Scottish player transfers - Page 144 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

It's gone under the radar a bit but Ryan Gauld's transfer to Vancouver has been completed now. A tragedy for the national side because I can't see him making the squad from that distance. If does well perhaps a Porto or a Benfica or an EPL team come in for him but it's more likely he'll be forgotten, just like Lewis Morgan who at one time was shaping up to be a good player for us.

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It's gone under the radar a bit but Ryan Gauld's transfer to Vancouver has been completed now. A tragedy for the national side because I can't see him making the squad from that distance. If does well perhaps a Porto or a Benfica or an EPL team come in for him but it's more likely he'll be forgotten, just like Lewis Morgan who at one time was shaping up to be a good player for us.

So he isn't the wonder kid he was made out to be but a few posters?

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not saying he's a wonder kid but he must have been close to consideration: you can't downplay what he achieved for a struggling team in Portugal.

I wonder just how close he was. Was he an injury to Turnbull away from being included? Or would Clarke just have taken an extra striker or right back?

This could be a sliding doors moment for Scotland. 

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

So he isn't the wonder kid he was made out to be but a few posters?

If your talking about Lewis Morgan, he seems to be doing next to nothing this season. One goal and one assist in 14 matches is a pretty poor return for a player in his position.

If it's Ryan Gauld lets wait and see how he gets on in one of the worst teams in the MLS.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If your talking about Lewis Morgan, he seems to be doing next to nothing this season. One goal and one assist in 14 matches is a pretty poor return for a player in his position.

If it's Ryan Gauld lets wait and see how he gets on in one of the worst teams in the MLS.

If gauld was that good he wouldn't be heading to the MLS, especially one of the worst teams 

21 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not saying he's a wonder kid but he must have been close to consideration: you can't downplay what he achieved for a struggling team in Portugal.

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If gauld was that good he wouldn't be heading to the MLS, especially one of the worst teams 

It's one of the strangest moves ever. No idea what wage he could command in Europe but I doubt it is close to the 40k a week in Canada.

If those sort of wages are common in the states there would be a lot more decent players there.

It's almost like some Canadian checked "WhoScored" and went , oh look he's available for nothing lets get him.

Don't know how reliable the web is but McGinn earns 50k a week from what I could find.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

46 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's one of the strangest moves ever. No idea what wage he could command in Europe but I doubt it is close to the 40k a week in Canada.

If those sort of wages are common in the states there would be a lot more decent players there.

It's almost like some Canadian checked "WhoScored" and went , oh look he's available for nothing lets get him.

Don't know how reliable the web is but McGinn earns 50k a week from what I could find.

He's only on those wages are he's signed as a 'Designated player'. Each team is allowed 3 players outside of the salary cap, a rule which was brought in so LA Galaxy could sign Beckham. The likes of Morgan & Findlay won't be on big money over there

57 minutes ago, csinclair said:

He's only on those wages are he's signed as a 'Designated player'. Each team is allowed 3 players outside of the salary cap, a rule which was brought in so LA Galaxy could sign Beckham. The likes of Morgan & Findlay won't be on big money over there

Got it so you can only pay 3 players that much explains why there are some world class older players.

Looking around and Lewis Morgan is on 6k.

Big gamble for the Whitecaps then.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hopefully it's somewhere he will get games, still a young lad and another couple of seasons at hibs would do him good imo. 

I cant see him starting at any of the clubs qouted other than Celtic.

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

We all know how daft the Canadians are :headbang:

57 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I cant see him starting at any of the clubs qouted other than Celtic.

With the rebuild Celtic still have to do, I don't see them spending £5 million on a 19 year old LB when they still have Taylor, Bolingoli and Montgomery.

They still have to fill GK, RB, CB and ST. I'd say they need a couple of midfielders aswell and back ups in other positions. LB doesn't seem a priority for them atm.

8 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

With the rebuild Celtic still have to do, I don't see them spending £5 million on a 19 year old LB when they still have Taylor, Bolingoli and Montgomery.

They still have to fill GK, RB, CB and ST. I'd say they need a couple of midfielders aswell and back ups in other positions. LB doesn't seem a priority for them atm.

Starting to wonder if Celtic have real money to spend or if they are waiting to offload Edouard before they can spend anyway. 

Very odd what’s going on at that club just now. 

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Starting to wonder if Celtic have real money to spend or if they are waiting to offload Edouard before they can spend anyway. 

Very odd what’s going on at that club just now. 

My Celtic supporting mate thought it was noticeable that Starvelt wasn't signed untill Ajer was confirmed to leave.

Whether that was due to softening the loss of Ajer or because they had to confirm the money coming in is another thing.

I'd say they have money to invest in the squad but not as much as Celtic fans would want and have been trying to build the squad on a certain budget.

I said before the season ended and Celtic fans were talking about spending £35-45 million to do a complete rebuild that they wouldn't spend more than £20 million (£25 million at a push). Even if Edouard leaves for £20 million they aren't going to invest it all into the playing squad.

It should be also added that a failure to qualify for the Europa League would be a loss of £13/14+ million in revenue (gate receipts included), failure to get to the Conference league would probably be a loss of £8-10+ million in revenue (gate receipts included). While I doubt Celtic don't make it to atleast the Conference League, that would be a significant loss in revenue. They may be waiting to make sure they make it to these competitions. 

Covid has hammered every club. 

My club (Rangers) are in a bad financial situation but one that can be covered if we make the champions league group stages. So we are doing something similar and holding off on player sales to see if we make the champions league group stages. If we don't I can see 2 or 3 going for sadly less than we as club value them at.

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

My Celtic supporting mate thought it was noticeable that Starvelt wasn't signed untill Ajer was confirmed to leave.

Whether that was due to softening the loss of Ajer or because they had to confirm the money coming in is another thing.

I'd say they have money to invest in the squad but not as much as Celtic fans would want and have been trying to build the squad on a certain budget.

I said before the season ended and Celtic fans were talking about spending £35-45 million to do a complete rebuild that they wouldn't spend more than £20 million (£25 million at a push). Even if Edouard leaves for £20 million they aren't going to invest it all into the playing squad.

It should be also added that a failure to qualify for the Europa League would be a loss of £13/14+ million in revenue (gate receipts included), failure to get to the Conference league would probably be a loss of £8-10+ million in revenue (gate receipts included). While I doubt Celtic don't make it to atleast the Conference League, that would be a significant loss in revenue. They may be waiting to make sure they make it to these competitions. 

Covid has hammered every club. 

My club (Rangers) are in a bad financial situation but one that can be covered if we make the champions league group stages. So we are doing something similar and holding off on player sales to see if we make the champions league group stages. If we don't I can see 2 or 3 going for sadly less than we as club value them at.

Celtic are on the verge of selling/releasing upwards of 15 players. Some first teamers, some loans and fringe players. That is a hell of a lot of wages being freed up. Frimpong and Ajer sales alone could fund 4 or 5 new players. Covid is a factor, but only a relatively small one for a club that size. They sold out all their virtual season tickets.

Celtic can afford to buy enough players to become a force again if they have the desire. Personally, I'm rooting for them to go out and sign all the best Scots that need to be playing at a higher level e.g Marshall, Nisbet, Souttar

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Celtic are on the verge of selling/releasing upwards of 15 players. Some first teamers, some loans and fringe players. That is a hell of a lot of wages being freed up. Frimpong and Ajer sales alone could fund 4 or 5 new players. Covid is a factor, but only a relatively small one for a club that size. They sold out all their virtual season tickets.

Celtic can afford to buy enough players to become a force again if they have the desire. Personally, I'm rooting for them to go out and sign all the best Scots that need to be playing at a higher level e.g Marshall, Nisbet, Souttar

I don't see them signing any Scottish players if I'm honest. 

James McCarthy will be the closest to a Scottish player they sign.

I'm sure Frimpong covered last season's losses. They have freed up a lot of wages as that was one of their biggest losses, along with "probably" getting rid of Lawwells wages and bonuses. I'm just a bit baffled why they aren't signing players tbh. They have signed like 3 first team signings (Starvelt, Furuhoshi and Abada) with 2 young players who aren't ready (Shaw and Urhoghide). We all said they needed atleast 10 players who could compete for the first team. It makes no sense why they can't get players in.

15 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hopefully it's somewhere he will get games, still a young lad and another couple of seasons at hibs would do him good imo. 

Sounds like Burnley and Watford are the frontrunners. Burnley would be a good move as he would learn loads defensively and probably also his best chance of getting into the team.

23 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Not sure that it's a tragedy for the national team. 

As i said previously, it's telling no big clubs in England game in for him. Fair play to him but think some folk are painting a picture of him being some wonderkid, when in reality is he isn't. 

He is a good option to have if we have injuries but that's about it i think. 

15 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I don't see them signing any Scottish players if I'm honest. 

James McCarthy will be the closest to a Scottish player they sign.

I'm sure Frimpong covered last season's losses. They have freed up a lot of wages as that was one of their biggest losses, along with "probably" getting rid of Lawwells wages and bonuses. I'm just a bit baffled why they aren't signing players tbh. They have signed like 3 first team signings (Starvelt, Furuhoshi and Abada) with 2 young players who aren't ready (Shaw and Urhoghide). We all said they needed atleast 10 players who could compete for the first team. It makes no sense why they can't get players in.

They won't, but they should (sign Scots). David Marshall would be a significant improvement on their current goalies. Stephen O'Donnell would be better than Ralston. Souttar would be better than just about any of their CBs. Nisbet is a Hooper-esque striker they've been screaming out for.