Scottish player transfers - Page 142 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

6 hours ago, csinclair said:

I was reading an interview with Ange the other day where he was bemoaning not having new players in time for the CL qualifiers and saying any new signing would need to quarantine because they're coming from another country and it shows an immediate problem when they're instantly dismissing domestic signings. There are plenty of Scottish based players who would improve that Celtic side.

That’s a very good point.

They could probably quite easily sign the likes of Doig & Nisbet but they’d rather go for foreign imports who usually you’ve never heard of. 

56 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

That’s a very good point.

They could probably quite easily sign the likes of Doig & Nisbet but they’d rather go for foreign imports who usually you’ve never heard of. 

Nisbet especially is such an obvious, risk-free signing. You know he at least can excel in the SPFL and his wages would be negligible. 

O'Donnell is another. He is far superior to Ralston. I can't imagine Marshall would cost more than they flushed down the pan for Barkas either.

International players ready to go, but they'd rather wait for young foreigners instead.

8 hours ago, csinclair said:

I was reading an interview with Ange the other day where he was bemoaning not having new players in time for the CL qualifiers and saying any new signing would need to quarantine because they're coming from another country and it shows an immediate problem when they're instantly dismissing domestic signings. There are plenty of Scottish based players who would improve that Celtic side.

Last night Celtic had to rely on an 18 year old dane murray at centre back who has never played a game before after Bitton got red carded. That to me is a mental approach to what are some of the biggest games of the season for celtic. If I was a celtic fan I would be fuming. They continually go out and spend 2/3m on projects that often don't work out when they would be better spending 6/7m on some tried and tested guy from Eastern Europe or the northern countries. Celtics backline last night was ralston, Taylor, Bitton, Welsh. Thats not good enough to get anywhere near the europa league let alone the champs league. 

Every year celtic go into their euro qualifiers under prepared and end up fucking it. This is a club who raked in champs league money for years and have made unbelievable money in transfer fees from players they bought for peanuts but they won't properly spend on replacements. 

As I said if I was a celtic fan I would be raging mad. 

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Last night Celtic had to rely on an 18 year old dane murray at centre back who has never played a game before after Bitton got red carded. That to me is a mental approach to what are some of the biggest games of the season for celtic. If I was a celtic fan I would be fuming. They continually go out and spend 2/3m on projects that often don't work out when they would be better spending 6/7m on some tried and tested guy from Eastern Europe or the northern countries. Celtics backline last night was ralston, Taylor, Bitton, Welsh. Thats not good enough to get anywhere near the europa league let alone the champs league. 

Every year celtic go into their euro qualifiers under prepared and end up fucking it. This is a club who raked in champs league money for years and have made unbelievable money in transfer fees from players they bought for peanuts but they won't properly spend on replacements. 

Am I on the right forum here?

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Great post !!!!

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Celtic's approach seems to be to buy in young, inexperienced and relatively cheap player from abroad with the intention of getting a couple of good years out of them and then selling them on for a tidy profit.  Occasionally that works with, for example, Van Dijk, Dembele, Wanyama and now probably Ajer.  It would be interesting to see how that side of the balance sheet stacks up against the complete flops and whether or not they're in credit.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Celtic's approach seems to be to buy in young, inexperienced and relatively cheap player from abroad with the intention of getting a couple of good years out of them and then selling them on for a tidy profit.  Occasionally that works with, for example, Van Dijk, Dembele, Wanyama and now probably Ajer.  It would be interesting to see how that side of the balance sheet stacks up against the complete flops and whether or not they're in credit.

Oh they are definitely in credit. £11m for Frimpong, £13m for Ajer, £19m Dembele, and that's just in the last few years. Add Forster, Wanyama, and VVD, were all over £10m. Plus probably some others I can't remember.

It's a good business model that doesn't really encourage signing Scots from the SPFL, unfortunately. But they did make big money on Tierney and McGeady, so maybe that is an incentive to develop young Scots at the very least.

34 minutes ago, aaid said:

As tartan blood said they will be well in credit overall as they have received big money for their players over the last 7/8 years. 

I just think it's madness how underprepared they are going into these qualifiers. Relying on an 18 year old centre back who has never played a professional game is crazy. Even relying on inexperienced stephen Welsh is silly. 

Celtic really need to go out and spend big this summer as they are losing/lost their three best players. If they don't then I don't see them standing much chance of winning the league. 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

As tartan blood said they will be well in credit overall as they have received big money for their players over the last 7/8 years. 

I just think it's madness how underprepared they are going into these qualifiers. Relying on an 18 year old centre back who has never played a professional game is crazy. Even relying on inexperienced stephen Welsh is silly. 

Celtic really need to go out and spend big this summer as they are losing/lost their three best players. If they don't then I don't see them standing much chance of winning the league. 

I'm not expert on Celtic but for the obvious successes that have been mentioned, I suspect there's many many more over the last decade or so that have been bought for 2, 3, 4 million, been total flops and who left for a loss.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I'm not expert on Celtic but for the obvious successes that have been mentioned, I suspect there's many many more over the last decade or so that have been bought for 2, 3, 4 million, been total flops and who left for a loss.

Yup. They had a few who worked out really well - Van Dijk, Wanyama etc. They then went all in for this model but tipped the balance too far and signed too many 'potential' players from abroad. 

30 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

But hey, fuck them, they are an absolute drain on Scottish football potential and I wish them all the worst. I still 'supported' the Scottish players last night, in my mind. Seems pretty clear that they are encouraging passing out from the back. Dale Murray did really well but overhit a few diagonals. 

Exactly. I "support" any team with Scottish internationalists in it. Whether we like it or not, (the past 10 years at least) Celtic have always had the most international Scots. That's why I bother to keep abreast of the goings on at Celtic, and why I take so much umbrage with the transfer policy and player development. 

This year, I'm apparently a Norwich City fan though! 

15 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I don’t think they could, gone are the days of derisory bids and Daily Record exclusives on players being denied their dream move. Hibs won’t shit their pants and except the first bid anymore, clubs down south will easily outbid them if the player is good enough. 

4 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I don’t think they could, gone are the days of derisory bids and Daily Record exclusives on players being denied their dream move. Hibs won’t shit their pants and except the first bid anymore, clubs down south will easily outbid them if the player is good enough. 

Maybe not but clubs are skint now. 

I doubt Hibs could turn down £3-4M for Doig or Nisbet and also doubt those players would turn down the chance to move to Parkhead either. And that’s even with the present fiasco there. 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Maybe not but clubs are skint now. 

I doubt Hibs could turn down £3-4M for Doig or Nisbet and also doubt those players would turn down the chance to move to Parkhead either. And that’s even with the present fiasco there. 

Hibs knocked back 3 million for Nisbet 7 months ago and he has a 5 year contract, so he won’t get to “turn down the chance” till 2025 at the earliest 

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Oh they are definitely in credit. £11m for Frimpong, £13m for Ajer, £19m Dembele, and that's just in the last few years. Add Forster, Wanyama, and VVD, were all over £10m. Plus probably some others I can't remember.

It's a good business model that doesn't really encourage signing Scots from the SPFL, unfortunately. But they did make big money on Tierney and McGeady, so maybe that is an incentive to develop young Scots at the very least.

There’s loads of examples of expensive flops though to offset those sales;

Ajeti, Jullien, Barkas, Bolingoli - those are just very recent examples… add in Various loans with big transfer fees & not to mention there ridiculous wage bill

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Hibs knocked back 3 million for Nisbet 7 months ago and he has a 5 year contract, so he won’t get to “turn down the chance” till 2025 at the earliest 

I’ll be very surprised if he is still at Hibs at the end of this transfer window. 

36 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

There’s loads of examples of expensive flops though to offset those sales;

Ajeti, Jullien, Barkas, Bolingoli - those are just very recent examples… add in Various loans with big transfer fees & not to mention there ridiculous wage bill

It's too early to label ajeti a flop and I would say jullien has been relatively successful for celtic. Fair enough their has been a fair few flops that you never mentioned like klimala, bayo etc. 

I would say overall celtic have been very successful with their transfer dealings in recent years but I think this season they need to spend big on some tried and tested guys if they are going to compete for the title. Also if they want to keep the wage budget high then they need to be qualifying for the champs or europa league which means investing big money on their squad so they can get there. 

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Hopefully scottish clubs start to hold out for more. Guys like Sam Cosgrove, nisbet etc are being touted for 2/3m while your average English championship strikers are priced at 10m or more. If mcburnie is worth 20m then nisbet should be going for nearer 5m at least.