Scottish player transfers - Page 150 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Which of our current centre halfs are better? Excluding tierney S he is really a full back 

Well tierney has played for arsenal at centre back but even if we don't include him then theres Cooper, Hanley and Hendry who are all arguably playing at a better standard.

He could go onto bigger things but currently hes not better than our other centre backs. 

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well tierney has played for arsenal at centre back but even if we don't include him then theres Cooper, Hanley and Hendry who are all arguably playing at a better standard.

He could go onto bigger things but currently hes not better than our other centre backs. 

Exactly. Admittedly, I've not seen much of Harry Souttar, but we have 2 Premier League captains and a Champions League centre half. At least on paper, Souttar is not at their level. You could compare him to McKenna, I guess. Who also might go onto better things.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Liverpool coming in for Kerr Smith in January according to virtually every paper 

The next Andy Robertson or the next Danny Wilson? Just kidding. Kerr Smith is one of many on this conveyor belt of talent coming through. Add him to the likes of Liam Morrison, Dane Murray, Leon King etc and we are looking pretty good in defence in a few years.

The last time a few promising centre backs came through was Hendry, McKenna and Souttar. I remember thinking, even if only 1 makes it we'll be in better shape. It's now looking like all 3 are fulfilling their potential.

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

The next Andy Robertson or the next Danny Wilson? Just kidding. Kerr Smith is one of many on this conveyor belt of talent coming through. Add him to the likes of Liam Morrison, Dane Murray, Leon King etc and we are looking pretty good in defence in a few years.

The last time a few promising centre backs came through was Hendry, McKenna and Souttar. I remember thinking, even if only 1 makes it we'll be in better shape. It's now looking like all 3 are fulfilling their potential.

Tartan blood, I like your posts - I’d definitely describe you as glass half full! I try to be optimistic too but if I look at the career paths of Hendry, McKenna, Souttar somewhat more cynically I’d say McKenna so far is playing well for a bottom half championship team. Hendry‘s club career has taken a surprising but welcome turn for the better with Champions League football for Club Bruges. Still a bit hit and miss for the national side though. Souttar has been unlucky with injuries and hasn’t progressed his career much compared to 3 years ago. All decent players but if we want Scotland to get to the next level let’s hope the next lot are better than this (or the current crop are late bloomers who knows!)

21 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Tartan blood, I like your posts - I’d definitely describe you as glass half full! I try to be optimistic too but if I look at the career paths of Hendry, McKenna, Souttar somewhat more cynically I’d say McKenna so far is playing well for a bottom half championship team. Hendry‘s club career has taken a surprising but welcome turn for the better with Champions League football for Club Bruges. Still a bit hit and miss for the national side though. Souttar has been unlucky with injuries and hasn’t progressed his career much compared to 3 years ago. All decent players but if we want Scotland to get to the next level let’s hope the next lot are better than this (or the current crop are late bloomers who knows!)

I appreciate the compliment. Right back at you.

I most certainly do have unjustified optimism when it comes to Scotland. I'm a bit more cynical when it comes to news of 16 year old prodigies, as I've been burned many many times over the past decade and beyond. But I'm always hopeful.

Regarding the trio I mentioned, being centre backs, it's almost without exception that you don't fulfill your potential till much later.  Hanley is a pretty good example of that. David Weir played his best football in his mid 30s. So, I'd say time is on their side. 

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I appreciate the compliment. Right back at you.

I most certainly do have unjustified optimism when it comes to Scotland. I'm a bit more cynical when it comes to news of 16 year old prodigies, as I've been burned many many times over the past decade and beyond. But I'm always hopeful.

Regarding the trio I mentioned, being centre backs, it's almost without exception that you don't fulfill your potential till much later.  Hanley is a pretty good example of that. David Weir played his best football in his mid 30s. So, I'd say time is on their side. 

That is a good point and I hope their trajectory continues upwards. It was only very recently that our defensive options appeared nothing short of disastrous! So we are in a better place now, no doubt.

The fact that top sides are interested in our young players is a huge step forward. In the past we have had a few young players in big clubs academies and very much pinned our hopes on them when the stats will show the percentage that make it to the 1st team is very small.

The fact we have much greater numbers at these clubs now increases the chances of a few breaking through. If we could have a breakthrough talent like Gilmour, Hickey, Patterson every couple of seasons then the national squad will be in a much healthier place.

Then you have the natural knock on effect of teams paying more attention (and money) to our league when we have some success stories. If Bolonga get get money for Hickey then they and other Italian teams are more likely to keep an eye on what else is coming through.

If Tierney continues to play well at Arsenal then EPL teams wont be put off paying good money for our good young players etc etc

32 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The fact that top sides are interested in our young players is a huge step forward. In the past we have had a few young players in big clubs academies and very much pinned our hopes on them when the stats will show the percentage that make it to the 1st team is very small.

The fact we have much greater numbers at these clubs now increases the chances of a few breaking through. If we could have a breakthrough talent like Gilmour, Hickey, Patterson every couple of seasons then the national squad will be in a much healthier place.

Then you have the natural knock on effect of teams paying more attention (and money) to our league when we have some success stories. If Bolonga get get money for Hickey then they and other Italian teams are more likely to keep an eye on what else is coming through.

If Tierney continues to play well at Arsenal then EPL teams wont be put off paying good money for our good young players etc etc

This 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

I would agree. 

Also it would be even better if the talent coming through was spread all over the pitch especially in areas we need reinforcements such as goalkeepers and strikers.

46 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would agree. 

Also it would be even better if the talent coming through was spread all over the pitch especially in areas we need reinforcements such as goalkeepers and strikers.

I suppose theres nothing we can do to influence this part however theres no harm in having much several top players in the same position. As we have shown with Robertson and Tierney we can work around it. 

Also top players can adapt and still show their quality when played out of position. Ie McTom. He has his critics in defence but his ability to find a pass and execute it properly is a huge asset for us. Especially against smaller teams.

Ie against Moldova we could start with Tierney and McTom either side of a natural CB. They both would be beneficial going forward much more than 3 traditional CBs.

I believe we are 1 top centre forward away from reguarly getting to play offs and major comps.

Put any starting striker for a top 6 team in a major league into our team and we are a totally different beast.

Ie imagine us with Kane, Haarland, Jesus, Aguero, Lukaka etc etc 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Apparently PSG, Bayern and Athletico Madrid are tracking Patterson. 

Yet can't get a game for Rangers 😂😂

Hopefully the new manager changes it about. Stick Tav at RW and Patterson at RB. Tav is good enough to beat players stand up (not running from deep) and allows Patterson to develop in his natural position.

28 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Hopefully the new manager changes it about. Stick Tav at RW and Patterson at RB. Tav is good enough to beat players stand up (not running from deep) and allows Patterson to develop in his natural position.

Sums up Rangers in terms of youth development doesn’t it. 

In Patterson, McCrorie, Kelly, Kennedy etc theres the best crop of youth for years & also a huge potential in transfer fees to be taken in. As you say hopefully the new manager does the obvious and plays these guys. 

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Apparently PSG, Bayern and Athletico Madrid are tracking Patterson. 

Do you have any links for this? Can’t seem to find anything on it.

56 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Sums up Rangers in terms of youth development doesn’t it. 

In Patterson, McCrorie, Kelly, Kennedy etc theres the best crop of youth for years & also a huge potential in transfer fees to be taken in. As you say hopefully the new manager does the obvious and plays these guys. 

I still feel there is surely a better way to encourage clubs to integrate youth players into the first team by the SFA - be it a financial incentive or something like that. I know such steps get accused of being discriminatory but isn't it also detrimental to the Scottish game and discriminatory to young Scots to allow clubs to continue to spend money and bring in players from overseas.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Man city already have the Scotland u21 Goalie

He's usually on the bench for champ league games.

6 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Being a Rangers fan, what do you think Leon King should do? 

His contract will be up next summer will it? 

He’s better off moving to one of the English giants who have been after him for years isn’t he, bizarrely more chance of getting a game if he moves also. 

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Being a Rangers fan, what do you think Leon King should do? 

His contract will be up next summer will it? 

He’s better off moving to one of the English giants who have been after him for years isn’t he, bizarrely more chance of getting a game if he moves also. 

His contract is up this coming summer.

It depends on the new manager.

If they are just Gerrard 2.0 then King should let his contract run down and leave.

If the new manager is willing to give youth a chance and actually follows through with giving them a chance, then he should stay.

He is injured just now so I'm not sure if he'll get the chance to try and impress the new manager. Hopefully he is back by the winter break to try and impress in the training camp.

On a side note Gerrard was never, ever going to use him as a CB. Gerrard hates CBs under 6'2/3. King is 6 ft