it's a huge amount for a guy that's not even played 30 games. Has any spl player ever went for this kind of money with under 50 club appearances? I cant think of any. 

Oliver burke went for silly money after very few english championship appearances but I can't think of any of our spl young players going for silly money. 

Edited by mccaughey85

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh it's a huge amount for a guy that's not even played 30 games. Has any spl player ever went for this kind of money with under 50 club appearances? I cant think of any. 

Oliver burke went for silly money after very few english championship appearances but I can't think of any of our spl young players going for silly money. 

Absolutely no chance. Not a Scot anyway. Craig Gordon went for a lot of money but I'm sure he'd played well over 50 games and was Scotland's number 1. 

Boumsong left for crazy money after only 6 months, but that was all very cloak and dagger and wrapped up in the EBT stuff. So that isn't a good example.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Absolutely no chance. Not a Scot anyway. Craig Gordon went for a lot of money but I'm sure he'd played well over 50 games and was Scotland's number 1. 

Boumsong left for crazy money after only 6 months, but that was all very cloak and dagger and wrapped up in the EBT stuff. So that isn't a good example.

It’s even very unusual for an English player to move for that sort of money having played less than 40 senior games. Even Rooney had played over 60 games for Everton. English players do move for silly money but most have at least played quite a number of senior games. Saying that it is also very unusual for a player to be a pretty much first choice internationalist without being a regular at club level. 

58 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

It’s even very unusual for an English player to move for that sort of money having played less than 40 senior games. Even Rooney had played over 60 games for Everton. English players do move for silly money but most have at least played quite a number of senior games. Saying that it is also very unusual for a player to be a pretty much first choice internationalist without being a regular at club level. 

Patterson had a fairly easy path to first choice right back given O’Donnells very obvious limitations, that being said he’s excelled In his caps. 

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Come to think of it, didn't Oliver Burke move from Forest to Leipzig for similar money before he'd even played 30 games as well? That is not from the SPFL though. I think Walcott got a move to Arsenal before he'd really had any significant game time as well. Both in England though. 

One fear I do have is that Scottish football will soon be treated like Ireland, where all of the best prospects are swept up before they even get a chance to play in the league. Great for the national team, not so great for the clubs. 

Come to think of it, didn't Oliver Burke move from Forest to Leipzig for similar money before he'd even played 30 games as well? That is not from the SPFL though. I think Walcott got a move to Arsenal before he'd really had any significant game time as well. Both in England though. 

One fear I do have is that Scottish football will soon be treated like Ireland, where all of the best prospects are swept up before they even get a chance to play in the league. Great for the national team, not so great for the clubs. 

The best thing Rangers could do is have another youth prospect play back up. (Somebody mentioned a promising right back on another thread.)

If they do that and give the next guy some game time and Pattersin does well (like Tierney) in the EPL then its a ready made cash stream and would eventually have Murray park (or whatever its called these days) making some sense.

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The best thing Rangers could do is have another youth prospect play back up. (Somebody mentioned a promising right back on another thread.)

If they do that and give the next guy some game time and Pattersin does well (like Tierney) in the EPL then its a ready made cash stream and would eventually have Murray park (or whatever its called these days) making some sense.

Adam Devine is the 18-year-old being tipped at Rangers to compete for a first team spot now. The young Scot is highly-rated at Rangers and plays in the same position as Nathan Patterson.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

One thing it must surely do is to enhance belief that nurturing your homegrown talent is far more beneficial in every way - moreso than stab in the dark gamble on foreign transfer buys.

Rangers Just hosed the league last season. This was with home grown talent as nothing more than back up. 

Their stab in the dark gamble on foreign players worked, its worked for them since as long as I can remember. I don't anticipate this will change anytime soon.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Rangers Just hosed the league last season. This was with home grown talent as nothing more than back up. 

Their stab in the dark gamble on foreign players worked, its worked for them since as long as I can remember. I don't anticipate this will change anytime soon.

It might encourage other teams, but it certainly won't do anything to encourage Rangers to give youth a chance. They just got over £10m for someone who barely played for them. They probably have Steve Clarke to thank for driving up his pricetag. 

52 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It might encourage other teams, but it certainly won't do anything to encourage Rangers to give youth a chance. They just got over £10m for someone who barely played for them. They probably have Steve Clarke to thank for driving up his pricetag. 

Maybe but it does at least encourage them to keep investing in their youth system. For the first time in my lifetime, Rangers do seem to have a conveyor belt of promising youngsters coming through the ranks - which is quite damning and neglectful given the  size of the club

Edited by breeks_mctavish

I think people get carried away over Patterson’s lack of game time. 

He’s just turned 20 & he’s started in Europe and old firms. 

He has been fast tracked into the Scotland team because the guy playing in his position is barely upto SPL standard.

Rangers have underplayed him for sure but they will be encouraged to play more young players now, it’s probably no coincidence Leon King signed a new long term contract today and got promoted to their first team. 

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think people get carried away over Patterson’s lack of game time. 

He’s just turned 20 & he’s started in Europe and old firms. 

He has been fast tracked into the Scotland team because the guy playing in his position is barely upto SPL standard.

Rangers have underplayed him for sure but they will be encouraged to play more young players now, it’s probably no coincidence Leon King signed a new long term contract today and got promoted to their first team. 

Harsh to be overly critical on SOD who has never let us down in 20-30 appearances.

That said between Patterson and Ramsay who I've both seen enough of to say that they are potentially top drawer internationalists, and Hickey who's stats in Serie A suggest nothing but good things, we have a really exciting good full back issue emerging in the very near future. Steve Clarke's already shown that he's the man to manage these kind of dilemmas. 

Aberdeen should hold out for 8 figures based on Patterson's transfer details.

4 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Harsh to be overly critical on SOD who has never let us down in 20-30 appearances.

That said between Patterson and Ramsay who I've both seen enough of to say that they are potentially top drawer internationalists, and Hickey who's stats in Serie A suggest nothing but good things, we have a really exciting good full back issue emerging in the very near future. Steve Clarke's already shown that he's the man to manage these kind of dilemmas. 

One of the issues that non old firm clubs have with situations such as Ramsey is that by rejecting "large" transfer offers / holding out for bigger fees is that they leave themselves open to the player / agent demanding a wage that the club either cant afford or is unwilling to pay.

For example I imagine that Ramsey will be on a relatively low wage given that he hasnt long broken into the 1st team. (Id be hugely surprised if he was one of Aberdeens top earners). Thats fine atm however if Aberdeen turn down a bid of 3 or 4 million and say he is worth more then the player / agent will demand to be paid accordingly. 

This is the reality of football. If the club you play for values you at X million then they cant continue to pay you a youth player / squad player wage. They should be paying you a star players wage. 

4 hours ago, COLT NY said:

I may be wrong but I think transfer fees are to some degree influenced by the salary a player is on?

14 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Yet rarely let Scotland down. 

Patterson is a better player than SOD, there is no denying that but i find how dismissive some folk are of his contribution in a Scotland shirt a bit sad. 

I couldn't care less how he plays in the SPFL, he always put in a shift for scotland. If we are judging players on club appearances then Patterson would be nowhere near the squad as he spent most the season sitting on his arse but there is more to it than that. 

25 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I may be wrong but I think transfer fees are to some degree influenced by the salary a player is on?

I don't think they are at all. 

They are influenced by how much a club are willing to pay and how much the selling club will accept. 

For example, we sold Steven Naismith for £2m and he would have been on 1k a week max at that time. We had him on a 5 year deal so that meant we held the aces and Rangers had to stump up to get him. When we sold Boyd, he had run down his contact, was on more money but we could have lost him for nothing 6 months later so got peanuts for him (400k)

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think they are at all. 

They are influenced by how much a club are willing to pay and how much the selling club will accept. 

For example, we sold Steven Naismith for £2m and he would have been on 1k a week max at that time. We had him on a 5 year deal so that meant we held the aces and Rangers had to stump up to get him. When we sold Boyd, he had run down his contact, was on more money but we could have lost him for nothing 6 months later so got peanuts for him (400k)

Thanks for that. Clubs like Aberdeen and DunU really should hold out for better money then as Scottish football is being sold short. Trippier has just come from Spain to Newcastle for a similar fee to Patterson and the latter is ten years younger with arguably greater potential.

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Thanks for that. Clubs like Aberdeen and DunU really should hold out for better money then as Scottish football is being sold short. Trippier has just come from Spain to Newcastle for a similar fee to Patterson and the latter is ten years younger with arguably greater potential.

Aye, and Trippier would have been on probably 10x his wage. 

Lots of things will make up a players value but i think their wages at their current club is fairly low down. 

Contract length, player potential, number of interested clubs and financial state of selling clubs will be the big 4. 

26 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yet rarely let Scotland down. 

Patterson is a better player than SOD, there is no denying that but i find how dismissive some folk are of his contribution in a Scotland shirt a bit sad. 

I couldn't care less how he plays in the SPFL, he always put in a shift for scotland. If we are judging players on club appearances then Patterson would be nowhere near the squad as he spent most the season sitting on his arse but there is more to it than that. 

Fully agree with this,

The double standards displayed around the Patterson/O'Donnell and Patterson/Tavernier questions are illuminating.

15 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Maybe but it does at least encourage them to keep investing in their youth system. For the first time in my lifetime, Rangers do seem to have a conveyor belt of promising youngsters coming through the ranks - which is quite damning and neglectful given the  size of the club

I'm not so sure they will (invest in their own youth system). The 2 best players to come out of their academy essentially learned their trade at the Performance Schools (12-16). What they might do is try and recruit from those schools more, knowing they'll do all the hard work for them. 

Do Rangers have any other Performance School players on their books? Leon King maybe?