Scottish player transfers - Page 147 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

11 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Just looked at Twitter, Liverpool fans think it's a terrible choice even to he there 3rd choice keeper which is what they are after. 

I think he is just going to be a latest in a long line of keepers who have played 100+ games in the Championship or a club elsewhere (ie Doni, Bogdan, Brad Jones, Danny Ward, Scott Carson etc....) who will only be used in an emergency or mainly in the league cup early rounds.

13 minutes ago, csinclair said:

Always found this piece by Rob Green a good insight into the life of a 3rd choice.

Sadly I can't really see anyone in desperate need of a first choice keeper at a reputable level atm so it's looking more & more likely that Marshall's international career is over.

All marshall needs to do is get himself to an spl club that need a decent keeper and he will keep his international career alive. There's probably some decent English league 1 sides looking for promotion who would sign him as well. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

All marshall needs to do is get himself to an spl club that need a decent keeper and he will keep his international career alive. There's probably some decent English league 1 sides looking for promotion who would sign him as well. 

It depends what he wants/needs. He is at the tail end of his career. A SPL team could only offer him a 8/10th of his wages (he is on 10/12k a week). It's a massive loss in income coming to a non OF club for him. League 1 the finances aren't great due to covid.

If he is going to Liverpool even as a 3rd choice he'd probably get a bump to atleast 15/20k a week.

6 hours ago, syecosse said:

Just looked at Twitter, Liverpool fans think it's a terrible choice even to he there 3rd choice keeper which is what they are after. 

If he goes to Liverpool, good for his bank balance but that will be the end of his Scotland career. He simply won't get games.

5 hours ago, csinclair said:

Looks like with Considine injured that Aberdeen are going to sign David Bates as he attempts to resurrect his career following an ok time in Belgium & being frozen out in Germany.

Hearts are interested too.

On paper, that sounds like a good signing, but I never really saw anything special from him when he played for Scotland. It was obvious he was included due to the team he played for, rather than ability.

That's probably too harsh, as he was still very young at the time, so we'll see how it goes for him. But that's Aberdeen filled with current/ex-internationalists. 

15 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

On paper, that sounds like a good signing, but I never really saw anything special from him when he played for Scotland. It was obvious he was included due to the team he played for, rather than ability.

That's probably too harsh, as he was still very young at the time, so we'll see how it goes for him. But that's Aberdeen filled with current/ex-internationalists. 

He was playing for a side in the German second division so I doubt his team had much to do with it. 

It shows just how far we have come with central defenders ability wise though.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He was playing for a side in the German second division so I doubt his team had much to do with it. 

It shows just how far we have come with central defenders ability wise though.

Oh I think you might be right. I'm sure we all equated German 2nd tier to English Championship, which is probably a vastly different level.

A lack of options was probably more likely the case. Now we have an excess of centre backs!

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Griffiths to Dundee on loan likely with a couple of clubs abroad also interested apparently. 

Would of thought he could get better than dundee but he's obviously got that nonce tag attached, rightly or wrongly. 

Edited by mccaughey85

6 hours ago, csinclair said:

Griffiths has been off the boil for a long time tbf and his stock has dropped a lot in that time through issues with both fitness and off field problems. He's not hit double figures since 2016/17 and when was he last 'fully fit'?

Sadly for me this is what sums up too many of our young players with potential - mindset, work ethic, professionalism, drive to better their skill set, commitment etc far too many display zero attributes when it comes to all of this 

How many Hibs players (through academy or played their when young) have displayed potential but turned out to be a bit of an idiot - O'Connor, Cummings, Riordan, Griff etc all appeared to have an ego on them and some false perception that they were better then they actually were. Score a few goals in the PL and they've made it they are billy big time with absolutely no substance behind them to back it up 

Sadly it feels like like this is a bit of a cultural issue too many of our clubs far too many players seem to feel that being a footballer is a well paid job rather than something they are truly passionate about and will do all they can to become the best version of themselves. However there is some players that seem to display the right qualities Christie, Armstrong, Gauld etc 

It always amazes me that Chairman, Directors of Football, Managers etc seem to let the behaviour and attitude flourish you need to create players with the right ability and attitude to have any sustainability in success as a footballer over the long term  

Edited by borojock

1 hour ago, From_Dundee_to_Ancoats said:

Christie to Bournemouth it seems

So underwhelming when there was talks of teams like Monaco. 

A player like Christie should have his pick of 2nd level teams when he is leaving on a free and wont be demanding huge wages.

He should be backing himself at a club like Everton, Leeds, Wolves kind of level or trying sometjing abroad. He could easily play for any Spanish side outside the big 3.

13 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

A player like Christie should have his pick of 2nd level teams when he is leaving on a free and wont be demanding huge wages.

He should be backing himself at a club like Everton, Leeds, Wolves kind of level or trying sometjing abroad. He could easily play for any Spanish side outside the big 3.

That's exactly what I was thinking: from Monaco, Nice and Sampdoria to fecking Bournemouth!

He'd be as well signing a new contract and staying put if the only interested is Bournemouth.

40 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Spot on!  This is really disappointing if it goes through!  Championship football is 95% horse sh*t, at least he has some European games at Celtic.   

I always thought Rodgers would take at least Christie and McGregor down to Leicester but I suppose they can aim for more "glamourous" players now they're punching above their weight in the EPL.  Both could easily hold down first team football at any EPL team outside the normal top 5.